The Student Room Group

Why do nice guys hardly find love

Scroll to see replies

nice guys dont call themselves nice guys
Usually they're just a bit drab or shy, otherwise insular and not outward-facing. Women tend to look over shy retiring wallflowers.

You can be a sound lad but still have a bit about you.
Original post by gjd800
Usually they're just a bit drab or shy, otherwise insular and not outward-facing. Women tend to look over shy retiring wallflowers.

You can be a sound lad but still have a bit about you.

This sounds exactly like me, except that I don't classify myself as a "nice guy" because fundamentally I'm a horrible person with an awful personality.
Just rephrasing what someone else has said. Being nice is not enough and it's not attractive in itself. Lots of guys think that being nice will get them the girl, but then later on they slowly realise that unfortunately, being nice means nothing and it's a bare minimum for most girls. You need to think about what other qualities you have. And it is not just one thing that makes you attractive, but it is many things added together. If you're just nice, then that's not enough. Do you drive, are you tall, are you fit and healthy, are you hygenic, do you have a good career, are you well educated, are you actually good at anything, do you have any passions and interests, have you achieved anything great in life, have you got a social life, have you got money? As you can see, it is a combination of multiple things that make a person attractive.

I usually see the dating market similar to the job market, because you're competing with other males for the best mate, which means that you need to show off multiple qualities and build on your dating profile, just like your CV. Being nice is just not what will make you attractive, because let's be honest, everyone is nice in their own way, but you need to find a way to stand out and recognise your good qualities. You may disagree but it's true. I have seen hundreds of girls on Tinder who state that they want a guy who's 6 feet tall and who drives a nice car and who has something going for them. They never say, 'I want a nice guy'.
Nice guys are usually too busy focusing on themselves and building an empire. If your focus is women then chances are you’re not a nice guy.
Original post by RichPiana
Nice guys are usually too busy focusing on themselves and building an empire. If your focus is women then chances are you’re not a nice guy.

Nice guys dont build empires. Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates who are recent empire builders are far from nice guys.
Original post by Wired_1800
Nice guys dont build empires. Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates who are recent empire builders are far from nice guys.

If you spent some time in a room with them you’ll likely find that they are some of the nicest people around. People on TSR, however, that’s a whole different story…
If you spent some time in a room with them you’ll likely find that they are some of the nicest people around. People on TSR, however, that’s a whole different story…

Have you heard what people have said about them? Even Elon Musk’s son, who recently transitioned to a girl does not rate him. Gates allegedly cheated on his wife. Jeff Bezos… well we know about Bezos and Amazon.
If you spent some time in a room with them you’ll likely find that they are some of the nicest people around.
People on TSR, however, that’s a whole different story…

Almost as nice as the most successful millionaire lobbyists, magic circle lawyers, political campaign managers, trade union leaders, senior hedge fund staff and investment bankers are. :cool:
Reply 29
Original post by bmdpost
Am so tired of being single n not meeting the right one

What does 'nice guy' mean?
Reply 30
Original post by Wired_1800

But what does it mean to be a nice guy?
Reply 31
Original post by YaliaV123
Yes. They come across as whiny, entitled and creepy.

So, if someone comes to you and says I am not a nice guy, would this be better?
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
nice guys dont call themselves nice guys

True dat.
Original post by VNS_3
But what does it mean to be a nice guy?

To me, a nice guy is a guy who puts other people’s interests ahead of their own for people who don’t really care about him. It is usually the interests of women because he thinks that being nice would help him to secure a potential relationship with the woman.

Most of those guys are not genuinely kind but use the “niceness” as an ulterior motive.
Original post by VNS_3
So, if someone comes to you and says I am not a nice guy, would this be better?

A lot of guys seem to put on a act in order to find a girlfriend or a one night stand, which is kind of deceptive. Every single person has elements of their personality which aren't very nice, therefore the word is largely subjective and kind of meaningless in this context. The OP should work on himself because it doesn't seem like he's ready for a relationship.
Reply 35
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
True dat.

A lot of guys seem to put on a act in order to find a girlfriend or a one night stand, which is kind of deceptive. Every single person has elements of their personality which aren't very nice, therefore the word is largely subjective and kind of meaningless in this context. The OP should work on himself because it doesn't seem like he's ready for a relationship.

By single person do you mean someone not in a relationship or just an individual?
Original post by VNS_3
By single person do you mean someone not in a relationship or just an individual?

Everyone has flaws.
Reply 37
You mean pretending to be nice.
What if someone is this way?
Reply 38
Everyone has flaws.

And so what?
It's human nature not to be 'perfect'.
Only Jesus was perfect.
(edited 1 year ago)
maybe you're not actually nice then?