Biology bsc with lots of field work?

Watch this thread
floppyfish
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What unis have a biology/biological science bsc with a lot of ecology modules and field work opportunities?
Are there any courses which are less lab based and more field based?
accting
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
With most biology degrees, you can basically choose after the first year how much ecology you want to be doing. The first year is very broad, but after that when you're selecting electives you can choose where to focus, and for research projects in the last year you will often be able to design your own fieldwork. Look at the options modules listed for a course -- very often they will tell you whether those modules have field work.

It also depends on what kind of field work you want to do. There's field work in big cities studying urban wildlife, there's fieldwork out in the countryside studying in forests, there's fieldwork on big farms studying ecology and agriculture, and there's overseas/international fieldwork. The happier you are to study the wildlife in the environment that you're already in, the easier it's going to be to find.

Also, keep in mind that people change directions very often. If you haven't done much fieldwork yet, and you haven't done much molecular biology either, you may well discover that you actually prefer a different sub-field of biology.

Anecdotally, I know someone who is a biology lecturer at QMUL/Queen Mary and he's out of the country a several times a year supervising field trips and comes back very tanned and sometimes with snake bites or stories about getting shot at by poachers...
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You'd need to check individual courses, essentially. I know Southampton and UCL both have fieldwork opportunities (the latter also through some biological anthropology modules which may be available to you); Southampton also lets you do a field based dissertation/thesis I believe.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi artful_lounger, thanks for mentioning the University of Southampton . I already provided some information in a similar thread, which can be found here, but I can confirm that we do have fieldwork opportunities. For example, Biology and Zoology students go on residential trips and can travel abroad, to countries such as Spain. We also have an option to do a field project for our dissertation.

All the best,
Agnes - Student Ambassador
You may want to reply to the original poster of this thread and not me...
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by floppyfish)
What unis have a biology/biological science bsc with a lot of ecology modules and field work opportunities?
Are there any courses which are less lab based and more field based?
Hi floppyfish, I already provided some information in a similar thread, which can be found here, but I can confirm that we do have fieldwork opportunities. For example, Biology and Zoology students go on residential trips and can travel abroad, to countries such as Spain. We also have an option to do a field project for our dissertation.

All the best,
Agnes - Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (28)
19.18%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (35)
23.97%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (76)
52.05%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.79%

Watched Threads