Are mirrors more realistic than iPhone pictures/camera?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Because in mirrors I look better but in pictures I look fat and my skin looks awful..
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
No, of course real life is fake and your camera / AI algorithm is the real deal.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
No, of course real life is fake and your camera / AI algorithm is the real deal.
Are you being sarcastic? Sorry I’m like autistic probably 😭 and can’t read jokes
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Are you being sarcastic? Sorry I’m like autistic probably 😭 and can’t read jokes
Phone cameras these days enhance your pics (especially if they detect a face) and automatically add "filters".

Mirror = real life, what other people see if you in the flesh. So which do you think is more realistic?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Provided you're not looking at some funhouse mirror, you'll be seeing exactly what everyone else sees but flipped...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Phone cameras these days enhance your pics (especially if they detect a face) and automatically add "filters".

Mirror = real life, what other people see if you in the flesh. So which do you think is more realistic?
The mirror sounds more realistic but when someone takes a pic of me my face is swapped or whatever.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by _gcx)
Provided you're not looking at some funhouse mirror, you'll be seeing exactly what everyone else sees but flipped...
My face is flipped? This makes me feel so insecure. I can’t actually bare my face flipped in cameras… 😭
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
My face is flipped? This makes me feel so insecure. I can’t actually bare my face flipped in cameras… 😭
Mirrors flip what you see because it's a reflection. A camera is more like what other people see.
Anonymous #1
Mirrors flip what you see because it's a reflection. A camera is more like what other people see.
Oh..
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Your image from a camera looks different to how it would in real life for a variety of reasons including different focal lengths, resolutions, how they deal with noise and data compression etc. Also it's fundamentally a 2D image of you, whereas seeing yourself in the mirror you are seeing yourself in real time 3D vision. So your perception will be quite different.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Your image from a camera looks different to how it would in real life for a variety of reasons including different focal lengths, resolutions, how they deal with noise and data compression etc. Also it's fundamentally a 2D image of you, whereas seeing yourself in the mirror you are seeing yourself in real time 3D vision. So your perception will be quite different.
It's just because I look nicer in mirrors and pictures my parents take of me, I look bad in most of them and I look fatter
Noodlzzz
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As above!

The reason you prefer your mirror image is a psychology thing - you it see more than the 'flipped' version. Our brains like familiarity!
Last edited by Noodlzzz; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
An example of how just the focal length of the camera can change your (apparent) appearance can be seen here: https://www.businessinsider.com/came...16-7?r=US&IR=T along with some discussion about the phenomenon.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
As above!

The reason you prefer your mirror image is a psychology thing - you it see more than the 'flipped' version. Our brains like familiarity!
Thank you! people say I am pretty but in pictures it makes me think otherwise. People say I'm photogenic but I really don't see it. I'm just really insecure about how I look
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
An example of how just the focal length of the camera can change your (apparent) appearance can be seen here: https://www.businessinsider.com/came...16-7?r=US&IR=T along with some discussion about the phenomenon.
This makes me feel a lot better because I feel fat when looking at pictures and I look chubby.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This makes me feel a lot better because I feel fat when looking at pictures and I look chubby.
To be fair, some of this may be psychological and you're just being harder in judging your own image than other peoples. I think it's easier to notice our own flaws!
Proxenus
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
picture are more realistic. in mirrors we subconsciously pose to look our best. pictures are what people see
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Mirrors give a more accurate visual of what you look like. Pictures are a 2D image, and your facial features can either be enhanced or "lost" in 2D image, as well as the lighting in the room having a dramatic effect. Hence why some people are more photogenic and can either look better or worse than real life, even if you view them from the same angle as the photo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
28.57%
Take a gap year (22)
15.71%
Resit my exams (38)
27.14%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.57%
I don't know yet (15)
10.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.29%

Watched Threads