The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Study at imperial without further maths

I'm in year 12 and I'd like to apply to imperial for computer science but I don't have further maths as a subject. I'm predicted (A*) math, (A*) chem and (A) bio. The reason being because I was told the class was full, so I was not able to join. Is this a valid excuse to apply to imperial and my teacher can say it in the reference too? Or, should I forget applying here?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
bump
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by GTT21
bump

I didn't take further maths and had a much weirder spread of A levels than you, Maths, Computer Science, Mandarin and Philosophy. I still got an offer for computer science though, though we'll see if I get in. I don't think there's a need to say the excuse, though you can if you want.
Reply 3
Original post by HopefullyIGetIn
I didn't take further maths and had a much weirder spread of A levels than you, Maths, Computer Science, Mandarin and Philosophy. I still got an offer for computer science though, though we'll see if I get in. I don't think there's a need to say the excuse, though you can if you want.

Well done for the offer! How did you get into imperial without further maths, considering most applicants have it? Do you think it may have been your personal statement or interview or anything else?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by GTT21
I'm in year 12 and I'd like to apply to imperial for computer science but I don't have further maths as a subject. I'm predicted (A*) math, (A*) chem and (A) bio. The reason being because I was told the class was full, so I was not able to join. Is this a valid excuse to apply to imperial and my teacher can say it in the reference too? Or, should I forget applying here?

Do you mean BEng Computing or Beng Mathematics and Computer Science?

FM is only a requirement for the latter. It's recommended for Computing, but they also accept sciences as 'useful subjects'.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Do you mean BEng Computing or Beng Mathematics and Computer Science?

FM is only a requirement for the latter. It's recommended for Computing, but they also accept sciences as 'useful subjects'.

For BEng computing, some people say that for imperial with this course, you would 'need' further maths as most applicants have it. I'm trying to see if I can apply without it and have good grades and personal statement
Original post by GTT21
For BEng computing, some people say that for imperial with this course, you would 'need' further maths as most applicants have it. I'm trying to see if I can apply without it and have good grades and personal statement

Yeah, it's true that most people should need further maths. The way they check for the relevant skills even if you don't take further maths is through the STEP exam, which is the hardest maths exam there is. If you pass STEP, you're basically clever enough anyway, as even further maths students find it difficult. Out of the people who did the STEP exam in my school this year, I was the only person not doing further maths, and the rest were going to Cambridge and Oxford, so it's a pretty difficult exam. If your grades are good enough and you show a good passion for programming and comp sci in general, they should give you an offer, but bear in mind it will 100% be a STEP offer, meaning you have to pass the STEP exam.
Yeah, it's true that most people should need further maths. The way they check for the relevant skills even if you don't take further maths is through the STEP exam, which is the hardest maths exam there is. If you pass STEP, you're basically clever enough anyway, as even further maths students find it difficult. Out of the people who did the STEP exam in my school this year, I was the only person not doing further maths, and the rest were going to Cambridge and Oxford, so it's a pretty difficult exam. If your grades are good enough and you show a good passion for programming and comp sci in general, they should give you an offer, but bear in mind it will 100% be a STEP offer, meaning you have to pass the STEP exam.

If you haven't already, start preparing for STEP. There are quite a lot of online resources, and Cambridge has their own website with resources on it, so check that out.
Reply 8

Thanks this is really helpful, I think I might reconsider applying

If you haven't already, start preparing for STEP. There are quite a lot of online resources, and Cambridge has their own website with resources on it, so check that out.

I'll have a look around there now, especially during the summer
Original post by GTT21
Thanks this is really helpful, I think I might reconsider applying

I'll have a look around there now, especially during the summer

If you do apply, don't worry too much about STEP, it was quite discouraging looking online and stuff about how hard it is, but I wasn't that good at maths in Y12 (literally got a B in the mocks (though I did mess up)) and even though I started late with preparation in Y13, STEP wasn't too bad. If you go through all the preparation stuff on the Cambridge website and do some past papers, it should be completely manageable. Good luck for your uni stuff whatever the case
Reply 10
If you do apply, don't worry too much about STEP, it was quite discouraging looking online and stuff about how hard it is, but I wasn't that good at maths in Y12 (literally got a B in the mocks (though I did mess up)) and even though I started late with preparation in Y13, STEP wasn't too bad. If you go through all the preparation stuff on the Cambridge website and do some past papers, it should be completely manageable. Good luck for your uni stuff whatever the case

Thank you, I really hope STEP is not as scary as everyone says it is!
(edited 1 year ago)

Apologies for taking over this post, but did you manage to get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending