Turn on thread page Beta

Has University been better or worse than you expected? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How has University been for you?
    Much worse than I expected
    17.05%
    Not as good as I expected
    31.82%
    As good as I expected
    25.00%
    Better than I expected
    13.64%
    Much better than I expected
    12.50%

ReputationRep:
    I want to see the results of this question on a poll to get a really good idea of how much people enjoy uni. So yeah, how have you found it?

ReputationRep:
    Lived up to my expectations, and then some
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    was a load of ****, so i left..

ReputationRep:
    Much better than I expected.

ReputationRep:
    Much worse.

Hugely disappointed with the course and found that the placement year is unpaid. (This was one of the major deciding factors that made me choose Kent over higher universities). I very much wish I had chosen to do Neuroscience at Sussex instead. Social life is pretty terrible for me also. My housemates refuse to speak English and the people I met over freshers just ignored me whenever I was around, so I gave up hanging out with them.

But I have a few friends on my course, and they're the one reason why I haven't dropped out yet. I think I'm going to be transferring next year to a different uni with my girlfriend. Until then, I'm just gunna suck it up for a year and try and do well.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright. A bit dull I would say, if I'm honest. My housemates are lovely but we're just not on the same wavelength at all, and my timetable is **** so I'm bored out of my mind most days (can have a stretch of 4 or 5 days with no lectures/seminars, etc). Consequently, I've been home a lot of weekends purely for something to do and people to talk to without the background noise of Rhianna, or some such crappy music everyone round here plays at full volume!

Should be better after this semester though, because my timbetable picks up dramatically

ReputationRep:
    I am loving UCL... its just amazing here. it really is.

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's been as good as I expected; but then, I had very VERY high hopes before I started. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Worse than expected but i'm in my second year now so i'm used to it

ReputationRep:
    Not as good as I expected but to be honest only been there just over a month so that's not a lot of time,it has been a bit boring if I'm honest but my course is in the first year apparently...it can only get better as the song goes

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide. :o:

On the one hand, being independant and having to make all my own decisions has made me so much stronger, even just 8 weeks in. It makes me happy to think about what kind of person I'll be when I'm older, wheras before uni I was a bit anxious about it. I love my uni, the accomodation and the situe of it, and the people around here. I would happily call Canterbury my home, and am definatly going to try and stay around here.

On the other... I hate my course with a passion, I wish I'd never picked it. I've got my family on my back about changing next year and I still don't feel that I really fit in at all with the people I know, especially my flatmates. They're all lovely but sometimes I wonder, if this was back home - Would I be doing things with them if they were at my sixth form, for instance? I haven't really met anyone yet who would be like my friends back at home. I go through bouts of being really happy that I have a bit of space to myself and then others (like at the moment) of being so lonely and just wanting to run back home and curl up in my own bed again.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly good but like all other aspects of life I have down days, like today when i'm swamped with work but have no motivation to do it, the prospect of tomorrow is daunting, my friends are all suddenly annoying... ugh! I know I shouldn't be listening to Joni Mitchell's "River" but I am and it's making me feel worse. I'll wonder what I was getting all down about in a week.

ReputationRep:
    Well I say it is worst than I expected I was so dissapointed when I got in. I found doing A levels were a lot more funner.

ReputationRep:
    Social life has been better than I expected.

Course is just disappointing though. It's not intellectually stimulating at all and I'm pretty much convinced I should switch to Engineering or Physics. It's not the university's fault really. Describing rocks? No thanks. Touching only the surface of basic physical concepts with almost no mathematics involved for two years? No thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Love the course, getting sick of a few of my flatmates though, there's a huge divide and its not very nice.

ReputationRep:
    A mix. On the whole, I'd say it's pretty much on par with what I'd expected - which is damn good...but it's not all been good. My accommodation is as good, if not better than I expected (apart from my ensuite, which is crap - given the money I paid). I love the social side, particularly the people I live with - who are amazing.

The city and surrounding area are brilliant - so much to do...but at the same time, I feel like I haven't really 'sampled' it all yet. Course-wise, it's been very up and down - I thought I'd LOVE my content modules...and I find one really interesting, but the other is so boring I wouldn't even put Hitler through it - the lecturer is crap, the reading is crap, the content is crap, the organisation is crap. In fact, if anyone reading this has the intention to study French at Southampton next year, PM me, and I will warn you off choosing this module. Every single person on this module feels the same, too. That really sucks, anyway. But apart from that, I'm really enjoying my course - especially my ab initio language - Spanish. Although the whole thing does feel a bit like school, mainly because I don't really have traditional lectures and seminars, rather I have 'classes', just like A level...

Yeah, so overall I'm having a really good time - but there's lots more I want to get out of it...it's a good job I have four years!

ReputationRep:
    I hated it where I went to uni. I only realised when I got there that I'd accepted the Uni that I thought I should go to, rather than the one I wanted to go to. So I dropped out. Second time lucky, hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    Worse, much worse. Think of everything that embodies a students social life: I have none of it. My university has failed me time and time again. Because I'm getting the lowest grade of teaching possible, and because uni lifes makes me want to kill myself, i'm worried that i'll fail the year.

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately, university life is what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Ultimately, university life is what you make of it.
    Not true.

How can someone help receiving bad tuition? How can someone help not making any friends despite efforts being made?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.