The Student Room Group

A level 2022 Results Countdown: It's here! Best of Luck! #FindYourFuture

Poll

How are you feeling?

Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day).* We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves :biggrin:

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?

For Yr 13:
3. What university is your firm/insurance?
4. Which subject?
5. What grades are required?
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year?

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted?
8. How are you feeling about results day?
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

When can I collect my results from school/college?

That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the details then ring them up on Wednesday the 17th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

How do I collect my results online?

Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

When do unis get our results?

UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Friday/Saturday.
Universities then spend Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

UPDATE: UCAS had all the results delivered to them on time by Friday morning. As of 7:30pm Friday evening universities have the results

I've change my mind about the course/university I want to go to - what do I do?

See this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice*

Track on Results Day

When will UCAS update?

UCAS will go live AFTER 8am on results day. UCAS say 8:15am - it used to go live a little earlier, but the embargo time that UCAS and universities work to has been pushed back from 6am to 8am this year so it WILL NOT be before 8am. The embargo agreement is between UCAS, Universities and A level Exam Boards - no one is going to risk getting in trouble by releasing information early.

It WON'T go live at midnight.

Once it "goes live" EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS.* Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people every year don't get a clear answer from UCAS first thing on Results Day - they have to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance uni.

My UCAS didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
NO - once UCAS goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). UCAS WILL NOT CHANGE between 8am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else.

Give yourself some good karma - get off UCAS hub and go and have a look on the UCAS course search, get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get your results from school/college.

what will UCAS show?

It depends how quick your universities are. There's a lot of scenarios. The post below gives an idea of what might show,what that means and what you need to do about that. Use the flowchart at the end of this post as a quick reference:smile:
Track scenarios
Original post by PQ
Ok let's break it down* Firm is X, insurance is Y
X -CF, Y-CI - neither has decided ring firm
X-CF, Y-UI - insurance has accepted but firm not decided. Ring firm*
X-CF, Y-R - insurance has rejected, firm not decided. Ring firm.
X-UF, Y-CI, firm accepted, insurance not decided. Celebrate.
X-UF, Y-UI, both accepted. You're going to your firm. Celebrate.*
X-UF, Y-R, firm accepted, insurance rejected. You're going to your firm. Celebrate.
X-R, Y-CF firm rejected, insurance not deciding. Ring insurance.*
X-R, Y-UF firm rejected, insurance accepted. Celebrate
X-R, Y-R both rejected. You're in clearing.
This ignores changed course offers which either university can make.* Both universities do their own thing. They don't have time to look what the other is doing.

My UCAS didn't change! That means I failed!

NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS.
If UCAS hasn't changed then that means that either:
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've missed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
In other words - if UCAS hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....150,000 of them were rejected by both their firm and insurance and placed in Clearing. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!

NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers.

If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go* expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Clearing ARRRRGH!

quick guide to Clearing

Spoiler

See the FAQ for more help.

I did really badly - what do I do now?
There will be a thread with information and advice on remakes/remarks/appeals
There will be threads in the applications, clearing and ucas forum for people planning to take a gap year and reapply and help available in the gap years

Results day stats from previous years:

Spoiler

Results Day Flowchart pdf version
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Posting to subscribe :excited:
posting to sub, this looks fabulous @PQ thank you very much!
1. A level
2. Biology Chemistry and religious studies
3. Uni of Surrey firm and Uni of Birmingham insurance
4. Biomedical Science
5. BBC
6. Going this year :smile:
7. AAA (though not sure i'll quite make these :s-smilie:)
8. a bit nervous and a bit excited! just really want to know so i can stop thinking about it and get on to really planning life at uni. mostly nervous about my parent seeing my grades if they are not up to scratch.
9. Good luck everyone recieving grades this year and i hope you all get in where you want!
Thread title updated

Exactly 6 weeks to go :eek3:
Original post by PQ
Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day).* We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves :biggrin:

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?

For Yr 13:
4. Which subject?

For everyone:
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the details then ring them up on Wednesday the 17th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Friday/Saturday.
Universities then spend Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

See this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice*

Track on Results Day

When will UCAS update?

UCAS will go live AFTER 8am on results day. UCAS say 8:15am - it used to go live a little earlier, but the embargo time that UCAS and universities work to has been pushed back from 6am to 8am this year so it WILL NOT be before 8am. The embargo agreement is between UCAS, Universities and A level Exam Boards - no one is going to risk getting in trouble by releasing information early.

Once it "goes live" EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS.* Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people every year don't get a clear answer from UCAS first thing on Results Day - they have to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance uni.

NO - once UCAS goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). UCAS WILL NOT CHANGE between 8am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else.

Give yourself some good karma - get off UCAS hub and go and have a look on the UCAS course search, get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get your results from school/college.

what will UCAS show?

It depends how quick your universities are. There's a lot of scenarios. The post below gives an idea of what might show,what that means and what you need to do about that. Use the flowchart at the end of this post as a quick reference:smile:
Track scenarios

NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS.
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've missed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
In other words - if UCAS hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....150,000 of them were rejected by both their firm and insurance and placed in Clearing. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers.

If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go* expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Clearing ARRRRGH!

quick guide to Clearing

Spoiler

There will be threads in the applications, clearing and ucas forum for people planning to take a gap year and reapply and help available in the gap years

Spoiler

1. AS Levels
2. Biology, Chemistry, Maths
7. We don't have formal predictions, but in my report from january I was predicted ABB
8. I just want to know at this point, think I have got a D in maths because the paper was so unbelievably hard. Think I did alright in the others tho. I want to know so i can start to think about what uni's im going to apply to obvs not gonna apply to AAA unis if i failed maths lmao.
1. A Level
2. Criminology, Politics, Business

3. Firm University of Roehampton
Insurance St Mary's University
4. Primary Education (with QTS)
5. BBB
6. Sept 2022 (fingers crossed)

7. AAB
8. Anxious
Hi guys! Iโ€™ve started to think about results day today and itโ€™s kinda scary even tho itโ€™s so far away
1. A levels
2. English Lit,Geog,HSC
3. I formed Ulster for social work but Iโ€™m hoping to b taken off the queens list for social work
4.BBB/ABB
5.Iโ€™m not sure yet but atm Iโ€™m thinking of deferring to Sept 2023
6.ABC
7. Worried but I canโ€™t do much abut it now
Original post by PQ

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
2. What subjects?

For Yr 13:
4. Which subject?

For everyone:
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

Track on Results Day

When will UCAS update?

what will UCAS show?

Track scenarios

Clearing ARRRRGH!

quick guide to Clearing

Spoiler

Spoiler

brb, borrowing this flowchart
Original post by University of Roehampton (Official)
brb, borrowing this flowchart

My fees are very reasonable
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
Posting to subscribe :excited:

+1

Good luck everyone ๐Ÿ€
good luck guys ๐Ÿฅฒ
Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level?
A level
2. What subjects?
Biology Chemistry Physics Maths :s-smilie:

For Yr 13:
4. Which subject?
Natural Sciences
AAB for firm
something like BC for my insurance lolz
uni this year :biggrin:

excited to find out. scared to see everyone on results day and i really don't know what to do if I don't get into my firm. :redface:

9. Anything else to add?

:nope:
4 weeks to go.
Introduce yourself!

1. AS or A level?
A level

2. What subjects?
English Literature, Psychology, Graphic communication

What are hoping to study at uni?
Architecture

Firmed uni - University of Sheffield
Insurance - Univeristy of Plymouth

Firm - ABB (contextual)
Insurance - Unconditional (yay!)

6. How are you feeling about results day?
I feel okay, no intense emotions right now - I think they'll come when I open the results themselves!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by AliceKS
posting to sub, this looks fabulous @PQ thank you very much!

I've been lurking for a while so thought i might as well introduce myself...

Introduce yourself

1. AS or A level?
A Level so this is final final (screams)

2. What subjects?
I think Year 11 me really enjoyed torture - Biology (AQA), Chemistry (OCR B SALTERS) and Maths (AQA) with an achieved A* in EPQ (Edexcel)
I've put my exam boards in so any AS students can PM me if they want any help, I'd be happy to give it :smile:

Firm - University of Southampton
Insurance - this girl got one offer (which she is proud of) so no insurance, not sure if clearing or gap year but definitely tears involved here

4. Which subject?
Medicine - hence why I'm proud of my solitary offer

AAA (no that's not a scream of pain, that's my required grades)

Uni this year hopefully, every crossable appendage crossed for results day

Edit for formatting cos I'd formatted half of it and not the other half and it was bugging me :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
1. A levels
2. Math, Further Math, Economics, Computer Science

3. Imperial (F) and warwick (B)
4. Computing(F) /computer science(B)
5. A*AAA and Grade 2 in STEP 2 (F), AAA (B)
6. Hopefully this year.

7.A*A*A*A (A in econ), but i feel that I can go as low as A*A*AB (B in econ and A in cs) depending on how others do as I am tettering on the edges of the boundaries. I feel that I could atleast get a grade 3 in STEP, but I need to 2 to guarentee the place.
8. A little worried, I really want to go imperial for cs and don't want a B in economics or a 3 in STEP to ruin that chance.
9. How lenient do you think universities will be on results day compared to previous years, especially universities such as those mentioned above?
(edited 1 year ago)
1. A Level
2.Sociology, Psychology and Biology

3. Surrey- Firm, Liverpool-Insurance
4. Psychology
5.BBC for firm, BCC for insurance
6. Hopefully going this year. If I donโ€™t get the grades I need for my firm or insurance I think Iโ€™ll just not go all together

7.BBC
8. I donโ€™t think it has set in yet that results day is near, it was the same for the actual exams I was calm until I was 30mins into my 3rd paper. But Iโ€™m really excited to see what I get.
9.That I hope everyoneโ€™s results day is okay and I wish you all the best in the next step of your lives
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by AliceKS
I've been lurking for a while so thought i might as well introduce myself...

Introduce yourself

1. AS or A level?
A Level so this is final final (screams)

2. What subjects?
I think Year 11 me really enjoyed torture - Biology (AQA), Chemistry (OCR B SALTERS) and Maths (AQA) with an achieved A* in EPQ (Edexcel)
I've put my exam boards in so any AS students can PM me if they want any help, I'd be happy to give it :smile:

Firm - University of Southampton
Insurance - this girl got one offer (which she is proud of) so no insurance, not sure if clearing or gap year but definitely tears involved here

4. Which subject?
Medicine - hence why I'm proud of my solitary offer

AAA (no that's not a scream of pain, that's my required grades)

Uni this year hopefully, every crossable appendage crossed for results day

Edit for formatting cos I'd formatted half of it and not the other half and it was bugging me :smile:

Cheers for making me laugh during my โ€”-stressโ€”-

Quick Reply

Latest