The Student Room Group

Unsure about A Level choices

I just finished my GCSES but now I’m uncertain about my A Level choices.
Currently my options are: English Literature, Maths and Philosophy.
I don’t know what I want to do at university but am thinking in the realm of English, Philosophy, Liberal Arts etc
I loved English Lit and am a good essayist and reader so I’m more set on that one.
I want to do a STEM subject just to keep my options more open so I’m thinking either Maths or Psychology. I’m good at Maths and enjoy it, especially as reprieve from essay subjects, but Psychology look interesting albeit kind of useless unless I want to do it at degree (which I probably don’t) - and even then Psych A Level isn’t usually a pre-requisite.
I’m also debating between History and Philosophy. I might want to do History at degree and it is a very useful A level to have for most courses but Philosophy seems interesting and appeals to my interest. However I’m unsure how valued it is - Philosophy courses at uni don’t seem to care if you took it at A Level or not. So do I stick with the more traditional and valued (?) history or go with philosophy?
Original post by c.emily
I just finished my GCSES but now I’m uncertain about my A Level choices.
Currently my options are: English Literature, Maths and Philosophy.
I don’t know what I want to do at university but am thinking in the realm of English, Philosophy, Liberal Arts etc
I loved English Lit and am a good essayist and reader so I’m more set on that one.
I want to do a STEM subject just to keep my options more open so I’m thinking either Maths or Psychology. I’m good at Maths and enjoy it, especially as reprieve from essay subjects, but Psychology look interesting albeit kind of useless unless I want to do it at degree (which I probably don’t) - and even then Psych A Level isn’t usually a pre-requisite.
I’m also debating between History and Philosophy. I might want to do History at degree and it is a very useful A level to have for most courses but Philosophy seems interesting and appeals to my interest. However I’m unsure how valued it is - Philosophy courses at uni don’t seem to care if you took it at A Level or not. So do I stick with the more traditional and valued (?) history or go with philosophy?

I would recommend maths over psychology if you want to keep your options open.
Imo, History at A level is more useful than philosophy, particularly if it involves coursework.
However, if philosophy interests you, you might perform better.
Go to an open day/taster day at your preferred college to get a better idea.

Quick Reply

Latest