Any computer science degrees without any cs background?

Watch this thread
fmksjdjdjd
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know any unis/heard of any unis that accept people into computer science without prior computer science knowledge or study... Preferably in London. I have not done any computer science in secondary nor did I choose it for my a levels.... Instead went for a science based btec but have now changed my mind about where I want to go.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fmksjdjdjd)
Does anyone know any unis/heard of any unis that accept people into computer science without prior computer science knowledge or study... Preferably in London. I have not done any computer science in secondary nor did I choose it for my a levels.... Instead went for a science based btec but have now changed my mind about where I want to go.
Hey fmksjdjdjd

How are you?
It's totally normal to change your mind about what you want to do for a career, so don't worry!

Here at Reading, we offer a number of computer science courses where computer science is not a requirement. We offer:
BSc Computer Science
BSc Computer Science with Industrial Year
BSc Mathematics with Computer Science
BSc Mathematics with Computer Science with Industrial Year

Our courses are accredited by the British Computer Society, and are the perfect route into your chosen career path - whatever that may be in the computer-related realms, as we have links with great industries too!
Reading is not in London, however, we are only a 20 minute train journey away so really it's the best of both worlds I'd say - and transport links are very reliable and frequent which is always a bonus! Placements (should you opt to do one) are often in or around London, so chances are you'd get to venture out there at some point, as well as whenever you'd like in your free time too of course!

You can find out more about what we have to offer here.

If you'd like more information about the course or Reading in general, do let us know - we'd be more than happy to try and help!
Good luck with university searching!

Skye
2nd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fmksjdjdjd)
Most universities do not require prior CS knowledge - you just need to show enough interest in the subject to commit 3/4-years of your life to study it through your UCAS personal statement.

Mathematics A-level is more important than a CS GCSE/A-level, but only really at the "top" universities that focus more on theoretical Computer Science.

I should add that although the rep from the University of Reading above me is boasting about their BCS accreditation, it's not actually that important. Computer Science careers are not like normal engineering careers which actually require chartership. Oxford and Edinburgh have moved away from BCS accreditation over the recent years.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads