Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    this viewpoint that people who don't drink are anti-social.
    People here used to think that about me, but they learn

but being constantly asked "why don't you drink?" is one of the most annoying things in the world.
    This still happens though, and I can't agree more!

Bang out? Weirdly in Liverpool "bang on" means great.
    But "bang out" is different to "bang on"... ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    There is no reason why you should feel pressured into drinking, but it does intrigue me as to why you don't drink. Is it due to a bad experience? Have you ever drunk? I can certainly see why people don't want to go out and get plastered, but does the idea of just having the odd pint at your local repulse you? It can be relaxing and calming, which is the main reason for having the odd drink. Much like how people smoke cigarettes for the effect of the nicotine.
    Maybe he can relax and calm himself without the use of alcohol, which is a drug. :dontknow:

(Original post by artorscience?)
    You asked for suggestions, varying your drink to confuse drunken companions so that they didn't recognise what you were drinking was simply a suggestion. If you don't want to change you drink don't, I'm not telling you to, there's no need to be so defensive about it.

And I equally wasn't accusing you of having the "holier than thou" attitude, I was saying that people I know have that attitude and get the abuse they *deserve* when they bring the debates up. If it touches a nerve when I mention it, perhaps you are subconsciously feeling it, perhaps not.If you have a similar defensive attitude in RL it's not surprising that you are sucked into the same debates and discussions repeatedly. If you want to drink without discussion, drink without discussion, if you don't respond people will shut up, if you bring up another topic of conversation. You are as much in control of casual conversation as your drinking buddies.
    I'm butting in, but it kinda did sound as if you were suggesting he had a holier than thou attitude and/or brought the topic up. Not saying you were, it just sounded like that.
    He shouldn't even have to vary his drink from one non-alcoholic drink to another to get people off his back. That really isn't fair. (again, I'm not saying you said he should have to, you were just trying to suggest a solution)
    It can be quite hard to not answer people's questions without seeming rude though. I agree bringing up other topics might help though. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    OP what job is this?
    I can tell you over PM if you want. It's a bit personal. Nothing dodgy though!

PM me if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Hostility to teetotallers is hardly inexplicable. They have a long history of generally pissing off the rest of society and parading (literally, in fact; plenty of groups actually did) their supposed moral superiority around the place. Luckily, the temperance movements have more or less died out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hippo)

PM me if you want.
    I thought because you said it was a dream job it was videogame oriented is all and I am various curious as to the type of jobs available in the industry. But I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Hostility to teetotallers is hardly inexplicable. They have a long history of generally pissing off the rest of society and parading (literally, in fact; plenty of groups actually did) their supposed moral superiority around the place. Luckily, the temperance movements have more or less died out.
    Bit of a generalisation though, is it not mate? Surely the hostility's all well and good if I actually was "parading moral superiority" rather than just drinking some Coke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    I thought because you said it was a dream job it was videogame oriented is all and I am various curious as to the type of jobs available in the industry. But I could be wrong.
    You could be right though.

ReputationRep:

PM me if you want.
    You're an apprentice to a professional diamond thief aren't you?!? LOL!

ReputationRep:
    I drink, but only occasionally, however i'd never make anyone who didn't drink feel uncomfortable or try and force them to do it!

I think your boss was being bang out of order to be honest. Why don't you complain? I suppose that may make things worse..

Maybe just be firm about it, rather than polite? And if he is ruder to you after that, then perhaps complain?

I don't know, it's a tricky one. It should probably stop after a while, however if it doesn't u could always say something like, a close friend/relative died from a drinking problem or whatever, although it's frankly terrible you'd have to make up a lie like that, i can't think of anything else

EDIT: to everyone who is saying, "oh have the occasional drink, it does no harm!" firstly, why should he have to change his belief just to suit others? and secondly, drinking IS harmful to your body, and is responsible for violence, vandalism and rape etc in a lot of cases. i smoke, why don't you all smoke ocassionally, because I do? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's awful. It's a personal choice and it should be respected.

I drink, and I expect people to respect that choice without being judgemental. As a result I would never judge someone's decision not to drink.

If it was me, I would talk to my boss and tell them that I really don't like it and think that it shows a total lack of respect for me and my decisions. They've had their fun, now it's time to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm teetotal too. I know how you feel mate. Fortunately, everyone at the company (as much as it sucks - see a recent thread made by me in Dev) I work for understand and one woman doesn't drink too. Nobody forces me, but instead offers me Coke/7-Up, etc. People at my work probably think it is a religion thing, although I've explained it is not. I don't drink out of choice, I'm not in a religion which has made that choice for me. I make decisions for myself.

Funny thing is, people drink loads, get hammered, then say I'm never going to drink again. :rolleyes:

And the person with the problem is the person, or people, who force you to drink:

Who's the one with the real problem: the person who's having a perfectly good night not drinking, or the person who can't accept that?
    To the person who quoted this reply and put in bold the person who does not drink and also that drinking is a social thing (should have quoted that reply in specific): What a ****. You will all realise that drinking is stupid when you are in a relationship and kiss another girl, or someone of the same sex, and have a severe guilty conscience (and I've seen this story on TSR loads of times). You said drinking, that could be any drink. Drinking won't be such a social thing when it causes arguments, stress, or some sort of accident like I've seen, too.

Don't worry dude, stick to your beliefs and you don't have to do anything you don't want to do!

To the person who said make up a story: OP should have no reason to lie. I get the same problem with people not being able to accept that I am teetotal (although one or two of my uncles seem to act as if I'm underage and not allowed to drink although I'm 22! This is out of care, though), but I don't have it as bad as you, mate.

And the fact that your boss(es) may hold prejudice to you and/or limit your chance at promotion just because you don't drink is just wrong. So much for equal oppurtunities. If you feel so strongly about it (and you should, as it seems to be the case), why not raise it with HR? They should ask themselves whether they want someone in a job who drinks but is ok at the job, or someone who doesn't drink but is good at the job. They will find themselves in that simple dilemma one day, and managers always go on about employee performance!

BTW, what is your job?

ReputationRep:
    How droll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    How droll.
    What a fantastic contribution to the thread. If I had my way I'd make sure you were rewarded handsomely with some sort of sizeable cash prize for that sterling example of flowing prose. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Also, try this:

-Feign a hangover, and come in late (like everyone at my work does - hangover, come in late, leave early, whereas if I did I'd get in trouble as I am "junior"). Do this at an especially important time, like when you need to meet clients, and then your bosses will realise how stupid drinking and going to work mixed together is (or drinking itself).

Although I say try this, it may hammer home the point, but will probably get you in some trouble, so better not! lol.

If someone gets smashed, and it has some "cost" to you, like a late or poor quality piece of work, then that person will realise just how useful getting drunk is.

ReputationRep:
    What a fantastic contribution to the thread. If I had my way I'd make sure you were rewarded handsomely with some sort of sizeable cash prize for that sterling example of flowing prose. :rolleyes:
    If you don't want "not drinking" to be a "big thing", then don't make it a discussion topic.

Boo hoo, I'm not conforming to the majority of society and I was singled out for it. Really, that isn't common behaviour.

But I'll take the cash prize.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want "not drinking" to be a "big thing", then don't make it a discussion topic.

Boo hoo, I'm not conforming to the majority of society and I was singled out for it. Really, that isn't common behaviour.

But I'll take the cash prize.
    But it's ok for OP's colleagues to potentially harm his career (that is a v. big deal), and make a big deal out of it by constantly going on and on about it on what is meant to be a fun, relaxed night out? Where is the complaint for that? Obviously OP didn't have a "relaxed" night out. If he did, I am pretty sure then that this thread wouldn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just have a drink?

You've said you've NEVER had a drink. And it just doesn't appeal to you. Doesn't mean you shun it, you just don't do it as much. It seems you've decided to be tee-total just for ***** and giggles, which is a bit odd.

To use your Xbox/Ps3 example, just because you've bought an Xbox doesn't mean that you must SHUN THE SONY for fear of the controller searing your flesh.

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? I think it's pretty obvious that discussing it on a forum of strangers is completely different to being grilled about it by my boss.

ReputationRep:
    eh well just tell them you're allergic to alcohol!
    Then they'll probably stop bothering you about it.
    Or just live with it i guess.

(Original post by 3105)
    I can't believe you let him say those things to you.
    Agreed. Especially those last two, i would have decked him by then. Although props to you for sticking to your guns.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.