Does this matter hugely?

Watch this thread
Idk131
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So for A level maths I am great at pure and have most likely secured a high A grade in it. But I am not that great in stats and mechanics and teachers will combine the grades from the stats and mechs paper with the pure one.

I have the stats and mechs paper coming up but they are only a few questions on stats and mechs (3-5) so if I am not that great in a topic or don't know how to do a question I am kinda screwed. Any ideas? I am doing practice questions for stats + mechs but I guess humans are naturally pessimistic lol
Idk131
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
I just really hate mechanics most of all because if you get part a wrong then you will probably get the rest of the question, if you are lucky enough to have it split into parts. I feel like my mind goes blank with the 6/7/8 markers because I don't really know what to do or if what I am doing is right. Any advice?
Idk131
Rep:
Anyone?
juicygcse
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For a lot of mechanics questions, even if you don't know what you are doing you can pick up some marks by resolving forces and taking moments. Then from there, figure out if its static, constant speed, constant acceleration or variable acceleration. Remember that constant acceleration in SUVAT, variable acceleration is with differentiation/integration. Just try and get some values and you should be able to score a few marks, even if it isn't all of them it will be better than nothing. Also, memorise those definitions (like what does a rod mean, uniform beam, inextensible string, that sort of thing) - you can pick up a couple of easy marks through those

For stats, again definitions are great for those 1 markers. Stats I find is more memorisation than maths. Know your distributions and hypothesis tests (binomial, normal), they can be like worth around 6 marks for what is essentially just memorisation and typing stuff in your calculator. Know the large data set (locations, what are the wettest/windiest months, what months are measured, what tr means) - definitely just something to look over the night before and make sure you have a vague idea of what's going on.
Idk131
Rep:
(Original post by juicygcse)
For a lot of mechanics questions, even if you don't know what you are doing you can pick up some marks by resolving forces and taking moments. Then from there, figure out if its static, constant speed, constant acceleration or variable acceleration. Remember that constant acceleration in SUVAT, variable acceleration is with differentiation/integration. Just try and get some values and you should be able to score a few marks, even if it isn't all of them it will be better than nothing. Also, memorise those definitions (like what does a rod mean, uniform beam, inextensible string, that sort of thing) - you can pick up a couple of easy marks through those

For stats, again definitions are great for those 1 markers. Stats I find is more memorisation than maths. Know your distributions and hypothesis tests (binomial, normal), they can be like worth around 6 marks for what is essentially just memorisation and typing stuff in your calculator. Know the large data set (locations, what are the wettest/windiest months, what months are measured, what tr means) - definitely just something to look over the night before and make sure you have a vague idea of what's going on.
Omg thank you so much!! best advice everr
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads