The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Stricof
Well if you're exteremly ill for the exam, then you could get an exemptment from the exam and get a grade based on you're GCSE point score predicited grade.

Also, you could have asked for your paper back to see why they marked it a D. Like...get the photocopy version of your paper.
I got that for one Economics paper

Mm, although admittedly I remembered every point I wrote.

Also, i had doctors notes from my neurologist and GP, plus statements from me and my parents. Edexcel I think are probably nicer about such things, but supposedly OCR don't have such policies.
Reply 21
If you're good enough to get 90%+, you're good enough to get 100. It all comes down to luck. My lucky 100 was in C4, although it could've been in anything, it just depends on silly unnoticed mistakes and the questions you get on the day.
Clements-
Mm, although admittedly I remembered every point I wrote.

Also, i had doctors notes from my neurologist and GP, plus statements from me and my parents. Edexcel I think are probably nicer about such things, but supposedly OCR don't have such policies.

LOL - I had OCR for History GCSE

Didn't do too well on the c/w (E) - was sick often
but then came out with a B grade after the exam - how does that work lol.

Thanks goodness I have no OCR's anymore, all mine are Edexcel ^^

Applied for Uni? which ones?
Stricof
LOL - I had OCR for History GCSE

Didn't do too well on the c/w (E) - was sick often
but then came out with a B grade after the exam - how does that work lol.

Thanks goodness I have no OCR's anymore, all mine are Edexcel ^^

Applied for Uni? which ones?

Aha, nice. I remember when I did Geography for GCSE. Got A* in the coursework and decision making exercise but came out with a B overall haha. Must have done so badly in the exam, although.....i did answer most of the questions with (well drawn!) pictures...

Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Exeter and Manchester, where i've got an offer for AAB atm.

You? I'm thinking of writing to them about ongoing illness as all my tutor wrote was 'ongoing illness' which I think is a total understatement and evokes next to no sympathy whatsoever. The UCAS book said I should write to them anyhow, so I am considering it....
Clements-
Aha, nice. I remember when I did Geography for GCSE. Got A* in the coursework and decision making exercise but came out with a B overall haha. Must have done so badly in the exam, although.....i did answer most of the questions with (well drawn!) pictures...

Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Exeter and Manchester, where i've got an offer for AAB atm.

You? I'm thinking of writing to them about ongoing illness as all my tutor wrote was 'ongoing illness' which I think is a total understatement and evokes next to no sympathy whatsoever. The UCAS book said I should write to them anyhow, so I am considering it....

Lol...pictures..LOL I don't remember that in GCSE geography
Oxford
St. Andrews - MA Economics and Politics AAB
Warwick twice (i Picked two seperate subjects lol because I liked them both)

BA PPE - AAB

(M)MORSE - AAA(B) with Grade B maths

Edinburgh - ABB for MA EconMath

I guess I got all my offers (except oxford) because I sent off my application in early september - did Personal statement over the hols and my teachers ACTUALLY check thier mail to read it

:O what courses you got?

Also, check my sig and do my poll
Stricof
Lol...pictures..LOL I don't remember that in GCSE geography
Oxford
St. Andrews - MA Economics and Politics AAB
Warwick twice (i Picked two seperate subjects lol because I liked them both)

BA PPE - AAB

(M)MORSE - AAA(B) with Grade B maths

Edinburgh - ABB for MA EconMath

I guess I got all my offers (except oxford) because I sent off my application in early september - did Personal statement over the hols and my teachers ACTUALLY check thier mail to read it

:O what courses you got?

Also, check my sig and do my poll

Nice, I started my PS in June lol, but got depressed on results day and procrastinated til October 3rd hahah.

I'm applying to Economics at Cambridge and Warwick, Economics & Finance at Bristol and exeter, and Bsc Economics at Manchester.

I'm also applying for 4 or 5 gap year schemes in case i don't get into cambridge (or warwick maybe). That way I can withdraw, do my gap year and apply again. If I do that, I'll probably apply to Oxford next time round since they don't ask for an extra form detailing UMS and resits, which cambridge will probably penalise me for (though hopefully not as I am going through on CSAS so i do have a good reason for doing bad(ish) in some). And I'll probably apply to LSE next time round for Economics and Maths, maybe instead of Bristol. Since supposedly, they're not as strict on GCSEs as straight Economics...
What loser neg repped me for stating my marks?
Reply 27
I got 100 in C2, C4, FP2 and FP4 then 98 in FP1 and FP3 and 97 in C1 (:eek: ) and 99 in C3 (this equated to dropping 3 marks in the 6 modules[ FP2-4 C3+4 M1] i took this year)
i think the key is to be damm good at maths naturally pay attention a bit in lessons then do a fair few practice papers to iron out any silly mistakes or highlights areas where your recall isnt perfect.
for further maths i made notes on the different techniques just as a reference for correcting any mistakes i made on the oractice oaoers rather than having to leaf through my files
overall Be Real Good to start with then practice to perfection
Reply 28
As you go through the paper, check every answer you possibly can on a graphics calculator (assuming you have one) - integration, sums of series, graph sketches, partial fractions, solutions to trig equations etc.
My calculator saved me from making so many silly mistakes in modules (I'd probably have only got 100% in C1 if I didn't use it to check everything)

And obviously make sure you can immediately recall vital facts (like sin/cos/tan of 0/30/45/60/90 degrees (and what their equivalent angles in radians are))
Calira
As you go through the paper, check every answer you possibly can on a graphics calculator (assuming you have one) - integration, sums of series, graph sketches, partial fractions, solutions to trig equations etc.
My calculator saved me from making so many silly mistakes in modules (I'd probably have only got 100% in C1 if I didn't use it to check everything)

And obviously make sure you can immediately recall vital facts (like sin/cos/tan of 0/30/45/60/90 degrees (and what their equivalent angles in radians are))

I swear graphical calculators aren't allowed though. ><;
Reply 30
Clements-
My revision consists of going through the work the in the morning of the day before, doing past papers ALL DAY, then memorising the theory for 2-3 hours the night before. Furthermore, I found what works for me is making 3 copies of every past paper and doing each one over and over until you're getting 99/100%. And when checking each time, or if you're unsure of a question, go through it on the markscheme so you can see why you're going wrong or what you're meant to be doing and see if you can learn from your mistakes the next time.

:ditto:

95 in C2, so not 100, but safely an A.
laura_beth
:ditto:

95 in C2, so not 100, but safely an A.

Well done! :smile:
Reply 32
Clements-
Well done! :smile:

thanks, you too! :biggrin:

to OP basically go through as many past papers as you can find
and make sure you know what formulas you need to know, and what are in the formula booklet...
and learn the ones you need (and how to apply them...!)
Reply 33
wanderlust.xx
I swear graphical calculators aren't allowed though. ><;

They were on my exam board (OCR) except for C1; I always assumed it was the same for all boards.
Clements-
What loser neg repped me for stating my marks?

Just to note, I didn't neg you lol
Stricof
Just to note, I didn't neg you lol

S'ok :smile: I'm assuming it was someone with around 8 gems anyways cos it took about 20-25 points off
Clements-
S'ok :smile: I'm assuming it was someone with around 8 gems anyways cos it took about 20-25 points off

Oh alright...do you know how the rep system works
like how many reps per bar

Calira
They were on my exam board (OCR) except for C1; I always assumed it was the same for all boards.

yes Graphic calculators are allowed for c2 unless they allow you to properly differentiate, integrate....not even stupid ones like integration by parts etc..
On C2, you don't draw graphs from my experience
C3, 4, FP1-6, AEA...you wouldn't even dare bring a graphic calculator in lol.
Reply 37
Stricof

yes Graphic calculators are allowed for c2 unless they allow you to properly differentiate, integrate....not even stupid ones like integration by parts etc..
On C2, you don't draw graphs from my experience
C3, 4, FP1-6, AEA...you wouldn't even dare bring a graphic calculator in lol.

Mine only did numerical integration; so I had to manually work out some limits if I wanted to check an indefinite integral.
Which exam board are you on, out of interest?
Calira
Mine only did numerical integration; so I had to manually work out some limits if I wanted to check an indefinite integral.

Oh yes good. but you can get some graphic calculators to do that for you. Integrate as much as you want

I know someone at uni doing maths who has this calulator that can
Integrate/differentiate
solve quadratics
draw nasty curve sketches
find all the limits etc
Draw any s1 graph
Do Mechanics formula answers
etc etc....

I want one lol

Oh and I'm doing Edexcel board

You are OCR?
Calira

Oh yes good. but you can get some graphic calculators to do that for you. Integrate as much as you want

I know someone at uni doing maths who has this calulator that can
Integrate/differentiate
solve quadratics
draw nasty curve sketches
find all the limits etc
Draw any s1 graph
Do Mechanics formula answers
etc etc....

I want one lol

Oh and I'm doing Edexcel board

You are OCR?

Latest