Summer School

Watch this thread
Stephanie223
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello guys, i’m starting to get very scared because i’m applying to medicine this year and i just realised many people are going to summer school which apparently is really good for your personal statement if you’ve done one. to be completely honest i was depending on one summer school held by medic mentor i applied to but unfortunately did not get picked to be fully funded and i’ve been looking for more opportunities but of course it is now very late and many of the free opportunities are closed. what should i do? i’m starting to get very anxious about not attending any summer schools and i can’t pay +£1000 on summer school on university like oxford or cambridge which have not closed yet.
neworleans678
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Stephanie223)
Hello guys, i’m starting to get very scared because i’m applying to medicine this year and i just realised many people are going to summer school which apparently is really good for your personal statement if you’ve done one. to be completely honest i was depending on one summer school held by medic mentor i applied to but unfortunately did not get picked to be fully funded and i’ve been looking for more opportunities but of course it is now very late and many of the free opportunities are closed. what should i do? i’m starting to get very anxious about not attending any summer schools and i can’t pay +£1000 on summer school on university like oxford or cambridge which have not closed yet.
just enjoy ur holiday… there’s plenty of other things you can do to put on ur personal statement. I don’t know anyone doing summer school
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As above - it is not essential to have done of one these summer schools etc.
Uns offer them to encourage applications to their Med School, not because they 'prefer' those who have done it.
Useful book that would cover all the 'advice' and 'tips' they would give you - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-int.../dp/191294362X

There are lots of other things you can do tto get ideas about 'higher thinking; idea to include in your PS and evidnece that you undertsnd what the career is all about. MOOCs - free short online courses offered by Unis - are useful. Any 'caring' experience you can get - volunteer work in a care-home is ideal. Any 'people' experience you can get - p/t job etc., other volunteering etc.

Useful MOOCs -
Introduction to Applying for Medicine - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/study-medicine
What drives the Body - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...rives-the-body
etc.

Useful reading (pick a couple - you dont need to read them all)
Gawande, Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
Marmot, The Health Gap: The Challenge of an Unequal World
Nashef, The Naked Surgeon
Clarke, R. Your Life in my Hands: a Junior Doctor’s Story
Kalanithi, P. When Breath Becomes Air.
Last edited by McGinger; 1 month ago
Stephanie223
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thank you so much! i couldn’t sleep all night thinking i wouldn’t get into the unis i wanted because i didn’t apply for any summer schools haha i will try to get a part time job or something
astrodame13
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi Stephanie,First of all, don't worry! Summer School is not a necessity, but more of a reassurance for students who want to get their personal statements out of the way before UCAT/BMAT revision. Medic Mentor have mentored many students who didn't attend Summer School, and they still get offers due to their own hard work, research and organisation. Personally, Medic Mentor have helped me via their other programmes too - look at their Awards Programme (which is basically the Med equivalent of DofE but WAY more relevant to your application), Leadership Programme, Virtual Medical Society and Virtual Work Experience (this will look AMAZING on your application), Book Club (great for wider reading) and you can subscribe to their magazine called 'Mentor.'the reason Summer School is so expensive is because it funds its other free programmes, and of course some of the funds go to accommodation etc.Again, universities will NOT favour you more if you attend Summer School, and I can guarantee you that it won't come up in your application process. It's basically just a personal statement and interview bootcamp with some wider reading. Again, you can practice interview skills and look up wider reading in your own time. I would actually recommend calling the Helpline number: 01530 417 299 and ask them if you could chat to a mentor about what to do if you didn't get into Summer School. They're always happy to help and they're super friendly!I hope this eases your worries - at the end of the day, your own brilliance cannot be bought! Summer School is a helping hand, not an exclusive club. I hope you have a lovely day and make sure to rest up! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads