Why do Scottish don't like England?

Watch this thread
Lemonadestars
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to make it clear that I'm not UK citizen and I'm just askin because I'm curious...... I had a Scottish teacher, he left Scotland back when he was 18 years old but when we mentioned things about England he would make some fun out of it. I had some Scottish friends too and eventhough they're still young but they still have some thoughts on England. I know there's a long history about it's long time ago. Is there some politic in it? (I found out I've just posted it in wrong place so I'm sending this to here again.)
James9103
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Just watch Braveheart
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Variety of possible reasons.
Sometimes connected with centuries of history, modern politics, ancient celtic tribalism or more practical considerations like accent/diet.

Some Scottish individuals don't much like England.
Nor the majority of English people and don't want them to buy/rent/study/work in Scotland.
Just as some English individuals don't much like Scotland or the majority of Scottish people and don't want them to buy/rent/study/work in England.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Most countries like to joke about their neighbours.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lemonadestars)
I want to make it clear that I'm not UK citizen and I'm just askin because I'm curious...... I had a Scottish teacher, he left Scotland back when he was 18 years old but when we mentioned things about England he would make some fun out of it. I had some Scottish friends too and eventhough they're still young but they still have some thoughts on England. I know there's a long history about it's long time ago. Is there some politic in it? (I found out I've just posted it in wrong place so I'm sending this to here again.)
Why did Scotland join the UK.....

For England, there was concern that if it didn't unite with Scotland, the country might side against England with France in the War of the Spanish Succession. So in 1707, England agreed to give Scotland money to pay off its debts, and both countries' parliaments passed the Acts of Union to become one nation.

The Acts of Union, passed by the English and Scottish Parliaments in 1707, led to the creation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain on 1 May of that year. The UK Parliament met for the first time in October 1707.

Following the Glorious Revolution of 1688, a Scottish Convention met in Edinburgh in April 1689 to agree a new constitutional settlement; during which the Scottish Bishops backed a proposed union in an attempt to preserve Episcopalian control of the kirk.

There's probably as many English people living in Scotland as there's Scots living in England.

A lot of the history between the two countries goes away back to when they both used to have battle's with one another.

Look at the original Scotland and England border when it use to be as far down as Carlisle in the south west to nearly Newcastle on the east, reason why they built Hadrian wall around there and then they fought over more land and eventually took Berwick upon Tweed and Carlisle and then the border was redrawn to let English have those.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (42)
28.77%
Take a gap year (23)
15.75%
Resit my exams (40)
27.4%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.01%
I don't know yet (16)
10.96%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.11%

Watched Threads