I’m a female but have a male name

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As the title states. I honestly despise my name, when people ask me what’s my name I get embarrassed to say what it is. First of all it’s an Arabic boys name but my parents don’t pronounce it in it’s actual form, so when I say my name people say huh and are bewildered. Typically this follows by the phrase “I know x and they’re called [my name pronounced the correct way] but they’re a boy”. It makes me feel so bad I mean it’s not like I chose the name but I just hate it so much. I really want to change my name but It’s too much of a hassle and I have not talked to my parents about it. I feel embarrassed to even start the conversation. I’m 19 by the way and I feel like if I were to change it, not that I think I’d be allowed, but if I did I should rather do it now than later. I will be starting uni in September and I just dread having to introduce myself because of my name. Its difficult to accept it, even though I had been over the years, but I can always hear and see the condescending atmosphere when I mention it especially if the person is Arab. Any advice?
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
A lot of people who don't like their first name use their middle name informally, but their actual first name for documents, bank accounts etc. Would that work for you?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymous)
as the title states. I honestly despise my name, when people ask me what’s my name i get embarrassed to say what it is. First of all it’s an arabic boys name but my parents don’t pronounce it in it’s actual form, so when i say my name people say huh and are bewildered. Typically this follows by the phrase “i know x and they’re called [my name pronounced the correct way] but they’re a boy”. It makes me feel so bad i mean it’s not like i chose the name but i just hate it so much. I really want to change my name but it’s too much of a hassle and i have not talked to my parents about it. I feel embarrassed to even start the conversation. I’m 19 by the way and i feel like if i were to change it, not that i think i’d be allowed, but if i did i should rather do it now than later. I will be starting uni in september and i just dread having to introduce myself because of my name. Its difficult to accept it, even though i had been over the years, but i can always hear and see the condescending atmosphere when i mention it especially if the person is arab. Any advice?
hi im an aeab aswll, if you dont mind me asking, whats ur name? I just wanna see how much of a male name it is u know...
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi im an aeab aswll, if you dont mind me asking, whats ur name? I just wanna see how much of a male name it is u know...
*ARAB
sufys
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
As the title states. I honestly despise my name, when people ask me what’s my name I get embarrassed to say what it is. First of all it’s an Arabic boys name but my parents don’t pronounce it in it’s actual form, so when I say my name people say huh and are bewildered. Typically this follows by the phrase “I know x and they’re called [my name pronounced the correct way] but they’re a boy”. It makes me feel so bad I mean it’s not like I chose the name but I just hate it so much. I really want to change my name but It’s too much of a hassle and I have not talked to my parents about it. I feel embarrassed to even start the conversation. I’m 19 by the way and I feel like if I were to change it, not that I think I’d be allowed, but if I did I should rather do it now than later. I will be starting uni in September and I just dread having to introduce myself because of my name. Its difficult to accept it, even though I had been over the years, but I can always hear and see the condescending atmosphere when I mention it especially if the person is Arab. Any advice?
You can change your name by deed poll. You will be allowed. You're 19, you need not talk to your parents about it.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You could use a nickname? Like shortened version of your name or something?
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Like sufys said, you can change your name by deed poll. This is available for people age 16 or over.
If you don't want to legally change your name, you can just introduce yourself to people at uni with a preferred name. You could either choose the female version of your name or choose a completely new name
Last edited by rosy_posy; 1 month ago
martin7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
People will know you by the name you introduce yourself as.

Your university is likely to ask you as part of the registration process what you are "known as" if that differs from the name on your documentation -- by default this would be your first name. It's pretty common for people not to be "known as" their first name (e.g. a Jonathan might go by "Jon" or "John", or perhaps by his middle name (or a contraction of that).) Boris Johnson's first name is Alexander, for instance, and former Prime Minister Gordon Brown's first name is James.

A lot of international students have an "English name" that they use, and that too might be given as a "known-as".

As others have noted, you can change your name via deed poll. If you're concerned about your parents' reaction to your abandoning your current name, you could choose to add a name to what you already have, and then use that added name for everyday purposes.
Tw1x
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you're gonna do it I'd do it before you go to university for a fresh start. My ex went by his middle day as do quite a few of my friends. Do what makes you happy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.9%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.42%

Watched Threads