Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hippo)
    "If I'd have known you didn't drink I wouldn't have hired you"
    "If I'd known you were such a bigoted ****-stain I never would've applied."

ReputationRep:
    I dont drink but then i have my age as an excuse for that. Im in year 9 but its still surprising how many drink in my year. I'd be in sooooo much trouble.

ReputationRep:
    what don't you have if you're t-total?

weed?
    tobacco?
    caffine?
    obviously alcohol
    meat?
    milk?
    eggs?
    honey?

are some of these things straight edge instead of T-total?

ReputationRep:
    One of my housemates doesn't drink. I don't care really. I wish he'd come over the SU when we go over for some pool or something, but no way do I expect him to drink. I don't think we even made jokes bout it when all of us met each other. Its up to the person if they want to do something or not. I don't drink that much myself. Most of the time I do, I don't get drunk, just a bit tipsy. Since being at uni, I think I've only been properly drunk 4 times. It also helps being a bit of a lightweight. Saves so much money lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    yet Dylan Moran is your display picture:p:
    everyone always says that when they find out i don't drink :p:

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason why you should feel pressured into drinking, but it does intrigue me as to why you don't drink. Is it due to a bad experience? Have you ever drunk? I can certainly see why people don't want to go out and get plastered, but does the idea of just having the odd pint at your local repulse you? It can be relaxing and calming, which is the main reason for having the odd drink. Much like how people smoke cigarettes for the effect of the nicotine.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is straight edge, so he doesn't drink amongst other things, I have no problem with it, but all my friends rant about it all the time and can't seem to fathom why he doesn't drink, which is pretty sad. But there you go.

ReputationRep:
    Well apply for your promotion and see if you get it before you jump to assumptions. If you get on well with your bosses, other than disagreeing on the issue of drinking, there's no reason not to have a word with them whilst they're sober to ask them to tone down the banter.

Or drink something that sounds more interesting than just coke, there is plenty of variety in non-alcoholic drinks that will confuse your part-intoxicated drinking mates so that they don't know what's going on. Don't get drawn into having to talk about being a teetotal, every time you bring it up you are just goading your bigoted companions into debating with you. Order your drink and leave it at that. The only people I know who get any stick for being teetotal are the ones who tell everyone all about the fact that they don't drink - the "holier than thou" attitude (to anything, be it teetotalism, vegetarianism, religious convictions, eco-warrior stance or whatever) gets on peoples' nerves and leads to abuse - and you might not know that you're doing it, some people don't realise that they keep on bringing it up.

ReputationRep:
    Some people like cricket, I don't.
    There's your problem. If you liked cricket, all would be well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    There is no reason why you should feel pressured into drinking, but it does intrigue me as to why you don't drink. Is it due to a bad experience? Have you ever drunk? I can certainly see why people don't want to go out and get plastered, but does the idea of just having the odd pint at your local repulse you? It can be relaxing and calming, which is the main reason for having the odd drink. Much like how people smoke cigarettes for the effect of the nicotine.
    Obviously I can't speak for the OP, but being constantly asked "why don't you drink?" is one of the most annoying things in the world.

Personally, I have no desire to get plastered, obviously, but then everyone says what you've just said and asks "why don't you just have one or two drinks?" Well, I don't need them. I'm a laid back, relaxed person without it anyway and if I was going to restrict my intake to the point where it isn't affecting me or my judgement it makes more sense to just not bother at all.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people feel threatened by someone not drinking. In most cases, people become confident when drinking and when faced with someone who can actually have an interesting conversation without being bladdered, its easier to poke fun at the person not drinking. Just let him get on with it, he's clearly got low self esteem issues that he needs to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with the OP on this one. I can understand why he'd get annoyed at people constantly questioning his reasons for not drinking - some people (including me) just aren't fussed on consuming alcohol; we don't have to have experienced some scarring ordeal or possess an inexplicable fear of alcohol or associated things.

People might say that it's a relaxant, akin to smoking, but that's precisely the point - some, actually many, people don't like smoking either. It's a matter of personal choice, and since refraining from drinking doesn't have any harmful effects on others, people should presumably have no problem with it, whereas the inverse actually can endanger non-participants.

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink much at all, probably 2 or 3 times a year. Most alcohol is freaking disgusting! How can anyone sane actualy like the taste of it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    what don't you have if you're t-total?

weed?
    tobacco?
    caffine?
    obviously alcohol
    meat?
    milk?
    eggs?
    honey?

are some of these things straight edge instead of T-total?
    Being tee-total only refers to alcohol as far as I know, but for the record, personally:

Weed - nope
    Tobacco - nope
    Caffiene - yes
    Alcohol - nope
    Meat - yes
    Milk - yes
    Eggs - yes
    Honey - yes

(Original post by Dionysus)
    The thought of it doesn't "repulse" me, it just doesn't appeal to me. I've never had a bad experience with it, I've never had a drink, I'm just not bothered with it. I'm certainly not against it, and I don't think I'm doing the right thing or anything. It's just a choice: do I prefer salt and vinegar or cheese and onion, Xbox or PlayStation, alcohol or non-alcoholic drinks. The difference is I don't get people telling me to have a salt and vinegar crisp all night. :teeth:

(Original post by artorscience?)
    Or drink something that sounds more interesting than just coke, there is plenty of variety in non-alcoholic drinks that will confuse your part-intoxicated drinking mates so that they don't know what's going on. Don't get drawn into having to talk about being a teetotal, every time you bring it up you are just goading your bigoted companions into debating with you. Order your drink and leave it at that. The only people I know who get any stick for being teetotal are the ones who tell everyone all about the fact that they don't drink - the "holier than thou" attitude (to anything, be it teetotalism, vegetarianism, religious convictions, eco-warrior stance or whatever) gets on peoples' nerves and leads to abuse - and you might not know that you're doing it, some people don't realise that they keep on bringing it up.
    That's a bit of an assumption though, to be fair. You're assuming that I keep bringing up the fact that I'm tee-total, which couldn't be further from the truth. I would much rather I was allowed to just have my drink without any discussion on it whatsoever, so having a "holier than thou" attitude and constantly bringing it up is the last thing I want to happen. I also don't see why I should have to have a "more interesting" drink than Coke. That's the drink I like, so I don't see the problem. Changing that is still pandering to their pressure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tee-total as well, for health reasons, as I'm on medication which could kill me if mixed w/ alcohol. There is one guy in one of the uni societies I'm in who gives me a hard time for it (but he is practically an alcoholic). The others have seen the issues I've had in the past, and dealt w/ me in panic attacks, depression, suicidal thoughts, etc. and encourgae me not to drink.
    I left a society in my second year at uni that wouldn't accept the fact I was shy, and only up for the sport, and a quiet drink or two, and tried to force alcohol down me.

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit of an assumption though, to be fair. You're assuming that I keep bringing up the fact that I'm tee-total, which couldn't be further from the truth. I would much rather I was allowed to just have my drink without any discussion on it whatsoever, so having a "holier than thou" attitude and constantly bringing it up is the last thing I want to happen. I also don't see why I should have to have a "more interesting" drink than Coke. That's the drink I like, so I don't see the problem. Changing that is still pandering to their pressure.
    You asked for suggestions, varying your drink to confuse drunken companions so that they didn't recognise what you were drinking was simply a suggestion. If you don't want to change you drink don't, I'm not telling you to, there's no need to be so defensive about it.

And I equally wasn't accusing you of having the "holier than thou" attitude, I was saying that people I know have that attitude and get the abuse they *deserve* when they bring the debates up. If it touches a nerve when I mention it, perhaps you are subconsciously feeling it, perhaps not.If you have a similar defensive attitude in RL it's not surprising that you are sucked into the same debates and discussions repeatedly. If you want to drink without discussion, drink without discussion, if you don't respond people will shut up, if you bring up another topic of conversation. You are as much in control of casual conversation as your drinking buddies.

ReputationRep:
    Being tee-total is looked down upon in society because people assume you have a problem with alcohol i.e that you're an alcoholic. Being an alcoholic shows a lack of will and self-control hence why not drinking is looked down upon.

ReputationRep:
    Being tee-total only refers to alcohol as far as I know, but for the record, personally:

Weed - nope
    Tobacco - nope
    Caffiene - yes
    Alcohol - nope
    Meat - yes
    Milk - yes
    Eggs - yes
    Honey - yes
    your straight edge I believe (no booze, **** or recreational drugs)

the other stuff is a step towards vegan, which is completely different (diet as opposed to lifestyle?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Being tee-total is looked down upon in society because people assume you have a problem with alcohol i.e that you're an alcoholic. Being an alcoholic shows a lack of will and self-control hence why not drinking is looked down upon.
    rather ironic really, you either have no self control, or cave in to peer pressure,

catch 22 anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    your straight edge I believe (no booze, **** or recreational drugs)

the other stuff is a step towards vegan, which is completely different (diet as opposed to lifestyle?)
    veganism isn't a diet.

That's linked into it, but it aims to not use animal clothing for instance, as well (and lots of other things).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.