Can you apply for ucas extra and then go through clearing?

Watch this thread
kfc7
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In case you change your mind or something goes wrong?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Yes. If you dont find what you want in extra you can apply through clearing
kfc7
Rep:
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Yes. If you dont find what you want in extra you can apply through clearing
So allowed to do both right? only thing is that you'll have to reject your extra? I have another question then, lets say you got an offer through extra, then can you talk to other unis for clearing (And get an informal offer) so that then you could decline your offer from extra (Once you got an informal offer from the uni) and take up the potentially better offer?
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kfc7)
So allowed to do both right? only thing is that you'll have to reject your extra? I have another question then, lets say you got an offer through extra, then can you talk to other unis for clearing (And get an informal offer) so that then you could decline your offer from extra (Once you got an informal offer from the uni) and take up the potentially better offer?
Universities are not meant to make offers whilst a student is holding another.offer It is poaching but some do ignore that rule. just be aware not all courses and universities are in clearing and this year most leading universities wont enter clearing or will only enter for less popular subjects
kfc7
Rep:
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Universities are not meant to make offers whilst a student is holding another.offer It is poaching but some do ignore that rule. just be aware not all courses and universities are in clearing and this year most leading universities wont enter clearing or will only enter for less popular subjects
hmmm I see, thanks for the heads up
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The only thing to bear in mind is that the likelihood of a "better offer" being available via Clearing, that wasn't open to Extra, is very slim.
kfc7
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
The only thing to bear in mind is that the likelihood of a "better offer" being available via Clearing, that wasn't open to Extra, is very slim.
I see, thank you very much
kfc7
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
If I previously declined an offer from a university for a certain course can I apply for that same course in extra?
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kfc7)
If I previously declined an offer from a university for a certain course can I apply for that same course in extra?
Yes assuming that course still has vacancies and that is the same for clearing. Everything will be done under clearing rather than extra at this time of year.
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have taken this from another thread on adjustment. Some of this covers clearing so might be useful to you.

Adjustment - No longer offered by UCAS for 2022

UCAS will not be offering Adjustment as an option for applicants in 2022.

Adjustment was a UCAS service in place until 2021. Through Adjustments, students who had met the conditions of all of their firm offer, and had exceeded at least one condition could hold their place and attempt to 'trade up' to a better university. The idea of this was to enable students who did considerably better than expected to apply to a university they had not previously considered.

We have a short FAQ on Adjustment - what it was, and why it no longer exists.

Why is Adjustment being discontinued?
Adjustment in theory seems like a great idea. In reality, very few students actually used Adjustment - many considered it or even pressed the button on Track, but only a very small proportion of applicants actually ended up changing their mind and going somewhere else.

There are lots of reasons for the lack of popularity, but the main ones are:
Students had spent a year or more making the right decision for them, and in fact were very happy with their firm choice and happy to be placed there, so a last minute change was not appealing.
Adjustment listings were not publicly available. There was no way to search for Adjustment listings - applicants had to use the Clearing listing and/or just call up universities which was very labour intensive.
There were also additional considerations such as finding new accommodation and amending student finance which added extra hurdles.

I keep seeing articles and references to Adjustment, are you sure it doesn't exist?
I'm afraid so. The closure of Adjustment was not widely publicised, and for this reason references to it might still be present in school literature, printed reference materials and in some outdated online sources.

The service is no longer available to anyone, in any situation.

Will Adjustment ever return?
We can't rule it out definitively, but it seems very unlikely. In the years Adjustment was active it was never a popular choice and did not justify the resources it used.

What is the alternative for students who would have used Adjustment?
Students who would like to trade up (or go to a different university for whatever reason) would all need to use the 'decline my place' button on track to release themselves into Clearing.

You can still call any university and ask if they have a place for you - this has not changed. If the university is not advertising Clearing vacancies, there is a higher chance they will be unable to offer you a place.

How does Adjustment differ from using Clearing and the 'decline my place' button?
This is different in that your place is not held - once you complete the 'decline my place' process, you no longer hold any place at any university and have no claim to the places you once held - they will be offered to other applicants.

This is therefore far more risky, and students should be absolutely sure they want to apply elsewhere.

If I do better than expected, how do I reduce the risk when applying elsewhere?
The first thing to do is to call universities - many will not speak to you without a Clearing ID (you don't get this until you are placed in Clearing) however this is still worth a try. Explain that you have done better than expected, and try to get an indication as to whether the university would be willing to offer you a place. Crucially, you need to find out how long the university can hold your place for, to give you time to place yourself into Clearing and add it as a choice (you can't add a Clearing choice until 3pm on Results Day).

Need more information about Clearing? Click here to see our ma
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kfc7)
As above, yes, you can apply for a course that you previously held an offer for via Clearing or Extra so long as they are open to applications. Unis don't hold grudges, they won't be bothered that you were previously an offer holder, they want to fill the course.
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If anything being a previous offer holder is usually beneficial in extra/clearing. It shows that the university is one you have researched and aren’t just applying out of desperation
Kingston Reps
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kfc7)
In case you change your mind or something goes wrong?
Hi kfc7

As long as you applied through UCAS and are not holding any offers or waiting for a decision on any of your initial five applications you are allowed to go through UCAS extra. Regarding clearing, you are able to contact universities and complete a clearing application but you will only be able to accept any offers that they may give you once you have declined all your other options from UCAS and add the clearing option to your UCAS account.

Have you looked into our clearing list? Find our available courses for Clearing 2022 here. Or call up the clearing hotline for Kingston University London on 0800 0483 334 and speak to one of our hotliners and look into your options with us!

Before you call - Please make sure you have the following information to hand:
* Exam results, including level two and three GCSE and A-levels/BTEC
*UCAS ID (if you have one).

Hope this all helps and hope everything goes well for you 🤞

Joyce
Current KU student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
32.79%
They're what I expected (19)
31.15%
They're worse than what I expected (22)
36.07%

Watched Threads