Personal Statement

Watch this thread
Sachinsandhu
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello I am looking for help on my personal statement can anyone help pls I applying for medicine
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi Sachin,

Please be very careful about who you send your PS to and where you post it on this site - you never know who people really are most of the time, and who might steal and upload your PS to UCAS before you can. Also if you stick it just anywhere on random websites, it can get cached by the UCAS plagiarism checker :eek:

TSR runs a free Personal Statement Review service, where trained/vetted PS Reviewers (myself included!) who have had to prove they are currently at a uni (and thus not in need of stealing your statement) can look at your final personal statement draft. I'm not sure if we've opened yet for the upcoming UCAS cycle but you can create a new thread in this forum https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...lay.php?f=1372 and put your PS there safely.

Don't worry if it looks like a blank forum with nothing else in there - that's how it's supposed to look to applicants! It's a private and secure forum (so won't get flagged by the UCAS plagiarism checker).

Any questions, do let me know
Sachinsandhu
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you for your message I had no idea. Is it possible to ask in person rather than upload of a website as after what you said I don’t want to put my Details online . In case I upload it to the wrong place . Thanks
Last edited by Sachinsandhu; 1 month ago
bea_murray0
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sachinsandhu)
Hello I am looking for help on my personal statement can anyone help pls I applying for medicine
Hi, I can give some general advice but as said don't post your PS anywhere public. Personal statements for medicine are different to other PS since it's more about evidence of work experience and developing any relevant skills than how much you love the subject and how many books you've read about it. Also bear in mind most med schools will barely read your PS and won't score it, so try not to stress about it too much (although make sure it's still a decent standard and relevant). The format I used (for medicine) was:
short intro (a bit more than 100 words) about why I wanted to study medicine, linking in my HPQ (mini EPQ) on medical ethics and how that influenced my decision. I then had a short paragraph about academic things e.g. A level biology and an anatomy MOOC I did, which allowed me to apply what I'd learned to diseases (with an example), and my EPQ and what it taught me about reflection. then a paragraph on my WEX (which was purely virtual at the point of applying), and my reflections it, and about a blog I started, mentioning an article I wrote about gene sequencing for personalised medicine (pharmacogenetics and that), linking it to lifelong learning. I then wrote about the fact I set up a mental well-being club at school after identifying a lack of support in school for mental health (showing initiative, taking responsibility as an older member of the school community, the safeguarding responsibilities involved etc). I wrote briefly about being in my school's student senior leadership team (professionalism, decision making etc), and my part-time job (teamwork in a fast paced environment, taking responsibility fro mistakes). And then a sentence or two at the end saying that I understand medicine is tough but I'd find it rewarding and have the determination to become a good doctor and I find the prospect of lifelong learning and improving lives (NHS constitutional value) motivating.
Sorry that was long, but gives you an idea that you can cram in quite a few things and cover many based in terms of both the academic and caring side of medicine, but keep each thing relatively short and link it to relevant skills. Something that helped me was listing all the extra and supercurricular things I did and what they taught me. I then made a list of every relevant skill I could think of (including those mentioned on the websites of the unis I applied to) and linked an activity to each skill, which helped me cut out anything unnecessary. E.g. doing chemistry Olympiad didn't develop any relevant skills for me so I left it out. My part time job helped me develop lots of interpersonal skills such as conflict resolution, teamwork, communication etc and decision making and taking responsibility, so covered many skills at once, so I included it. Remember, what you did is only as good as your reflection, you could have single-handedly run a maternity ward in rural Africa for 6 months, but if you can't reflect on it, no point including it! The key things to demonstrate are an insight into medicine and having done work experience 9even if it's just online, although get something in-person if you can), ideally link the two, and prioritise those. Things like MOOCs and books probably won't add much, so they're lower priority. Reflect on everything and link everything to a skill, with examples e.g. "my part-time job requires me to take responsibility for my mistake,s such as getting a customer's order wrong and rectifying it by communicating effectively with the customer and my colleagues". Hope this helps, there's always great advice available in the medicine forums as well!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your message I had no idea. Is it possible to ask in person rather than upload of a website as after what you said I don’t want to put my Details online . In case I upload it to the wrong place . Thanks
You can of course ask people you know in real life, if they are knowledgeable people who might be able to help

The PS Review service is only via the forum I posted: we can't review things via Zoom calls or via PM :nah: The link I posted is very safe but if you're worried about posting wrong/in the wrong place, you can start a thread and just say "The_Lonely_Goatherd told me to post my statement in here - is this the right place?" My PS Review line manager can then confirm it's the right place/that you've made the thread correctly, before you post the actual statement - if you see what I mean?
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

I hope you're well It might be a good idea to ask current students in the universities you want to go to and ask about their personal statements, and what they included in order to get accepted. You could find these students on LinkedIn, or Unibuddy, but it might be worth speaking to somebody that's already done it and can offer you a few tips as to whether you're on the right tracks or not.

Best of luck!
Ana - UoL Ambassador.
Sachinsandhu
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you hence I thought this platform would help.
Cote1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep)
Hi there,

I hope you're well It might be a good idea to ask current students in the universities you want to go to and ask about their personal statements, and what they included in order to get accepted. You could find these students on LinkedIn, or Unibuddy, but it might be worth speaking to somebody that's already done it and can offer you a few tips as to whether you're on the right tracks or not.

Best of luck!
Ana - UoL Ambassador.
Only problem is that we don't actually know if the university in question selected the students based, in part, on their personal statements.
Last edited by Cote1; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69.7%
In the post (3)
3.03%
Text (13)
13.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14.14%

Watched Threads