Moving out at 17

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can I move out at 17 even if my parents don't agree
username5741914
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-chi...me/moving-out/

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...d_17_year_olds

There are always options, but it's unlikely to be an easy journey. I don't know your situation, but I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking if you didn't believe this is something you have to consider. Hope these resources help. Good luck.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by doublestrokeroll)
https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-chi...me/moving-out/

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...d_17_year_olds

There are always options, but it's unlikely to be an easy journey. I don't know your situation, but I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking if you didn't believe this is something you have to consider. Hope these resources help. Good luck.
But will the police take me home if I move out at 17 and parents don't agree
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It depends upon a variety of factors.
What country you are in, your health & financial situation, national citizenship and access to alternative safe stable accomodation.

Your parents will retain parental responsibility for you until you are 18 or a court removes it from them.
In the uk, you normally do not require parental permission to move out if you are over 16 and healthy.
But you will find it very difficult to find uk private rental accomodation.
Most landlords are not willing to accept tenants or lodgers under 18 and anyone without savings or at least 6 months employment history that pays enough to cover three x the rent & bills.
Do you have adult friends with a spare room or sofa who are willing to consider allowing you stay with them in the short term?
username5741914
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But will the police take me home if I move out at 17 and parents don't agree
It's really not a straightforward answer. The police are unlikely to force you to return home unless your new situation places you in danger.

Read the links I posted. There's loads of advice there.

Alternatively, call these guys and have a chat:

https://www.childline.org.uk

Help is out there and you do have options, but leaving home is not something anyone should contemplate lightly.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
It depends upon a variety of factors.
What country you are in, your health & financial situation, national citizenship and access to alternative safe stable accomodation.

Your parents will retain parental responsibility for you until you are 18 or a court removes it from them.
In the uk, you normally do not require parental permission to move out if you are over 16 and healthy.
But you will find it very difficult to find uk private rental accomodation.
Most landlords are not willing to accept tenants or lodgers under 18 and anyone without savings or at least 6 months employment history that pays enough to cover three x the rent & bills.
Do you have adult friends with a spare room or sofa who are willing to consider allowing you stay with them in the short term?
Well I live in the UK and my sis is 23 she wants to get a flat I can move in with her but I'm only scared that I might have to be sent home by the police
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Well I live in the UK and my sis is 23 she wants to get a flat I can move in with her but I'm only scared that I might have to be sent home by the police
When you're 16+ and reasonably healthy, you have the right to move away from your parents home without their permission.
If your sister has private rental accomodation and is willing to allow you to live with her, that's fine.

Your parents can call the police to report you missing or as having run away from them and then ask the police to find your new address or bring you back to them.
But the police are very unlikely to force you to return to your parents against your will.
Unless you are unsafe or there are at least two opinions from experienced medical & legal professionals that dispute whether you have mental capacity.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
When you're 16+ and reasonably healthy, you have the right to move away from your parents home without their permission.
If your sister has private rental accomodation and is willing to allow you to live with her, that's fine.

Your parents can call the police to report you missing or as having run away from them and then ask the police to find your new address or bring you back to them.
But the police are very unlikely to force you to return to your parents against your will.
Unless you are unsafe or there are at least two opinions from experienced medical & legal professionals that dispute whether you have mental capacity.
Will they tell parents where I am living
AliceKS
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
also consider whether you and/or your sister have the financial means to support you, this might not be the best decision for you so have a long hard think and take a look at some of the helpful links posted above
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Call NSPCC or Childline, they're trained much more knowledgeable about these things.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Call NSPCC or Childline, they're trained much more knowledgeable about these things.
Don't wanna call just text
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Will they tell parents where I am living
It depends on the individual police officers and the type of report that your parents file.

You can tell the police that you don't want any contact with your parents and fear being harassed by them at your workplace & any other address that they discover links to.
Then ask them not to provide any of your contact information or share details about your private life with your parents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69.7%
In the post (3)
3.03%
Text (13)
13.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14.14%

Watched Threads