Are all Med School terms the same length?

Watch this thread
diggety
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
1st year at KMMS

Started last year on 13th September.
Finish this year on 20th July. (Rest of campus left over a month ago)

I had 2 weeks off at Christmas and Easter.

I'm on campus for 42 weeks a year yet get the same maintenance loan as someone doing, lets say History, who does 36 weeks a year.

Are other Med students on similar term dates?

Anyone know if there is any other funding to apply for that makes up the difference in term dates?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by diggety)
1st year at KMMS

I'm on campus for 42 weeks a year yet get the same maintenance loan as someone doing, lets say History, who does 36 weeks a year.

Anyone know if there is any other funding to apply for that makes up the difference in term dates?
Not at all, in fact I would think all med schools have different term dates.

There are universities with reading weeks (and many without), universities that start a week later / earlier etc. etc.

Also think places like Nottingham and Southampton that throw in a BMedSci for "free" (in terms of time and tuition) so for their second years their holidays are drastically shorter.

And places like Buckingham which is a 4.5 year course instead of a 5 year course, and other unis have mandatory intercalation etc.

It's just a huge variety.

P.S. A history degree is worth (and subsidised) much, much, much less than a medical degree. Each student of the latter (i.e. your degree) is currently subsidised > £200,000 by the taxpayer.... and your holidays will only get shorter by the year as you progress in your course.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
diggety
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Not at all, in fact I would think all med schools have different term dates.

There are universities with reading weeks (and many without), universities that start a week later / earlier etc. etc.

Also think places like Nottingham and Southampton that throw in a BMedSci for "free" (in terms of time and tuition) so for their second years their holidays are drastically shorter.

And places like Buckingham which is a 4.5 year course instead of a 5 year course, and other unis have mandatory intercalation etc.

It's just a huge variety.
Thanks ecolier.

I know we're subsidized. Just think it would be fairer if the SLC acknowledged that some courses are much longer than others. We still have to live on a week by week basis.
Last edited by diggety; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks ecolier.

Just think it would be fairer if the SLC acknowledged that some courses are much longer than others.
Pre-clinical medicine is pretty chill tbh... it'll get much worse for your clinical phase.

Even though you don't need to pay your tuition fee of £9250 in final year, and will also get a £1000 grant it's nowhere near enough for a virtually full years' worth of studying, travelling and accommodation.

Many final year med students face financial hardship atm and I think @TheGraduateMedic is campaigning for extra funding.
diggety
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Pre-clinical medicine is pretty chill tbh... it'll get much worse for your clinical phase.

Even though you don't need to pay your tuition fee of £9250 in final year, and will also get a £1000 grant it's nowhere near enough for a virtually full years' worth of studying, travelling and accommodation.

Many final year med students face financial hardship atm and I think @TheGraduateMedic is campaigning for extra funding.
Yeah I read that about the final year funding.

My parents will be supporting 3 of us through uni in my final year.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
1st year at KMMS

Note if your degree is longer than 30 weeks of term time, you can get a long course loan, which is bundled in with the maintenance loan. I believe this is assessed automatically but may be worth checking with SFE - however it's quite likely you are getting more than someone else on a shorter course, and may simply not realise it. Bear in mind you may also be getting different amounts due to different household incomes.

Read more here: https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/.../long-courses/
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
diggety
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Note if your degree is longer than 30 weeks of term time, you can get a long course loan, which is bundled in with the maintenance loan. I believe this is assessed automatically but may be worth checking with SFE - however it's quite likely you are getting more than someone else on a shorter course, and may simply not realise it. Bear in mind you may also be getting different amounts due to different household incomes.

Read more here: https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/.../long-courses/
I had no idea about this. Thank you.
I will check with SFE as I've been awarded the bare minimum for next year. I don't think they have taken course length into account.
Last edited by diggety; 1 month ago
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I had no idea about this. Thank you.
I will check with SFE as I've been awarded the bare minimum for next year. I don't think they have taken course length into account.
If your household income is high enough, you do not get the extra weeks allowances, I believe. My children get the minimum maintenance loan, and we are expected to top up any extra needed
diggety
Rep:
(Original post by GANFYD)
If your household income is high enough, you do not get the extra weeks allowances, I believe. My children get the minimum maintenance loan, and we are expected to top up any extra needed
Ah thanks Ganfyd.

If that what is is, then not worth applying.
We only just scrape into that top household income bracket and next year, they'll be supporting 3 of us through uni.

It's hard to get a summer job when I'm only back for 6 weeks, when most students can work for 12 weeks.

Student finance just assumes that if you're in a top bracket, then there will be plenty of spare cash.
GANFYD
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ah thanks Ganfyd.

If that what is is, then not worth applying.
We only just scrape into that top household income bracket and next year, they'll be supporting 3 of us through uni.

It's hard to get a summer job when I'm only back for 6 weeks, when most students can work for 12 weeks.

Student finance just assumes that if you're in a top bracket, then there will be plenty of spare cash.
I have had 3 I am supporting, at times, so even with a good income, it is tough! They do HCA work, GP admin, vaccinating and bar work/hospitality to top up income. Tutoring also worth considering, as can be quite flexible, I think. It’s just pretty rubbish, as they are also going to end up with large debts themselves….
diggety
Rep:
I have had 3 I am supporting, at times, so even with a good income, it is tough! They do HCA work, GP admin, vaccinating and bar work/hospitality to top up income. Tutoring also worth considering, as can be quite flexible, I think. It’s just pretty rubbish, as they are also going to end up with large debts themselves….
Thanks again Ganfyd.
I'm sure your kids appreciate the support you give them.
GANFYD
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks again Ganfyd.
I'm sure your kids appreciate the support you give them.
I think they do, but doesn't stop the rows about being taken for grated :lol:
Good luck with the rest of your course
meddad
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think they do, but doesn't stop the rows about being taken for grated :lol:
Taken for grated ? That's hard cheese
GANFYD
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meddad)
Taken for grated ? That's hard cheese
That is what they tell me! :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads