Asking for money back from friends

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What’s the least awkward way of asking for money back from friends after a night out?
Bought drinks cos everyone’s card declined & now that’s night out was expensive. How do I say it without being grubby
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What’s the least awkward way of asking for money back from friends after a night out?
Bought drinks cos everyone’s card declined & now that’s night out was expensive. How do I say it without being grubby
I suspect you will be fortunate to see a penny of that. A bit too convenient that their cards were declined wasn't it?
Mohammed_80
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ask politely in the event that happens again, arrangements should be made individually as to how payments should be occurred don’t volunteer. Otherwise people will take advantage of you for the naivety, and willingness.
YaliaV123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They will probably keep making excuses. Real friends wouldn't do that, so learn a lesson from this.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Next time you go out say, right guys the drinks are on you this evening
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Did any of them agree to pay you back for the drinks?

Best to write it off as a bad debt or view it as the cost of going out and having drinks with them.
Next time think twice before you agree to pick up the bill unless you invited them all and believe that 'asker pays' for everyone they invite.
That's what I do.

Above all- don't lend anyone cash that you can't afford to lose or agree to pay a friend's utility bills on your card- EVER.
Word travels very fast.
Then people start to view you as a cash point or their personal interest free overdraft rather than as a friend.
Gavin2016
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the above comments, Muttley in particular. I'm sorry that you're in this position as the uncomfortable truth is I'm afraid is that they were probably using you. I know that isn't nice to hear but I think it's probably best to move on from it all. If you went out with them again the same would likely happen.

I wouldn't bother taking any of this up with them as you'd just get a load of agro thrown at you most likely. End of the day they aren't nice people to do that to you so best not to spend much time around them or waste good energy chasing them for money or arguing with them. Put it down to a money spent learning a valuable lesson and let's face it any learning cones at a cost, as the saying goes 'live and learn'.

If something like this happens again I would just state that you don't have the money to buy everyone drinks or whatever they are asking for, don't let others mooch of you is the bottom line.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.9%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.42%

Watched Threads