Further Maths in 3 or 4 A-levels? Chemistry or Geography?

Watch this thread
sahal.h2006
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My sixth form's subject range is 12, so I'm very constricted in the options I have. I want to do Maths at Uni, so I've definitely chosen Maths, Further Maths and Economics (all Edexcel). Teachers have recommended I have 4 A-levels. However, if I only do 3 subjects with FM included, is that bad?

And if I do choose to do 4, the only other subjects I can pick is Chemistry or Geography (because I've hated Physics at GCSE and the other options are essay subjects or irrelevant e.g. History, Politics, English etc).
Based on the load of content, exam style and relevance, should I choose Chem or Geo? Chem is AQA and Geo is Edexcel in my sixth form.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
No Uni requires more than 3 A levels.
Unless it a situation where you start with 4 subjects and drop one later, resits ALL attempts to make you do 4.
You risk all you grades by taking on too much work. This could cost you a Uni place.
Remember that AAA will always look better than ABBB

If you want to do Maths at Uni - or any other subject where Maths is a major component - then Maths and FM is a good idea.
Take these two with one other subject - either Economics or Chemistry if you are attracted to Maths, but Geograohy is a useful subject as Unis often count it as both an essay-based subject and a 'science' subject which leaves more degreesopen to you. But - do not pick 4 subjects!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (31)
18.02%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (44)
25.58%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (87)
50.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
5.81%

Watched Threads