Maintenance loan much lower than expected

Watch this thread
LizBar
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'll have two children at university from September.
My son, going into his first year, has been awarded the amount expected based on online calculators, and the whole process has been very smooth and easy.

My eldest, going back for their second year, has a more complicated situation. They had an NHS bursary for the first year, but have opted out of this for the second year, choosing to apply for the full amount from SFE.

They have been allocated around 1/4 of the amount expected. This amount keeps going down on subsequent award letters. Two weeks ago we had a letter saying SFE would pay tuition fees, today's award notice shows no tuition fees.

It feels like we're banging our heads against a brick wall. Something is clearly amiss, but every time we call SFE we're told to wait until X date.

I don't know whether my eldest filled something out incorrectly at some stage, or whether something else has gone wrong, and I have no idea how to find out, or how to get past someone just telling me to wait a bit longer.

I noticed an option on the SFE site to submit a new application. I'm wondering whether that's the best option at this point - we've been two months trying to figure it all out so far. If we can't rectify this, there's no way my eldest can afford to return to university.
SFE Erin N
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LizBar)
I'll have two children at university from September.
My son, going into his first year, has been awarded the amount expected based on online calculators, and the whole process has been very smooth and easy.

My eldest, going back for their second year, has a more complicated situation. They had an NHS bursary for the first year, but have opted out of this for the second year, choosing to apply for the full amount from SFE.

They have been allocated around 1/4 of the amount expected. This amount keeps going down on subsequent award letters. Two weeks ago we had a letter saying SFE would pay tuition fees, today's award notice shows no tuition fees.

It feels like we're banging our heads against a brick wall. Something is clearly amiss, but every time we call SFE we're told to wait until X date.

I don't know whether my eldest filled something out incorrectly at some stage, or whether something else has gone wrong, and I have no idea how to find out, or how to get past someone just telling me to wait a bit longer.

I noticed an option on the SFE site to submit a new application. I'm wondering whether that's the best option at this point - we've been two months trying to figure it all out so far. If we can't rectify this, there's no way my eldest can afford to return to university.
Hi There,

If your eldest child’s entitlement has changed several times then we’d recommend she gets in touch with us directly so an advisor can check her account. She can either call us on 0300 100 0607 or contact using the live chat or secure messaging services on your online account.

Thanks, Erin N
LizBar
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Erin N)
Hi There,

If your eldest child’s entitlement has changed several times then we’d recommend she gets in touch with us directly so an advisor can check her account. She can either call us on 0300 100 0607 or contact using the live chat or secure messaging services on your online account.

Thanks, Erin N
Thank you. Unfortunately we have called several times and are getting different answers from different advisors. Everyone wants us to wait until X date, but the date changes with each phone call. Nothing seems to be happening other than the amount of finance gradually diminishing. It's frustrating that there's no option to escalate a concern when we've spoken to several advisors without a satisfactory response. There's also no way to see what my eldest has put on their application in order to ascertain if there's been a mistake, since that information isn't available anywhere in their account so far as we can see.

They're also on a medical placement, out of the house from 5am-9pm M-F, which makes calling SFE very difficult given that the wait seems to be 40 minutes and upwards whenever we've tried to call.

I shall try the secure messaging service and see if we can get a more satisfactory response.
Lynsey SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you. Unfortunately we have called several times and are getting different answers from different advisors. Everyone wants us to wait until X date, but the date changes with each phone call. Nothing seems to be happening other than the amount of finance gradually diminishing. It's frustrating that there's no option to escalate a concern when we've spoken to several advisors without a satisfactory response. There's also no way to see what my eldest has put on their application in order to ascertain if there's been a mistake, since that information isn't available anywhere in their account so far as we can see.

They're also on a medical placement, out of the house from 5am-9pm M-F, which makes calling SFE very difficult given that the wait seems to be 40 minutes and upwards whenever we've tried to call.

I shall try the secure messaging service and see if we can get a more satisfactory response.
Hello,

We are unable to provide a definitive date, the workflow we provide is an expected date; the dates can fluctuate depending on the volume of applications and evidence received.

Just to make you aware you daughter will need to send a secure message, we wouldn't discuss the account with you for GDPR.

In addition, our Customer Services are open- Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm, from 9.00am to 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday

Thanks, Lynsey.
LizBar
Rep:
(Original post by Lynsey SFE)
Hello,

We are unable to provide a definitive date, the workflow we provide is an expected date; the dates can fluctuate depending on the volume of applications and evidence received.

Just to make you aware you daughter will need to send a secure message, we wouldn't discuss the account with you for GDPR.

In addition, our Customer Services are open- Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm, from 9.00am to 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday

Thanks, Lynsey.
Okay, thank you for your help.
Lynsey SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Okay, thank you for your help.
Hello,

You're welcome.

Thanks, Lynsey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (24)
18.32%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
23.66%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (71)
54.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.82%

Watched Threads