The Student Room Group

My covid journey!

Got covid for the first time ever this week and thought i’d share my experience.

Mum was coughing fri or sat last week, I kept my distance and wore mask around the house but I woke up on sunday morning with an itchy throat. Thought it was nothing but by the end of Sunday I had a light cough. On Monday I felt poorly and had a fairly persistent cough and all the hallmarks of covid so I did a test. It came back negative. I kept wearing my mask though as mum was still pos. Mon night/tues I couldn’t sleep and felt a bit of the chills. I was literally in and out of bathroom all night, drinking water and peeing and back and forth. Tuesday I woke up with a headache and when I coughed my head hurt. I didn’t get a feverish feeling at any stage. I tested negative on Tues too. On Weds I tested positive (faint line). My symptoms had improved and coughing has lessened. I had no headache. On thurs my test came back with a super dark and thick line indicating my viral load was high. I had bit of a cough but no headaches. On Fri 1st July (yesterday), symptoms improved and i wasn’t coughing as much. I coughed a lot when talking non stop for a while, but being quiet was fine. I also noticed my test and smell had gone. It kinda annoyed me because a spicy dish I was eating tasted bland. Everything was bland. I tried a bit of hot encona chilli sauce and i could just about taste that, but faintly! (Good time to get hold of a ghost chilli sauce i think!)
Today, my coughing is about the same has yesterday (occasional coughing when moving about the house but mostly okay when stationary. Not done a test yet but probs positive still.

So to summarise, for me luckily covid has been less bad than than a common cold. When I get colds, i get a fever, prolonged headaches, lot of phlegm. I had a bit of all of these except a fever.

Interestingly and worryingly my mum’s work colleagues ended up in hospital with covid this week. So it’s still worrying that there are people out there who are still being hospitalised with covid.

If you’ve had covid and remember how the symptoms changed do share! :smile:

Keep safe everyone. 😊
(edited 1 year ago)
I remember feeling a bit coldy and video-calling my friend to chat but I was coughing and she told me to stay off school if I needed to. I took a test and forgot about it while doing some work when suddenly I checked it and could see a faint line. I was shocked that my time had come, and immediately stopped work to tell my friends and people at work. It was faint so I still worried that I was negative and staying off unnecessarily, but my PCR came back positive and my next test showed a strong dark line. I was positive for almost two weeks and had a rather relaxing time at home.
Original post by iL1L
I remember feeling a bit coldy and video-calling my friend to chat but I was coughing and she told me to stay off school if I needed to. I took a test and forgot about it while doing some work when suddenly I checked it and could see a faint line. I was shocked that my time had come, and immediately stopped work to tell my friends and people at work. It was faint so I still worried that I was negative and staying off unnecessarily, but my PCR came back positive and my next test showed a strong dark line. I was positive for almost two weeks and had a rather relaxing time at home.

Two weeks is a long time! Why so long? Did you catch it again after a week or so?
I tested positive on Tuesday with basically no symptoms (I'd only done a test because my friend at school has just tested positive), but it was a solid line so I think I'd had it for a couple of days already not knowing. I had a bit of a itchy throat and blocked nose but I'd had that for ages due to hayfever so I don't actually think that they were due to covid. Wednesday and Thursday, I didn't really have any symptoms again other then a slight itchy throat, but when I did exercise I got really tired and out of breath really quickly (it felt like I had the lung capacity of a grape). Friday once again no symptoms and I got my first negative covid test, same for Saturday.
Original post by boulderingislife
Two weeks is a long time! Why so long? Did you catch it again after a week or so?

I was positive for that long :frown:

First faint, then strong, then got fainter but I had to wait until there was only one line again

Quick Reply

Latest