The Student Room Group

Di you have to take two CBT tests if you want to ride both a moped and bike?

I’m looking to get my first cbt licence but was wondering if I’d have to take two if I wanna ride both or would it just be one licence?
Reply 1
A CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) is not a licence it is a test of bike handling ability on an off road course/circuit.

You need a provisional moped (be over 16yrs) /motorcycle under 125cc (be over17yrs) driving licence and have taken your CBT test to take
your learner bike on the road. You still need a CBT certificate to do direct access courses for bigger bikes aged 19yrs+ If you passed your car test before 1st Feb 2001 and gained a full moped driving licence entitlement as a result you do not need to take a CBT test before you ride a moped on a road.

You only need to take your CBT once to cover all moped/motor bikes, so your CBT for your Moped will cover your 125cc (but the CBT does have a shelf life of 2 years unless you take your moped / motorcycle practical on road test and pass either one) If your CBT expires before you have passed your bike test you will have to retake it.
That's really strange.
If someone has a licence for a moped then why do they need a CBT to ride a learner bike when the CBT covers all the bikes?
What happens when someone has a licence for a 125cc bike but then wants to learn on a larger bike do they have to take yet another CBT course.

Why the hell do we even have this stupid system when other european countries don't. Some might let you take extra training to ride a bigger bike for example or they give a basic bike licence once you pass a car test.
We are all being taken for mugs here.
Original post by TheStupidMoon
That's really strange.
If someone has a licence for a moped then why do they need a CBT to ride a learner bike when the CBT covers all the bikes?

They don't have to retake it.

What happens when someone has a licence for a 125cc bike but then wants to learn on a larger bike do they have to take yet another CBT course.

No, they just do the course once unless they let their CBT expire before gaining a full moped/bike/car license.

If you already drive a car, you can literally just do the CBT and never have to worry about it again because having a car license and completeing the CBT automatically grants you a full moped license, which negates the need for a CBT course for higher bike classes.

Why the hell do we even have this stupid system when other european countries don't. Some might let you take extra training to ride a bigger bike for example or they give a basic bike licence once you pass a car test.
We are all being taken for mugs here.

The CBT doesn't work how you think. But otherwise? I agree. It's kinda silly to be like 'gotta be this age to ride this sort of bike'. Makes zero sense...

Want to ride an A2? Gotta be 19
Want to ride an A class? Gotta be 21 with 2 year experience, oh btw, we'll want you to cough up for ANOTHER practical test. Or you've gotta be 24...

So you can get shot at for your country at 18
Drink yourself silly at 18
Smoke your life away at 18
But want a 600CC bike? Gotta be 21 or 24 for that mate.

Bikes are apparently so dangerous and such a drain of society that you can smoke and drink your life away earlier than you can ride anything bigger than a 125
Reply 4
Just to clarify - the Grandfather rights of a moped entitlement with passing a car driving test pre 1st Feb 2001 mean that you do not have to do a CBT before you ride a Moped on the road in 2022

However, if you held a full Moped licence and then apply for a provisional motorcycle driving licence in 2022, you would have to complete and pass a CBT certificate. The CBT is still valid for 2 years and is a requirement to passing your 125cc motorcycle. If you pass your 125 cc bike test to ride a larger bike after this you don't need to do another CBT test.
Original post by Muttly
However, if you held a full Moped licence and then apply for a provisional motorcycle driving licence in 2022, you would have to complete and pass a CBT certificate

Nope

If you've passed your moped test since 1/12/90, you do not need to retake the CBT to upgrade to motorcycles.

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt
"Who needs to take training"
Scroll to the bottom and read under "When you do not need to take CBT"
there you will find:

You do not have to take CBT if you:
*point #2*

want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1 December 1990

Ahhh, I see what you mean now. Think I must've assumed you meant something else because I wasn't talking about pre-01 drivers, but instead post 01 drivers who do have to do a CBT for a full moped licence because, well... Given the age demographic here most users probably weren't even alive in 2001
Reply 8
Original post by TheMcSame

No, they just do the course once unless they let their CBT expire before gaining a full moped/bike/car license.

If you already drive a car, you can literally just do the CBT and never have to worry about it again because having a car license and completeing the CBT automatically grants you a full moped license, which negates the need for a CBT course for higher bike classes.

The CBT doesn't work how you think. But otherwise? I agree. It's kinda silly to be like 'gotta be this age to ride this sort of bike'. Makes zero sense...

Want to ride an A class? Gotta be 21 with 2 year experience, oh btw, we'll want you to cough up for ANOTHER practical test. Or you've gotta be 24...

Bikes are apparently so dangerous and such a drain of society that you can smoke and drink your life away earlier than you can ride anything bigger than a 125

I absolutely agree with your views - It just happened that every young gun U21 would get the worlds biggest bike and blast themselves to oblivion and that went against the EU road safety figures (now we are out of it it seems no one wants to change this) If you end up with low IQ idiots they are going to die. Now we have legislated the problem away with such complex bike licence stuff that everyone now gets Mum and Dad to buy a Hyundai i10 or Nissan Kashqai. The EU and Rospa didn't like the motorcycle death rate so they introduced ridiculously complex legislation. Now, no one rides these days. All they needed to say is take an approved advanced riding course which will be discounted within the first year of riding (or go back to L plates) - If only we could say that for car drivers! Biking is much better for the environment. It's bad enough motorcyclists trying to battle the British weather and negotiating the deliberately unfilled pot holes and conveniently ignored worn out white lining.
Original post by Muttly
I absolutely agree with your views - It just happened that every young gun U21 would get the worlds biggest bike and blast themselves to oblivion and that went against the EU road safety figures (now we are out of it it seems no one wants to change this) If you end up with low IQ idiots they are going to die.

That's their problem.It wasn't the EU but it was the UK government made it a mess for all of us.
Original post by TheMcSame

looks like this OP has already donated his brain before even joining the Organ DOnor;s club that immature younfg people motorcycles
Hi I have a question it’s not really related but it’s been bothering me for a while now and I can’t figure it out.

Why do people say to ease off the throttle before upshofting, whenever I do it to motorcycle slows down drastically!!! And when I thought about trying to blip the throttle all it does it make the motorcycle jerk, right now no mater what I do I’m always at 5mp when finally change to second bare in Ming that I start the process of changing gear at 10mp but the throttle slows the bike down so much I don’t understand why they say ease off the throttle!!!
Original post by Askmeanythin
Hi I have a question it’s not really related but it’s been bothering me for a while now and I can’t figure it out.

Why do people say to ease off the throttle before upshofting, whenever I do it to motorcycle slows down drastically!!! And when I thought about trying to blip the throttle all it does it make the motorcycle jerk, right now no mater what I do I’m always at 5mp when finally change to second bare in Ming that I start the process of changing gear at 10mp but the throttle slows the bike down so much I don’t understand why they say ease off the throttle!!!

Do you mean people upshifting without a clutch then it's so they are trying to lower the revs to match with the new higher gear quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending