gcse year 10 help

Watch this thread
zeam26
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey everyone, im a year 10 average student. not smart not dumb set 2 with a few 3's type of level out of 5. i just took ppe's with upcoming mocks at the end of the year. no matter how hard i revise i can never remember any of it even when i get in early a hour before a exam, and dont have all the time in the world to keep going over it. the subjects that are my main concern are computer science(ocr j277), economics (ocr) history (exam board not sure) and science (pearson edexcel foundation) not in any order- i do past papers flash cards everything it dosent stick with me. any help please ??
Last edited by zeam26; 1 month ago
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
What types of things do you put on your flashcards? If they have too much information, the content will be difficult to remember. Are your notes for each subject sufficient so that you can make efficient flashcards?

You could also try techniques like mindmaps and blurting if you wish. See how they work for you. Online resources like Seneca, freesciencelessons and Cognito might also be useful for the sciences in particular, as well as your textbook for additional questions.

For history revision, make sure you take as many notes as you can to gather an understanding, and create resources at home. Timelines and tables are good, as well as mindmaps. Then, complete practice questions using socio-historical context and get your teacher to mark them. Own knowledge is an essential part of GCSE History, so anything (even mnemonics) to remember key dates, important names and the gist of life in the past is valuable.
zeam26
Rep:
(Original post by SagaciousSag)
What types of things do you put on your flashcards? If they have too much information, the content will be difficult to remember. Are your notes for each subject sufficient so that you can make efficient flashcards?

You could also try techniques like mindmaps and blurting if you wish. See how they work for you. Online resources like Seneca, freesciencelessons and Cognito might also be useful for the sciences in particular, as well as your textbook for additional questions.

For history revision, make sure you take as many notes as you can to gather an understanding, and create resources at home. Timelines and tables are good, as well as mindmaps. Then, complete practice questions using socio-historical context and get your teacher to mark them. Own knowledge is an essential part of GCSE History, so anything (even mnemonics) to remember key dates, important names and the gist of life in the past is valuable.
i put key words on flashcards but seem to forget EVERYTHING in 2 days even if i go through them and remember the day before its weird as im not behind i pass everything but science. will try those methods though thank you !
jamsparkle
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
have you tried making flashcards and putting them into something like anki? it uses spaced repetition - basically it will give you the flashcards at set intervals based on how easily you're recalling the information so it stays in your long term memory - it's not that great for cramming but in the long term it can really help i think or you could try revising a topic then teaching it to someone... even if it's just you talking to a wall it can help to say stuff out loud and lets you organise the information in a way which you know you understand

also history - if there's any subject you NEED to know your exam board for it's that: the exam technique and content you need to know can differ massively between exam boards and you need to make sure you know HOW to answer the questions as well as contextual knowledge (which is also obviously very important for history) because in all honesty it often feels like you could walk into a history exam knowing all the content and come out with a low grade because you haven't answered the questions in the way that the exam board wants

also for history i'd recommend using revision guides (i liked the person ones with the purple covers) - the textbooks can be really good in lessons etc but the revision guides are really good for trimming it down to what you actually need to make sure you learn for your exam (which is especially important in something like history bc it feels like there's no limit to the amount of content you could be tested on)
Last edited by jamsparkle; 1 month ago
zeam26
Rep:
i will try the flashcards method they do tend to help but i forget maybe i should do it every night before i sleep there are just too many.
history i will try find a revision guide, any you personally recommend? i was told to structure my pragraphs in ppe (point explain link) but i can never form them right which is probally a mig part in why i know stuff but dont do well !

(Original post by jamsparkle)
have you tried making flashcards and putting them into something like anki? it uses spaced repetition - basically it will give you the flashcards at set intervals based on how easily you're recalling the information so it stays in your long term memory - it's not that great for cramming but in the long term it can really help i think or you could try revising a topic then teaching it to someone... even if it's just you talking to a wall it can help to say stuff out loud and lets you organise the information in a way which you know you understand

also history - if there's any subject you NEED to know your exam board for it's that: the exam technique and content you need to know can differ massively between exam boards and you need to make sure you know HOW to answer the questions as well as contextual knowledge (which is also obviously very important for history) because in all honesty it often feels like you could walk into a history exam knowing all the content and come out with a low grade because you haven't answered the questions in the way that the exam board wants

also for history i'd recommend using revision guides (i liked the person ones with the purple covers) - the textbooks can be really good in lessons etc but the revision guides are really good for trimming it down to what you actually need to make sure you learn for your exam (which is especially important in something like history bc it feels like there's no limit to the amount of content you could be tested on)
Last edited by zeam26; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads