The Student Room Group

Any good universities that will accept D*D*D

I have a low GCSE profile. placing between 5s and 6s, therefore applying for economics is a struggle due to having a strong maths GCSE is necessary.

However, id consider my BTEC profile a lot more stronger and can be deemed as impressive (not to big myself up) for universities.

But i believe that the BTEC grade wont cover the lack of high GCSE grades.
I found York, Lancaster and East Anglia really supportive of strong BTEC. I was applying for Business, so a similar area. I did an EPQ which was welcomed at York. Lancaster were flexible and encouraging on BTEC as were EA. A lot of other unit's take BTEC but as you say GCSE results for business/economics are needed. I found it daft that the so called 'highly academic' type subjects didn't insist on specific GCSE grades as i could have applied to these subjects easier. My BTEC grades are predicted the same as yours and my GCSE grades were mainly 7/8's. Hope that helps.
Original post by JPF6
I have a low GCSE profile. placing between 5s and 6s, therefore applying for economics is a struggle due to having a strong maths GCSE is necessary.

However, id consider my BTEC profile a lot more stronger and can be deemed as impressive (not to big myself up) for universities.

1) Look on Unis websites for the courses you want to do and check the Entry Requirements - most will list BTEC requirements. If they dont, emai and ask. Be aware that many STEM subjects, especially at top Unis, will often want an additional A level.

2) Specified GCSE grades are not an optional extra - if a Uni says it wants 'GCSE Maths at grade 6' or whatever then that IS what they want and high grade BTECs or A levels will not make up for that. Applying without required GCSE grades is the quickest way to get a speedy rejection. If you are in Y12 now then ask your school about resitting any required GCSEs next June - any Uni offer would just include this as an extra condition.
Original post by McGinger
1) Look on Unis websites for the courses you want to do and check the Entry Requirements - most will list BTEC requirements. If they dont, emai and ask. Be aware that many STEM subjects, especially at top Unis, will often want an additional A level.

2) Specified GCSE grades are not an optional extra - if a Uni says it wants 'GCSE Maths at grade 6' or whatever then that IS what they want and high grade BTECs or A levels will not make up for that. Applying without required GCSE grades is the quickest way to get a speedy rejection. If you are in Y12 now then ask your school about resitting any required GCSEs next June - any Uni offer would just include this as an extra condition.

totally agree and I forgot to mention that. The universities i mentioned 'specifically' mentioned the GCSE grades required and these were generally 'lower' than other top end unis' ie York are a high ranking univ and asked for math grade 4 with GCSE and happy to accept BTEC. Loughborough also a high achieving specify a min of grade 6 for GCSE math. I got offers from both but as mentioned above the required GCSE from Loughborough formed part of the offer.
Original post by JPF6

Firstly an Economics degree especially at higher ranked degrees is basically a Maths degree. For that reasons A level Maths is nearly always a requirement either in addition to a BTEC or as one of the A levels.

Secondly the subject the BTEC is being taken will be critical to whether you will get an offer. A BTEC in Business would be more likely to get an offer rather than a BTEC in things like Public Service or Travel and Tourism.

Outside of the top 20 or so universities most will accept students without A level Maths but will require a set grade for Maths at GCSE and this will apply to BTEC or A level students. If you dont meet the GCSE requirement you will get rejected.

I assume your BTEC is the extended diploma or whatever it is called now.

If Maths is not your strong point then reconsider wther Economics is the right degree for you. Look into something with less Maths such as politics.

I list below a number of decent universities that accept students for Economics without A level Maths and their GCSE requirements. If you dont meet it re sit it. Most if not all will accept a BTEC extended diploma but it will depend on subject and whether they need D*D*D* or lower.

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JPF6

Hi @JPF6

As mentioned by others, many universities accept BTEC qualifications - including for Economics courses. For example, our BA Economics course accepts BTEC Extended Diploma at grade DDM, alongside a grade 5/B in GCSE maths. If you've already got your grades, then I'd recommend giving the universities you're interested in a call when Clearing opens tomorrow (Tuesday 5 July) and asking about the entry requirements for their Economics courses.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Gurpreet - NTU Rep
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi @JPF6

As mentioned by others, many universities accept BTEC qualifications - including for Economics courses. For example, our BA Economics course accepts BTEC Extended Diploma at grade DDM, alongside a grade 5/B in GCSE maths. If you've already got your grades, then I'd recommend giving the universities you're interested in a call when Clearing opens tomorrow (Tuesday 5 July) and asking about the entry requirements for their Economics courses.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Gurpreet - NTU Rep

I am interested in NTU, visited the city campus a few days ago for the open day.
I am just trying to broaden my choices.
Original post by JPF6

Hi there,

For Economics BSc at Aston University, The BTEC requirements are as follows:

BTEC Extended Diploma DDD standard offer.

BTEC Extended Diploma DDM Contextual offer.

And the GCSE requirements are as follows:

5 GCSE grades A*/9 C/4 to include:

GCSE Maths grade B/5

GCSE English Language OR English Literature grade C/4

*Ethel
Original post by JPF6

Hi!

I am a student rep for the University of Kent and as others have correctly mentioned, entry requirements for Economics BSc(Hons) are a GCSE Mathematics grade B/5. The university also considers applicants with a BTEC National Diploma and National Extended Diploma qualifications (QCF; NQF; OCR). They require a BBB-BBC from three full A levels without specifying a need for a grade in A Level Mathematics. I will copy the link to the university's official page for this course so you can find more information: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/109/economics
If you still have question, you can find the contacts to the School of Economics (find more information here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/economics/) and you can reach out to the department with any specific inquiry you may have.

So far, I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Best of luck!

Tracy
UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending