The Student Room Group

Civil engineering degree, maths physics geography psychology a levels

I want to do a civil engineering degree or

something similair the a levels I’m considering are maths physics geography psychology but I can only do 3. I didn’t do geo gcse but I thought it would link in and idk if to do physics coz it’s the second hardest a level. Psychology I’ve been told is good by people that I know have done it and maths I’ll probably do anyway. Can anyone in a similair situation or has done any of these a levels or done a civil engineering degree give me some advice. Thank youuuu :smile:))
Moved to A-Levels :smile:
If you check the entry requirements for Civils at a range of Unis you will see that some degrees only require Maths so pick 'other subects' where you are most likely to get a good grade. Just be aware that Psych is fairly intensive and Geog might be more useful in terms of subject content.

Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2022/civil-engineering/ - only requires Maths - "You will need a strong performance in Mathematics as part of your entry qualifications. Many applicants also study Physics but you do not need to have done so to study this degree and a challenging arts or humanities subject may be as useful in preparing you for the course."
City, London - https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-students/courses/undergraduate/civil-and-infrastructure-engineering - only specified Maths
Salford - https://www.salford.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/civil-engineering - requires Maths and a second science - Physics, Chemistry, Electronics, Design Technology or Computer Science
Original post by Niamh166
I want to do a civil engineering degree or

something similair the a levels I’m considering are maths physics geography psychology but I can only do 3. I didn’t do geo gcse but I thought it would link in and idk if to do physics coz it’s the second hardest a level. Psychology I’ve been told is good by people that I know have done it and maths I’ll probably do anyway. Can anyone in a similair situation or has done any of these a levels or done a civil engineering degree give me some advice. Thank youuuu :smile:))

I'm currently doing physics, maths and geography, and i'd say it's a good combination. Honestly geography is my easiest(??every alevel is hard though) subject, and it's definitely easy for someone who didn't do gcse geography to catch up. I don't know about other exam boards, but for AQA my entire year 12 was just covering gcse geography again except for 1 topic.
Both the human and physical side of geography tie in with civil engineering well, and some parts in maths overlap with physics which is very useful.
obviously this is all from a biased point of view, i'm sure psychology is good too :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Physics and maths are essential for basically every engineering degree. There are a very small number where you don't need one or the other for entry, but bear in mind you will be doing both throughout the degree, so if you don't want to study those subjects then you won't want to study engineering!

Assuming you take both (because why wouldn't you...), what you take for the third is of less importance. Some unis may prefer a third STEM subject (neither geography nor psychology would qualify as such normally), although this isn't essential. Geography is probably more relevant to the course directly as some of the physical geography topics may overlap in superficial ways with aspects of environmental engineering or geotechnics which is part of civil engineering.

If available, A-level Further Maths would be by far the best preparation as a third subject of any possible A-level choice, for pretty much any engineering degree.

Quick Reply

Latest