Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do people get really high results in harder modules? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to the whole "revise for maths exams" thing, and I've decided that I really should revise for C3.

Only done one Solomon paper, and I got 85% and I must admit I was actually disappointed. I'm really, REALLY sorry if I come off as sarky and completely arrogant (because honestly I'm not that sort of guy, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion), but what should I realistically be aiming for in Solomon papers for a high grade in C3? Need it to boost up my overall average to +80%.

Has anyone here gotten 100 in C3/C4/Any other modules? (not including modules that most people consider to be pretty simple, eg C1) If so how much revision did you do before the exams, and what were you aiming for each time round?

How do people get like 100% in C2/C3/C4/FP1?

I'm not totally qualified to speak (100 in C2 and 99 in FP1), but anyway: the difference between ~95% and 100% is just meticulosity. For a transition from the eighties to near perfect marks, it'll be a combination of meticulosity and ensuring you understand the more difficult topics. And this isn't just "know how to apply a method", general understanding is often needed.

I'm a genius. Only perceivable reason.

ReputationRep:
    I got 100% in C2 and FP1 (haven't done C3/C4 yet, but I'm already expecting 90%+ in C3, tbh)

I don't want to sound arrogant or anything, but the first thing you need to get a high mark is natural ability. I know loads of people who will never realistically get above a C, even if they work as hard as they can.

Other than that, I don't know what to say really, beside practice. Do several past papers, so you know all the styles of questions they might throw at you, and make sure you understand all the solutions, even if you initially had to get help.
    Lastly, it's just about how well you perform in the exam, and what types of questions happen to come up that year. But there's not a great deal you can do about that, other than preparing yourself.

(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    I'm new to the whole "revise for maths exams" thing, and I've decided that I really should revise for C3.

Only done one Solomon paper, and I got 85% and I must admit I was actually disappointed. I'm really, REALLY sorry if I come off as sarky and completely arrogant (because honestly I'm not that sort of guy, I'm just trying to get an honest opinion), but what should I realistically be aiming for in Solomon papers for a high grade in C3? Need it to boost up my overall average to +80%.

Has anyone here gotten 100 in C3/C4/Any other modules? (not including modules that most people consider to be pretty simple, eg C1) If so how much revision did you do before the exams, and what were you aiming for each time round?

I took C3 and C4 early - Got 99 and 100 in the respctive ones
    Basically, you answer the question as best as it can - directly, concise/ what ever word you like.

Also, FP1 = 100%
    M3 = 98%
    M2 = 96%

Actually answer the question - not go off on a tangent

ReputationRep:
    luck,
    Just if you haven't made the little mistakes that we all make from time to time.
    There is little difference between 95% and 100%

but for +90% you need to know the content inside out, basically.

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion, practice really makes perfect, and i say it plays a greater role than natural ability for full ums at a-level maths, and also a tiny bit of luck, although i wouldnt call it luck, more not making stupid mistakes.

(Original post by Dadeyemi)
    luck,
    Just if you haven't made the little mistakes that we all make from time to time.

but for +90% you need to know the content inside out, basically.
    Yes yes, i agree
    I also add to this by saying that the OP should abstain from any social life (lol) for at least 6 months prior to the exams if you want to get 90+

and mind you, on the results slip - it's not shown as a precentage but rathr - UMS
    Example: Economics - Max mark for unit 1 = 40 and max ums = 90
    A = 24-27 = 78 or something UMS
    32/40 = 90 UMS but at only 80 %

So it depends on the subject - I know M1 has real nasty targets for 100 UMS
    it's usually like 95+ in the test - but you don't have to score a perfect paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Yes yes, i agree
    I also add to this by saying that the OP should abstain from any social life (lol) for at least 6 months prior to the exams if you want to get 90+
    dont particularly agree with that...

(Original post by Dadeyemi)
    luck,
    A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you, but now I would say that anybody with a deep and complete understanding of the material would probably get 100% on nearly every paper. The questions are short enough to work methodically through each one, checking that there are no errors after each stage of the working.

However, as practical advice for someone taking the paper, doing as much practice as necessary to be consistently getting 95%+ on past papers is probably the best course of action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)

I got 100 in C1 and C2, + 96 in C3, although i've yet to take C4. I personally haven't taken solomon papers. Ever. My revision consists of going through the work the in the morning of the day before, doing past papers ALL DAY, then memorising the theory for 2-3 hours the night before. In all honesty, i was aiming for about 85-90 in C3, if that (or expecting it i mean), as i had been awful at C3 throughout learning it. And tbh, solomon papers are easier I think from what I've seen, try and at least boost it to 90% and in the meantime, I would do more papers from your actual board. Who are you with?

Furthermore, I found what works for me is making 3 copies of every past paper and doing each one over and over until you're getting 99/100%. And when checking each time, or if you're unsure of a question, go through it on the markscheme so you can see why you're going wrong or what you're meant to be doing and see if you can learn from your mistakes the next time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes, i agree

and mind you, on the results slip - it's not shown as a precentage but rathr - UMS

I don't agree with this either. I do one days revision and practice only and I get almost 100% (in fact, DID get 100%) in every paper.

(Original post by cvat)
    dont particularly agree with that...
    (Original post by Clements-)
    I don't agree with this either. I do one days revision and practice only and I get almost 100% (in fact, DID get 100%) in every paper.
    Geez, can't you hint a little joke? Don't take such a light hearted comment seriously! :yep:

May I also bring the attention of these two files that I've uploaded
    Grade boundaries + the UMS
    UMS does not equal % but you can work out what you got from the raw mark.
    Raw marks do not show up on the results slip - UMS does.

Yeah, you can also find out from your teachers though. When i say I got 100%, I actually got 100%...raw marks.
    yes yes true. I totally agree with you. However on UCAS, if you applied for cambridge where unit mark sometimes counted -it's UMS they look at.

ReputationRep:
    yes yes true. I totally agree with you. However on UCAS, if you applied for cambrudge where unit mark sometimes counted -it's UMS they look at.
    Yeah, which I find foolish in some cases. For example, on that thing you attached, one of the papers, D1 I think, it was like 51 or something for an A. And furthermore, to get 90 UMS, it was something low like 59/75 which is rubbish!

Yeah, which I find foolish in some cases. For example, on that thing you attached, one of the papers, D1 I think, it was like 51 or something for an A. And furthermore, to get 90 UMS, it was something low like 59/75 which is rubbish!
    Very true!!
    It's not a true indicator of skill.
    However, UMS combines and averages all the exam boards.
    So...if you took an Edexcel paper, got 98% raw mark, it may come out as 89 on MEI board. It's basicially to make things easier - for a non uniform exam

I also don't like the fact that the exam boards sometimes make the exams easier and thus raise the grade boundary
    Someone needs to propose equal exam and equal grade boundaries so that UMS does not have to be consistantly used

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes, i agree

What? Are you serious about the social life thing? I started revising just a few weeks before my exams and got 100 in C1 C2 C4 M1 and 98 in C3, and in comparison with alot of people I'm totally pants.

Edexcel M1 you have to get 100% to get 100UMS - that's a perfect paper, and not massively difficult to do if you're darn careful. More than anything get used to criticising your own stuff, I reckon. For the highest marks you just need a fine toothed comb, not even all that much ability. And even if you have very little ability, doing lots and lots of practice can make up for this (to an extent, of course). I wouldn't say you need hardcore revising for 6 months. But whatever floats your boat.

EDIT - haha I thought you were being serious about the six months thing. Good lord. The internet is so confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Very true!!
    It's not a true indicator of skill.
    However, UMS combines and averages all the exam boards.
    So...if you took an Edexcel paper, got 98% raw mark, it may come out as 89 on MEI board. It's basicially to make things easier - for a non uniform exam

I also don't like the fact that the exam boards sometimes make the exams easier and thus raise the grade boundary
    Someone needs to propose equal exam and equal grade boundaries so that UMS does not have to be consistantly used
    What I think is unfair is that OCR don't give a crap if you're extremely ill in the exam! And I'm convinced one of my papers was marked wrong, but the exam office had disappeared and it was therefore too much effort to get it remarked. I got AAD lol. A's in the 2 difficult modules and a D in the easiest one. I'm sure it's not right but oh well. I know I didn't do as well as the others, but when i looked back on the mark scheme I know i deserve at least a B/C

What I think is unfair is that OCR don't give a crap if you're extremely ill in the exam! And I'm convinced one of my papers was marked wrong, but the exam office had disappeared and it was therefore too much effort to get it remarked. I got AAD lol. A's in the 2 difficult modules and a D in the easiest one. I'm sure it's not right but oh well. I know I didn't do as well as the others, but when i looked back on the mark scheme I know i deserve at least a B/C
    Well if you're exteremly ill for the exam, then you could get an exemptment from the exam and get a grade based on you're GCSE point score predicited grade.

Also, you could have asked for your paper back to see why they marked it a D. Like...get the photocopy version of your paper.
    I got that for one Economics paper

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.