Medicine or Dentistry gap year

Watch this thread
Alisha.690x
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I study maths bio and chem at a levels. I am in year 12 and my current predicted are AAB. I really wanted to do dentistry/medicine but I doubt I can apply by October with these predicted grades. After giving it some thought I decided to do a gap year and apply for UOB in 2023 October with my actual a level grades. Is this going to affect my chance of getting an offer. Say if I get AAB OR AAA in my a levels and I took a gap year. Will I have a good chance of getting in?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Competition for Medicine is really tough and many will exceed those grades. ecolier can you give more specific advice and move to the Medicine folder.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alisha.690x)
Hi I study maths bio and chem at a levels. I am in year 12 and my current predicted are AAB. I really wanted to do dentistry/medicine but I doubt I can apply by October with these predicted grades. After giving it some thought I decided to do a gap year and apply for UOB in 2023 October with my actual a level grades. Is this going to affect my chance of getting an offer. Say if I get AAB OR AAA in my a levels and I took a gap year. Will I have a good chance of getting in?
Many med schools (don't know about Dentistry - probably the same?) don't care about predicted grades.

How realistic are you that you'll get the actual grades?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Competition for Medicine is really tough and many will exceed those grades. ecolier can you give more specific advice and move to the Medicine folder.
:ta: for the tag but it depends whether OP wants to do Medicine or Dentistry! I have moved this to the Gap Year forum for now.
Alisha.690x
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Right now I’m stuck between mediicne and dentistry. I’m also on a pathway if that’s any good
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Many med schools (don't know about Dentistry - probably the same?) don't care about predicted grades.

How realistic are you that you'll get the actual grades?

:ta: for the tag but it depends whether OP wants to do Medicine or Dentistry! I have moved this to the Gap Year forum for now.
:no:
I can’t think of any dental school that doesn’t consider predicted grades.
Mesopotamian. Any ideas?
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alisha.690x)
Right now I’m stuck between mediicne and dentistry. I’m also on a pathway if that’s any good
Have you done any work experience?
If not, I recommend the 2 online courses for medicine on the first page of this thread and the Sheffield dentistry mooc on futurelearn.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
:no:
I can’t think of any dental school that doesn’t consider predicted grades.
Mesopotamian. Any ideas?
Are we talking about the grades that teachers put down on UCAS? If so, all dental schools require them to meet the minimum of AAA (or A*AA for some schools)* otherwise it’s a guaranteed pre-interview rejection.

If you don’t have the correct predicted grades, you can work hard to achieve them in year 13 and then take a gap year and apply then.

*Unless applying for WP schemes in which case required grades are lower.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads