I am actually scared now

Watch this thread
Idk131
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So my laptop camera light has been on for a while, it is green and when I turn on camera it says looks like another app is already using the camera. I literally don't have any other app open which uses a camera and I am scared. What if someone has been spying on me/ some dodgy website using my camera? It could just be a fault but the idea of it is scaring me quite a lot
Last edited by Idk131; 1 month ago
Idk131
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Any advice? Is it likely to be a fault or is it actually an app? I am actually scared now... It is like the talking angela thing again wth
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Back up all your data. Get all your paid for software license keys written down or printed off. With this including the Windows key.
Prepare a USB stick for reinstalling windows. Reformat your hard drive. Reinstall windows and all your apps. Restore all your data. Debloat windows. Install any printers.

All of this sounds like a lot and you may need to google for a guide on how to do it all. But rebuilding your PC (software rebuild) is a basic skill that's the equivalent to being able to change a wheel on your car.
Idk131
Rep:
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Back up all your data. Get all your paid for software license keys written down or printed off. With this including the Windows key.
Prepare a USB stick for reinstalling windows. Reformat your hard drive. Reinstall windows and all your apps. Restore all your data. Debloat windows. Install any printers.

All of this sounds like a lot and you may need to google for a guide on how to do it all. But rebuilding your PC (software rebuild) is a basic skill that's the equivalent to being able to change a wheel on your car.
Is that the only way to fix it?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Idk131)
Any advice? Is it likely to be a fault or is it actually an app? I am actually scared now... It is like the talking angela thing again wth
Put a piece of paper over the camera for now
Idk131
Rep:
Yes I have covered my camera with paper but am still slightly paranoid- will try that out thank you so so much
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Is that the only way to fix it?
It's what an IT professional would do. Without hesitation.

Because there's too much of a risk that there's some hidden remote access software that's allowing someone to access your PC.

A rebuild (software rebuild) will 100% guarantee that no one can secretly remotely access your PC.
For good measure, put a different password on your PC when you reinstall windows.

For the future, watch out for the sort of scams shown on Jim Browning and Kitboga's youtube channels.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Before reformatting (???) at least do a malware scan with malwarebytes. You can also disable the camera in the BIOS or in device manager. There's "webcamlock" which will show you if anything is using it. FWIW I think it is unlikely it is malware in the first place, I think camfecting is far more known than it is prevalent.

If I was to concern troll I'd say that backing up and reformatted is not bulletproof, but I won't do that.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
Idk131
Rep:

Because there's too much of a risk that there's some hidden remote access software that's allowing someone to access your PC.

A rebuild (software rebuild) will 100% guarantee that no one can secretly remotely access your PC.
For good measure, put a different password on your PC when you reinstall windows.

For the future, watch out for the sort of scams shown on Jim Browning and Kitboga's youtube channels.
Why do they want to spy on people anyway even if it did happen? What do they get from it? Videos of me changing clothes or sleeping if my laptop lid is open (which it generally is as well)?
_gcx
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

I wouldn't make this guarantee - if I am to go to the worst case scenario for a second, their backups could be infected with this malware and carry over to the new build.

Realistically OP should determine if they even have malware in the first place or whether there is a more simple explanation for it. (by using some readily-found tool)
EVRoosevelt
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don't have a camera on my PC - but surely there's a way to force-stop the camera using Task Manager; does anyone know if this is possible to solve OP's problem?
Gogo01
Badges: 1
Report 1 month ago
Maybe check recent programs installed or run some AV on your machine ?

_gcx
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EVRoosevelt)
I don't have a camera on my PC - but surely there's a way to force-stop the camera using Task Manager; does anyone know if this is possible to solve OP's problem?
you would be able to disable the webcam in device manager or failing that in the bios.

[though note with extraordinarily robust malware this may very well not be sufficient]
brasamical
Badges: 5
Report 1 month ago
So my laptop camera light has been on for a while, it is green and when I turn on camera it says looks like another app is already using the camera. I literally don't have any other app open which uses a camera and I am scared. What if someone has been spying on me/ some dodgy website using my camera? It could just be a fault but the idea of it is scaring me quite a lot

A serious concern is that if your camera is somehow active, whoever activated it might also have activated a keylogger, so rule number 0, before even rule nu,ber 1, is to immediately stop using that machine for any financial transaction, and not type any password, because if a keylogger is active, it might just write down every key you type and send it somewhere
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Malware scan is a waste of time. No IT professional would do that in these circumstances. Go straight into the PC rebuild.
It's quite simple. You don't take chances with this sort of security issue. You don't muck about. You get straight on with rebuilding the PC.

I have done thousands of rebuilds. I have never come acros a single example where the rebuild hasn't completely fixed the security issue.
It's possible it could happen that the data backup and restore would reinstall some malware, but I've never seen it.
What the user needs to do is to closely monitor the PC after the rebuild, and if anything suspicious crops up you rebuild again and don't restore the data. Or do a partial restore of the data and monitor closeley again.

For reference, for a home PC, a rebuild would take about an hour of my time and about 2 or 3 hours of the PC's time.
For someone doing it for the first time, allow 2 to 3 hours of your time to do it. Make doubly sure you have ALL your data, including web favourites and website passwords backed up. As well as all the software license keys BEFORE you reformat it.

The idea with these scammers or hackers is that they run key loggers so they can access your bank accounts.
Idk131
Rep:
Wait guys, it says that microsoft teams is currently using it but I don't have teams open? I don't think it is that serious
Idk131
Rep:
It won't let me disable camera for teams on settings, along with google and other apps?
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Wait guys, it says that microsoft teams is currently using it but I don't have teams open? I don't think it is that serious
Don't take chances.

There's also a high chance that if your PC came with windows pre-installed, it's a crappy build anyway.
So even if it's uninfected it's worth rebuilding and debloating anyway.

And above all, don't take risks with this sort of stuff.
Doomotron
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Microsoft Teams does automatically open. If you go into task manager and force Teams to close, is it still on?
It won't let me disable camera for teams on settings, along with google and other apps?
In this case, go into the BIOS at startup, by pressing F12 or ESC or some other key (different on every machine) and force the camera to be off. This should stop the camera entirely.
_gcx
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Don't take chances.

There's also a high chance that if your PC came with windows pre-installed, it's a crappy build anyway.
So even if it's uninfected it's worth rebuilding and debloating anyway.

And above all, don't take risks with this sort of stuff.
I think this is excessive. The OP has identified the process which is using the webcam, if they change their settings on Teams/uninstall it, and the problem goes away, there is no need to go any further.

It amounts to pointless fearmongering of someone who is already seemingly not very confident. Hard for me to say much more because factory resetting isn't really going to do anything bad, it just feels like it'd cause the OP/onlookers to this thread undue panic. If you want to present the option of reformatting, I think you should do it in a less sensational way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
32.79%
They're what I expected (19)
31.15%
They're worse than what I expected (22)
36.07%

Watched Threads