The Student Room Group

GF not going to get anything for my birthday

I am currently working at McDonalds and earning decent money, my GF's birthday falls a couple weeks after mine so was planning a gift, however as it turns out she said she hasn't got money to get me anything, she doesn't have a job and receives maybe just over £20 a month. I was of course not expecting anything expensive, just a few pounds, or homemade even. But she has spent all of it bar 40p on a video game.
I was planning to get her something expensive because of my job but to find out I wont be getting anything at all hurts and I'm not sure what to do, its already caused some discourse between us.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I am currently working at McDonalds and earning decent money, my GF's birthday falls a couple weeks after mine so was planning a gift, however as it turns out she said she hasn't got money to get me anything, she doesn't have a job and receives maybe just over £20 a month. I was of course not expecting anything expensive, just a few pounds, or homemade even. But she has spent all of it bar 40p on a video game.
I was planning to get her something expensive because of my job but to find out I wont be getting anything at all hurts and I'm not sure what to do, its already caused some discourse between us

FYI we've been together for just less than 4 months
Tbh, I'd feel disappointed but it's not an obligation on her to get you anything. Yes, it is your birthday, but similarly you are one year older, and thus one year closer to death.
It's disappointing but if she's got no cash, there should be no issue (I would hope.)
So what is she doing with her life?
Original post by gtty123
Tbh, I'd feel disappointed but it's not an obligation on her to get you anything. Yes, it is your birthday, but similarly you are one year older, and thus one year closer to death.

we had definitely talked about getting each other presents before, but she denies it now. so I had been expecting something, 'higher you climb, harder the fall' and all that
Original post by Callicious
It's disappointing but if she's got no cash, there should be no issue (I would hope.)

we had talked about presents before, and she spent her money on a thing for Gmod so im a bit annoyed that she couldnt have at least saved a bit of money
Original post by hungrysalamander
So what is she doing with her life?

were not old, shes still relying on parents money
we had definitely talked about getting each other presents before, but she denies it now. so I had been expecting something, 'higher you climb, harder the fall' and all that

She's probably embarrassed hence she's not discussing it in an appropriate manner.
neither would i if we hadn't already discussed it
Even if she can't buy you anything, she could at least offer to have a fun day out with you :redface:
Just don't buy her anything for hers and use the same excuse. You only work in Mcdonalds (no offence) so I doubt shes expecting anything expensive. Say you're also struggling, see if she accepts it or how she reacts to it
Original post by hello1999
Just don't buy her anything for hers and use the same excuse. You only work in Mcdonalds (no offence) so I doubt shes expecting anything expensive. Say you're also struggling, see if she accepts it or how she reacts to it

She's already making a point about how I should get her something because I earn more, and I have already said to her that I was planning to get something much more expensive
She's already making a point about how I should get her something because I earn more, and I have already said to her that I was planning to get something much more expensive

She seems a little controlling and bossy. She won't buy anything for you but has the audacity to tell you to get her something. Stand back and read that out loud. Does that sound fair? Who is she to make demands like that? And if you give into her now you will be giving into her for the rest of your life. You're just going to spoil her more and more and shes just going to turn out more and more spoilt. Is she really worth it??
What are you, like 14? Grow up. "Oh woe is me, my """girlfriend""" who only gets 20£ a month isn't giving me a gift even though she said she would despite that we've only been together for (under) 4 months wah wah wah". Come on. This is pathetic.
we had talked about presents before, and she spent her money on a thing for Gmod so im a bit annoyed that she couldnt have at least saved a bit of money

How old are you two?

She seems a little controlling and bossy. She won't buy anything for you but has the audacity to tell you to get her something. Stand back and read that out loud. Does that sound fair? Who is she to make demands like that? And if you give into her now you will be giving into her for the rest of your life. You're just going to spoil her more and more and shes just going to turn out more and more spoilt. Is she really worth it??

Amen to this advice ^^^ If she's being like that, she's being immature and a *****.

It wasn't a demand, but it was implied. I meant to say "get her something expensive"
Original post by sumossushibar77_
What are you, like 14? Grow up. "Oh woe is me, my """girlfriend""" who only gets 20£ a month isn't giving me a gift even though she said she would despite that we've only been together for (under) 4 months wah wah wah". Come on. This is pathetic.

actually you're pathetic. read through the entire thread first.
Original post by Callicious
How old are you two?

Amen to this advice ^^^ If she's being like that, she's being immature and a *****.

I'm 16, she's 15, so I can get a job she can't really
It wasn't a demand, but it was implied. I meant to say "get her something expensive"

I mean it seems like you REALLY want to buy her something expensive so what the problem here? Get her something and just accept the fact that she can't get anything for you this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending