Stressed I might fail uni

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I haven't striated uni yet but I'm literally so stressed I will fail. I'm on a gap year and I'm so scared for September and espec uni exams.
Are Uni exams really that difficult to get above 40 in?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I haven't striated uni yet but I'm literally so stressed I will fail. I'm on a gap year and I'm so scared for September and espec uni exams.
The vast majority of students get marks above 40%, so in that sense it's not very difficult.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
Sorry to hear you're feeling stressed, but I promise it is a feeling you will have in common with your fellow students!

I have just finished my first year of uni studying Psychology, and I was also nervous about having exams and passing first year.

What I found was that in your first year your lecturers will usually be available to answer any questions via email or in person during office hours, and any content in your modules will most likely be available on your universities Moodle site during the course of your first year study (so you don't have to memorise everything form the start of the year). This is useful for revision purposes.

This could be course dependant, but I found our exams only contained 'core' reading and information from the second half of first year (anything taught in the lectures, and nothing outside of this). So as long as you attended lectures and completed any reading given, you should be fine! I found that my exams were a lot less intense than I expected, and the grade boundaries were pretty low, as you only needed 40%. This is a lot less than it sounds as e.g. if you have 10 questions, you only need to pass 4

Another good point is that Universities want you to settle into uni during your first year, e.g. spending time with flat mates or getting a feel of what uni life is like, but of course they still want you to pass first year and should offer lots of support, mocks and workshops before exams. Perhaps start exploring what support your university of choice offers. For example the University of Portsmouth offers academic skills workshops, and they actively promote their wellbeing service to support students feeling stressed during exam time, or for just in general.

My advice would be to make sure you attend your future lectures and to practice good time management, e.g. set a day for writing up notes so you can easily look back at them for future reference, this helped me memorise and learn the content easier. I would also suggest connecting with your classmates, and share your concerns, they will probably be feeling the same way, and it will be helpful to have people to study/revise with!

I hope this can put your mind to ease a bit, and help you to be less stressed!
Good luck with your future studies.

-Lauren
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,
Sorry to hear that you've been feeling this way. Starting uni is probably one of the most daunting and often stressful times in our young lives. It seems like your life is going to suddenly completely change. When it comes to it, you tend to take everything in your stride and you don't really notice its happening whilst its happening if that makes sense. Obviously, everyone's experience is different, so you shouldn't think that the experiences of other's will be like your own. You will make your own way and opportunities and when it comes to it I'm sure you'll make the right decisions. In terms of academic nerves, unis are well aware of the pressures on students and go out of their way to support them. The format of learning at uni is very self directed, this leaves universities a lot of time and resources to put their attention into supporting students. The initial weeks might be an adjustment but that's to be expected and embraced. Enjoy yourself and don't worry too much!
-Grace
Durham Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there

I totally understand what you're going through right now- I've been in this position myself. It seemed like uni exams would be much more tough and difficult to score in as compared to school exams which is true to some extent. But it is not very difficult to pass them because you mostly need 40% and most students can achieve that with minimal reading and understanding of the basic concepts.

This obviously varies from course to course- some like Engineering or Maths might be more difficult than say English or History. I study law so it is fairly reading-heavy and I'm not gonna lie, the exams were pretty tough and I spent 15+ hours on every 24-hour exam because they required a ton of research to be able to draft a good answer. But the good thing was that the exams were based on the core reading only and not any outside material or optional reading and I think that's common in the first year at all unis so you needn't worry!

However, time organisation and planning are key. It's best to prepare notes as your lectures go on so you don't have to rush through everything at the end. Make use of the lecture handouts to the best extent possible- I always read the lecture handout first because it gives me an idea of the important material in a chapter and then I amend those as necessary. Smart work is better than hard work so you don't wanna memorise all the content if the exams are online/open book. In that case, make sure you're going through your prepared notes so you understand all the topics. It's best to start revision about 2-3 months in advance so any doubts can be clarified with the tutor or professor.

If you're able to organise your time and notes well, the exams should be pretty smooth sailing. Unis do offer plenty of academic and emotional support especially in your first year. From academic advisors to tutors to the careers and mental counselling service, you've got various support systems available if you ever need help so do reach out to them

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
rdhs100
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you’re on a gap year it’s likely that you will have acquired a few life skills like organisation/time management and comfort in being away from family, which will give you a head start over many coddled 18 year olds fresh from A Levels. The UCAS selection process causes a lot of angst but the universities don’t select people who haven’t got the academic potential to complete the course.A bit of fear is good. It means that maybe you’ll knuckle down and spend an extra hour in the library rather than the pub. You know in films when the hero trains for a fight or learns a new skill, and it’s all shown in like 30 seconds of montage? Imagine yourself in one of those. Consider yourself in the middle of a story, and the last pages of the chapter is you graduating, having succeeded. Do the work your tutors set; take advantage of any ‘study skills’ support most unis offer… and you’ll be fine. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (31)
18.02%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (44)
25.58%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (87)
50.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
5.81%

Watched Threads