Turn on thread page Beta

"you can never have complete equality until there is equality across the board" watch

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion you will never have equality until there is equality across the board, where race/sex etc is brought out of the whole equation.

There are many positive descrimination schemes etc things out there - for example - all grants available to people of "ethnic minority" or who are female - why should they be treated better than whites or males, (it doesnt cost them more to come to uni- i have nothing against grants for disbaled etc - but even they arent as common as grants for "widening participation").

By treating people differently because of race/sex you make the population do the same. If universities/government/other institutions treated everybody the same (positive and negative descrimination) i think the general population would soon follow suit.

You cant pick and choose where descrimination is acceptable - it has to be equal across the board.

What are your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Do people really think race is a barrier in modern Britain? I don't. Is it skin colour holding back a black man from Hackney or social class; quality of state schools especially.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.