Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How can you work out how much fuel you will need for a certain trip?

ReputationRep:
    Your cars MPG and the length in miles of the trip??

ReputationRep:
    ok. how do you work out what your cars mpg is??? oh and it's around 180 miles

ReputationRep:
    You can only get an average MPG because the actual value will vary. What car (the website) can give you an average value if you put in the car, model etc. on the website it's instant by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Different driving style will also greatly affect the MPG so it's near on impossible to guess. Sitting at 80 will drink more fuel than sitting at 70, going through 50mph roadworks with a warmed up engine will send MPG through the roof. Try and find average figures for your car, then add a few more litres.

ReputationRep:
    to find out your exact mpg:

-fill up a tank of petrol
    -reset your mileage counter
    -drive till your fuel level is empty (so you know how many miles you have done to a tank)
    -convert your tank capacity from litres into gallons.
    -Divide your mileage by the number of gallons that your fuel tank will hold

For example if your tank capacity is 60 litres, and you could go 300 miles, then you got around 23MPG.

60 litres = 13.2 gallons

300 / 13.2 = 22.73
    miles / gallons = MPG

Sorry if it's not the quick answer you were looking for.

ReputationRep:
    I created a spreadsheet for this.

If you're interested in it, PM me an email address and I'll send it you.

You input you're mileage, the price of fuel, and from there you see which MPG column relates to you, and it tells you price per mile, whole trip, and per 100 mile.

ReputationRep:
    do you have a trip computer, if so thats the easiest method!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osamab)
    to find out your exact mpg:

-fill up a tank of petrol
    -reset your mileage counter
    -drive till your fuel level is empty (so you know how many miles you have done to a tank)
    -convert your tank capacity from litres into gallons.
    -Divide your mileage by the number of gallons that your fuel tank will hold

Sorry if it's not the quick answer you were looking for.
    Crap way of doing it, better is to;

Fill up til the nozzel stops.
    Reset milage counter
    Drive til whenever you would normally fill up (5/6th of a tank?)
    Fill it up again til the nozzel stops.
    Read from recipt how much fuel in litres you've put it.
    Divide litres by milage.
    Times answer by 4.55 to convert to gallons.

Also you can easily work out how much each mile has cost in fuel by doing this method. Don't - its scarey.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Crap way of doing it, better is to;

Fill up til the nozzel stops.
    Reset milage counter
    Drive til whenever you would normally fill up (5/6th of a tank?)
    Fill it up again til the nozzel stops.
    Read from recipt how much fuel in litres you've put it.
    Divide litres by milage.
    Times answer by 4.55 to convert to gallons.

Also you can easily work out how much each mile has cost in fuel by doing this method. Don't - its scarey.
    kinda a better idea than having to run out of petrol and start with the jerry cans lol also how would you account for the fuel in the pump and lines etc :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's a pretty stupid thing to do if said car is a diesel.
    If you run out of diesel, you can't just fill it up and bugger off. You've got to bleed the whole system.

(Original post by JC.)
    It's a pretty stupid thing to do if said car is a diesel.
    If you run out of diesel, you can't just fill it up and bugger off. You've got to bleed the whole system.
    you only need to prime it and off you go.
    quite a few modern cars will do this on their own if you leave the ignition on. or you can squeeze the bulb (kinky)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    ok. how do you work out what your cars mpg is??? oh and it's around 180 miles
    I found this website where you put in the distance, price and your MPG.

Based on 40MPG 180 miles and 92.9P

Your trip of 180 miles at 40 mpg cost £19.08 in fuel

http://car.choozer.co.uk/tripcalc.php?which=bottom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    you only need to prime it and off you go.
    quite a few modern cars will do this on their own if you leave the ignition on. or you can squeeze the bulb (kinky)
    Dont think so? Last vehicle I bled was a case of priming the lift pump, then losing an injector, turn it over to get the air out, start it up on 5 cylinders then tighten the injector back up again and hence the 6th cylinder would fire. Pain in the arse.

(Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Dont think so? Last vehicle I bled was a case of priming the lift pump, then losing an injector, turn it over to get the air out, start it up on 5 cylinders then tighten the injector back up again and hence the 6th cylinder would fire. Pain in the arse.
    really, what car was it?
    when i ran my dads 159 out (oops :p: ) i put some fuel in and it fired after about 50seconds of turning over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    I think with my 10 year old 306 all it says to do is pump the primer bulb and try starting it. I also seem to recall something about Defenders and turning the key in the ignition 15 times to bleed the system, but might be talking complete rubbish! I've had to bleed a marine diesel before though, that was a real pain in the arse, particularly as the access to them is so bad.

ReputationRep:
    My Petrol gauge has 1/8 markers which I know are approx 50 motorway miles.

Just worked out my mpg and it's 43-45!

I think once you've had a car, you get a feel for how many miles you can do and at what point on a journey you'll need to fill up. Assuming you don't get caught in heavy traffic of course

ReputationRep:
    The onboard computer tells you your range anyway.....

ReputationRep:
    Mine Doesn't!!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.