Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying my AS Levels, Business, ICT and English Literature. Latley I've been looking at apprenticeships and the pay is really attractive for my age.. 11kish starting.

Thing is 11k is fine for 16/18 but I don't want to be stuck on 'crap' pay forever. It's not even the pay, I just don't want to be a plubmer or whatever.

Well I don't know what to ask. Carry on with my A levels and be skint or do a apprenticeships in something in finance mabye..? What if I screw up my A levels and can't get into the course I want to do, I'd have wasted 2 years of my life in which I could have been halfway through my apprenticeship.

Anyone currently doing a apprenticeship care to provide some insight. I'd especially like to hear from someone who has finished there apprenticeship.

Don't know what to do, help!

Thanks

im an electrical engineering apprentice. best thing i ever did.
    depends where you go really, the company i work for are putting me through all sorts of qualifications and my friend (also an apprentice, different company) does the same.
    have a search around

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying my AS Levels, Business, ICT and English Literature. Latley I've been looking at apprenticeships and the pay is really attractive for my age.. 11kish starting.

Thing is 11k is fine for 16/18 but I don't want to be stuck on 'crap' pay forever. It's not even the pay, I just don't want to be a plumber or whatever. Infact I don't know what I want to do ;\

Well I don't know what to ask. Carry on with my A levels and be skint or do a apprenticeships in something in finance mabye..? What if I screw up my A levels and can't get into the course I want to do, I'd have wasted 2 years of my life in which I could have been halfway through my apprenticeship.

I've also heard that many apprenticeships end up paying about 20~30k which is around about the average graduate pay so you would end up on the same salary expect someone with a degree would have a load of uni fee's to pay.

Anyone currently doing a apprenticeship care to provide some insight. I'd especially like to hear from someone who has finished there apprenticeship. Would someone with a degree have better prospects?

Don't know what to do, help!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    im an electrical engineering apprentice. best thing i ever did.
    depends where you go really, the company i work for are putting me through all sorts of qualifications and my friend (also an apprentice, different company) does the same.
    have a search around
    Did you start your apprenticeship after your GCSE's or after completing A Levels?

(Original post by JAgg)
    Did you start your apprenticeship after your GCSE's or after completing A Levels?
    after a levels. but i hated a levels so i may be biased to comment on them

ReputationRep:
    Now isn't really the best time to be looking for an apprenticeship, its better to look around june/july as they are aimed at school leavers.

So why don't you carry on with you A Levels, and if you still feel like this next year switch to an apprenticeship, you'l have much more choice that way.

My friend did her AS levels and then started an apprenticeship and because of the subjects she did, accounts and economics, it meant that she could start her accounting apprenticeship from the second year. So you might not actually be wasting 2 years depending on what you want to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.