Am I in the wrong for not wanting to stay in a hostel

Watch this thread
Helpmeout45
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My partner and two friends and I have been stating for ages we wanted to go abroad for 4 days when we all got time off. My friend (who is attracted to the same sex) and my other friend who is straight were going to share a room and I made sure my friend was comfortable with it. She said she was as long as it is single beds. I have been doing research and found hotels, air b and b cheaper then hostels which I thought was never in the plan. Anyways my friend has gone off on one and stated she wants to stay in a hostel. When asking her reasoning she states she wants to make friends and suggested we share bunk beds the four of us. I have said I'm not comfortable with this and have sent a message stating if I knew she was uncomfortable she should of said. She is an intervert and thinks because her friends are party animals she needs to live up to there expectation. I am trying to state that me and my partner will be sharing a room and if she not comfortable and wants an extra room then each party will have to pay for their room or we just get a hotel. I don't know what to do because I feel like a *****
gabbyyaustin
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I don't think you're in the wrong, if you feel uncomfortable as your friend she should understand that. Just explain to her how you feel (just like you've done here) if she reacts badly in any way!
(Original post by Helpmeout45)
My partner and two friends and I have been stating for ages we wanted to go abroad for 4 days when we all got time off. My friend (who is attracted to the same sex) and my other friend who is straight were going to share a room and I made sure my friend was comfortable with it. She said she was as long as it is single beds. I have been doing research and found hotels, air b and b cheaper then hostels which I thought was never in the plan. Anyways my friend has gone off on one and stated she wants to stay in a hostel. When asking her reasoning she states she wants to make friends and suggested we share bunk beds the four of us. I have said I'm not comfortable with this and have sent a message stating if I knew she was uncomfortable she should of said. She is an intervert and thinks because her friends are party animals she needs to live up to there expectation. I am trying to state that me and my partner will be sharing a room and if she not comfortable and wants an extra room then each party will have to pay for their room or we just get a hotel. I don't know what to do because I feel like a *****
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No, you are not in the wrong.
I wouldn't want to stay in a hostel under any circumstances.
YaliaV123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have stayed in a hostel before and it was a grim experience. The bunk bed thing is a bit odd.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hostels are a mixed bag, just like hotels. The difference is that you're not just depending on the hotel staff cleaning up well- you're depending on other people being amicable- this depends on the sort of person your hostel-of-choice attracts.

Remote hiker hostels? 10/10. Hikers are generally (while not necessarily clean) decent folk, understand boundaries, and won't dirty your stuff and/or touch your things- I've never had anything stolen, dormitory-style or otherwise. The kitchen (if there is one) spotless, the entryway kept well-cleared, and the communal spaces buoyant and well-used.

City hostels? Fat nope to the dormitory-style ones. These hostels aren't limited to hiking folk (who again, are much more limited in demographic and tend to be less... well, yeah- average population.) My experiences in these have been that they're usually less clean, and you get all sorts of chavs and other sorts in them. Private rooms are fine though. No one will steal from your own room- though the communal utilities may be less-than-average if you're not careful with your choice... hygiene wise.

Only two types of hostel I've been in (domestically) ^^^

On the note of your particular problem- I think you're in the right. You shouldn't be forced into a hostel if that's not what you want.
Last edited by Callicious; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads