The Student Room Group

UCAS applications

Hi,
I've got my predicted grades after doing year 12 exams. The problem is that I know I won't be achieving them. So my question is: will university offers be given based on their entry requirements or my predicted grades? Say I apply to an AAA university, will my conditional offer be AAA or will it be my predicted grade? I'm asking as I don't want to be left stranded with 5 unachievable offers.
Universities will almost always make offers in line with their standard entry requirements.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Hi,
I've got my predicted grades after doing year 12 exams. The problem is that I know I won't be achieving them. So my question is: will university offers be given based on their entry requirements or my predicted grades? Say I apply to an AAA university, will my conditional offer be AAA or will it be my predicted grade? I'm asking as I don't want to be left stranded with 5 unachievable offers.

what makes you think you cant achieve your predicted grades already? im assuming they are based on the tests you did so it must be some show of your ability? + your in year 12 you still have a year to improve!
The usual advice is to have 5 choices with a range of entry grades - some Unis/courses will make offers to those with predicted grades just below their entry requiements, there no guarantee but its worth a punt with one choice.
So....
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grades

Just be aware that any application to Cambidge, Oxford, UCL, KCL and LSE is risky even if you have the right grades - simply because so many people apply there.

More advice about |How to Avoid 5 Rejections - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
From what I’ve seen, they use predicted grades to choose who to make offers to. Your predicteds have to be at least their entry requirements, then the minimum offer will be their entry requirement or in some cases higher than that based on the context of your school (some unis do this some don’t). Eg if you’re predicted A*AA and you’ve applied to a course whose entry requirement is AAA, you’ll get an offer of AAA most likely or if they’re a uni that wants to make contextualised offers based on how your school performs, they make ask for A*AA. I don’t think they can ask for more than your predicteds or they wouldn’t make the offer in the first place. That’s what it seems like to me (someone correct me if I’m wrong lol)

They would only ask for lower than AAA if you’re a widening participation student I think
Original post by Spelunker
what makes you think you cant achieve your predicted grades already? im assuming they are based on the tests you did so it must be some show of your ability? + your in year 12 you still have a year to improve!

Look, I try and all in school but there isn't any chance at all that I achieve 3 A*s. I'm confident in being able to achieve A*AA but even then I'll have to really put the effort in. Thanks for the confidence but I don't want to screw myself over in a year's time lol.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Look, I try and all in school but there isn't any chance at all that I achieve 3 A*s. I'm confident in being able to achieve A*AA but even then I'll have to really put the effort in. Thanks for the confidence but I don't want to screw myself over in a year's time lol.

Universities make offers at their published rates rather than your predicted grades. If you are in a poorly performing school and are entitled to it they offer you the lower contextual offer.
Original post by Just bliss <3
I don’t think they can ask for more than your predicteds or they wouldn’t make the offer in the first place. That’s what it seems like to me (someone correct me if I’m wrong lol).

Not really true. Unis make aspirational offers, (higher than predicted grades) all the time. They can also make offers higher than the typically advertised grades if they want. But as PQ says, the vast majority of successful candidates get the typical offer.

Original post by Just bliss <3
They would only ask for lower than AAA if you’re a widening participation student I think

Again, not really true tbh. As well as widening participation, there's also contextual offer criteria which typically reduce the grade requirement. Unis can also make lower offers for any reason they wish - typically if they're struggling to get numbers onto the course, IE. a recruitment tool.
Original post by Admit-One
Again, not really true tbh. As well as widening participation, there's also contextual offer criteria which typically reduce the grade requirement. Unis can also make lower offers for any reason they wish - typically if they're struggling to get numbers onto the course, IE. a recruitment tool.

Whoops I knew way less than I thought, thanks for the clarification
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities make offers at their published rates rather than your predicted grades. If you are in a poorly performing school and are entitled to it they offer you the lower contextual offer.

Thanks for the clarification. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending