Psychology Courses with a more Sociological spin?

Watch this thread
IsraRai
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello. I am currently in Year 12, looking to do psychology at Uni, and I will be going for early UCAS application for Cambridge. I think I could get in, but I need help choosing four more universities, as I know that there's obviously a high chance I won't. One thing I like about Cambridge's course is that it is Psychology with Behavioural Sciences; I really enjoy the idea of studying sociology/philosophy/anthropology alongside the course. This is probably because I'm taking English Lit and RS&P with Psych at A-level (rather than subjects such as Bio or Maths). I am perfectly happy with studying cognitive, biological, neuroscientific approaches, statistics, etc. on the course, I expect nothing less, but I am grateful for the more sociological aspects of the course.

However, I don't know of other courses that are like this. Having attended Cardiff Uni's open day today, I'm a little bit let down that while they seem very proud of their neuroscientific facilities and course, that's all there really is- they have great placement and research opportunities, but almost all of the facilities are based around EEGs, MEGs, and MRIs. I'm wondering if there are any courses that have a slightly more diverse curriculum, and I'm worried that all of my own interests are going to jarr with any of the BPS accredited courses no matter where I go. I'm looking at the Anti-Psychiatry movement, the argument for formulation over diagnostic labelling, feminist psychology and gender differences in psychology, but I don't feel these will be reflected if I have to take a course that is mostly neuroscience for 3-4 years.

Are there any other courses?
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I suggest you take a look at the list of BPS accredited courses here, but filter on the word "and". That will find you courses that have enough "pure" Psychology content to keep the BPS happy, but where there is some other element to the degree.

There are several "Psychology and Sociology" courses listed. I even saw a "Psychology and Social Anthropology" before I stopped scrolling.

BTW, in addition to Cambridge, both Durham and the LSE do "Psychological and Behavioural Science".
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Just to add to the above - 'and' is a 50/50 split, 'with' would have less of the second subject
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
32%
Take a gap year (6)
24%
Resit my exams (6)
24%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12%
I don't know yet (1)
4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4%

Watched Threads