replacing items

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If you bought something and you wanted to replace it but you don't have a receipt, theoretically if you put it back in the shop and get the same item without paying, would it count as shoplifting? Settling a debate with a friend and its actually complicated because technically, the shop hasn't lost anything: they'll have the same stock and profit, but the item you took would presumably have a different barcode.
Pque17
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you bought something and you wanted to replace it but you don't have a receipt, theoretically if you put it back in the shop and get the same item without paying, would it count as shoplifting? Settling a debate with a friend and its actually complicated because technically, the shop hasn't lost anything: they'll have the same stock and profit, but the item you took would presumably have a different barcode.
This reminds me of a movie 😅 but on a serious note I don't it would work because if the shop has one of those machines at the door that beeps when someone is trying to steal then it would go off when you pass it and you have no receipt to prove you bought the item or replaced it.
Last edited by Pque17; 1 month ago
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The Theft Act 1968 has the definitions you need:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ition-of-theft

Whether or not this is technically theft is one thing. But it's going to look very dodgy if you're caught by security or shop staff.

Note that you don't necessarily need a receipt as proof of purchase; there are other ways to do that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (30)
31.58%
They're exactly what I expected (26)
27.37%