is a foundation degree a relative substitute for A level Maths and Physics?

Watch this thread
blindedstudent
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have applied to take a foundation course and then a motorsports engineering degree at Coventry University and have received an offer. Unfortunately I do not have a maths or physics A level hence my application for a foundation degree to hopefully learn the relevant skills I will need to go on to study the Motorsports degree.

What I am personally worried about is my ability to learn the mathematic skill to go on and study that degree. I have not studied maths or physics at A level but I had achieved a good grade in both at GCSE and I do feel confident on the Physics side of things.

Is a foundation degree an okay substitute for the learning I would have had at A level relevant to this degree, or am I making a bad decision both education wise and financially by accepting this offer?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
A foundation year is not a foundation degree - the two have specific and different meanings in the UK.

A foundation year is standard for people who don't have the required subjects (often because they had a late change of heart) but show promise in those areas. It will cover the relevant areas of maths and physics you need to succeed on the degree normally.

A foundation degree is the first two years of a bachelors degree and has the same standards for entry as a full bachelors, normally.

If you are worried about your maths ability or do not like/are not good at maths though, you should strongly rethink doing an engineering degree, as it will be mostly applied maths.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
blindedstudent
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
A foundation year is not a foundation degree - the two have specific and different meanings in the UK.

A foundation year is standard for people who don't have the required subjects (often because they had a late change of heart) but show promise in those areas. It will cover the relevant areas of maths and physics you need to succeed on the degree normally.

A foundation degree is the first two years of a bachelors degree and has the same standards for entry as a full bachelors, normally.

If you are worried about your maths ability or do not like/are not good at maths though, you should strongly rethink doing an engineering degree, as it will be mostly applied maths.
Personally I have not struggled to a harsh degree with applied mathematics, I have just been out of school for 2 years now and am worried for what I have retained. Some of my worry stems from seeing a friend of mine’s work whilst he is at uni doing a degree related to him becoming an astronautical engineer.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by blindedstudent)
Personally I have not struggled to a harsh degree with applied mathematics, I have just been out of school for 2 years now and am worried for what I have retained. Some of my worry stems from seeing a friend of mine’s work whilst he is at uni doing a degree related to him becoming an astronautical engineer.
Well you'll be doing the same maths in all engineering degrees so...if that concerns you, again, rethink engineering.
mah1000000
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by blindedstudent)
Since you didn't take Maths or Physics A-Level and have been out of school for 2 years I'm assuming the most recent Maths you learnt was GCSE maths 4 years ago. In that case, I believe it is entirely reasonable for you to be intimidated by the look of University level Engineering maths.

Foundation years are in general specifically designed to bridge the gap for those who have not taken the correct pre-requisite A-Levels and/or have taken an extended break from education. In terms of Maths, Engineering foundation years will generally cover a stripped-down version of A-Level Maths (only covering what is actually relevant to the degree you are progressing onto + some extra topics that are not on the A-Level).

Foundation years will be used to teaching people in similar circumstances to you and, should you put the work in, can provide you with the base skills you will need to be successful on your chosen degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (120)
40.54%
They're exactly what I expected (72)
24.32%