Managing med school with ADHD?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have ADHD and I take lisdexamfetamine to help me manage my ADHD and I am starting medical school in September. I am worried about management-considering the huge workload that is ahead of me. I am going to med school as a graduate to do graduate entry medicine, but I do not think my previous degree will be as hard and have as much work as medicine. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice, tips and tricks for how to manage med school, be organised, how to tackle procrastination and how to best study in medical school when you have ADHD? If any current med school students/ doctors here have ADHD and can share their experience and advice on medical school and ADHD it would be much appreciated
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have ADHD and I take lisdexamfetamine to help me manage my ADHD and I am starting medical school in September. I am worried about management-considering the huge workload that is ahead of me. I am going to med school as a graduate to do graduate entry medicine, but I do not think my previous degree will be as hard and have as much work as medicine. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice, tips and tricks for how to manage med school, be organised, how to tackle procrastination and how to best study in medical school when you have ADHD? If any current med school students/ doctors here have ADHD and can share their experience and advice on medical school and ADHD it would be much appreciated
Hi there.

CoochieMan may be able to share how they plan to approach med school.

Good luck for starting in September!
sxraphina.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there I'm not in medical school yet but I will be starting in September and I've got ADHD

I plan on studying using the pomodoro method, I'll probably study for 15-20 minutes and then take a break and repeat that. During A Levels, I didn't learn well by taking or reading notes at all because I'd get distracted so easily so in medical school, I'm going to try using flashcards because there won't be too much information written down so my brain won't wander as easily (if that makes sense?) I've spoken to some medical students and they recommend Anki so that's what I'm going to use

One habit that I will keep with me from A Levels is having a constant routine that I stick to. I want to revise between certain times during the day and in the same way because I feel like I get less distracted when I follow the same routine everyday. I'm also gonna get the forest app on my phone to minimise distractions because my biggest distractor is my phone. You can also get chrome extensions on your laptop that block certain websites between certain times so you can't access them when you're studying. What I also recommend doing is keeping a water bottle near you while you study so you don't need to get up and go to the kitchen to get water. Also keep a few snacks near you for the same reason.

I hope this helps? It's kinda waffley 😭

(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

CoochieMan may be able to share how they plan to approach med school.

Good luck for starting in September!
Thanks for the tag
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads