emergency do i drop a level maths ?

Watch this thread
peteryoungy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I do Economics maths and computer science. In my mock exam I got A* A and D in maths.

I am thinking of dropping maths and replacing it with business.

I got A* in Economics so I think that I will get A* in business a level.

I have checked unis as I do want to remain in London and they don't require a level maths. also I got 8 in gcse maths.

should i make that decision. Maths is the subject i have studied the most but i ended up with E in which it worries me. If i continue with maths i might end up in the lower rank unis or doing a foundation year.

should i drop it ?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
The combination of business studies and economics is usually strongly discouraged by unis and some even outright do not consider them separately to meet a 3 A-level offer (so you would in their eyes be only taking two A-levels). I would thus not recommend taking business studies specifically.

However if you are doing poorly at maths you would probably want to think about taking a different subject though, just probably not business studies.
peteryoungy
Rep:
reason being i chose business is that i believe that it will prevent me from repeating the year. in my year there are people who business and economics and managed to get an offer for QMUL

These are the unis i will consider if i take busoiness

soas
qmul
university of surrey
royal holloway
university of roehampton
Greenwich university
peteryoungy
Rep:
i think i will get away with it as there's many people in my school taking econ and business
peteryoungy
Rep:
Any ideas need to make my decision today ?
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by peteryoungy)
Any ideas need to make my decision today ?
If you know what degree you want to take, look at the desired grades and the subjects they want them in to see whether they'll accept Economics and Business Studies as separate A-Levels. If you find that enough courses do so, you might be able to take it, otherwise you'll have to think of something else that you were good at during GCSEs.
peteryoungy
Rep:
Looked at the requirement listed above doesn’t mention anything business and economics. I do believe that if I take business and drop maths I will get A*A* B.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Looked at the requirement listed above doesn’t mention anything business and economics. I do believe that if I take business and drop maths I will get A*A* B.
Maths will give you many more options. What grade have you been working at? Are you prepared to work at your Maths.

My school would not allow you to pick up another subject so late, nor to do BS and Economics.
Behemouth
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Maths will give you many more options. What grade have you been working at? Are you prepared to work at your Maths.

My school would not allow you to pick up another subject so late, nor to do BS and Economics.
say if you do badly on a subject in y12 and you improve in y13 is there a chance they can bump up your grades if you show improvement?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Behemouth)
say if you do badly on a subject in y12 and you improve in y13 is there a chance they can bump up your grades if you show improvement?
Yes - talk to your teacher and work over the summer. Show you have improged - there's time before UCAS deadline to improve. We do change predictions up and sometimes even down if someone stops working!
Behemouth
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes - talk to your teacher and work over the summer. Show you have improged - there's time before UCAS deadline to improve. We do change predictions up and sometimes even down if someone stops working!
Okay, am in y13 and just did my a levels. was just interested but thank you
Confusedboutlife
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
So I do Economics maths and computer science. In my mock exam I got A* A and D in maths.

I am thinking of dropping maths and replacing it with business.

I got A* in Economics so I think that I will get A* in business a level.

I have checked unis as I do want to remain in London and they don't require a level maths. also I got 8 in gcse maths.

should i make that decision. Maths is the subject i have studied the most but i ended up with E in which it worries me. If i continue with maths i might end up in the lower rank unis or doing a foundation year.

should i drop it ?
If you got maths to an A or even a B you'd have many options. But if you've already worked hard/ smart at it and know you'll struggle to improve/ it will make your life miserable, then I'd say go ahead and drop it! IDK why you landed on buisiness as a replacement: while it is true it's similar to economics so might be less to study, you could do another one of your GCSE options that you liked and aim for another high grade! If you feel that would be hard to do, then I guess doing Econ and Buisiness is your best option. I'm not sure if it will rule you out from a lot of courses (probably some), though it may make you look slightly less competitive than other applicants.
Last edited by Confusedboutlife; 4 weeks ago
peteryoungy
Rep:

My school would not allow you to pick up another subject so late, nor to do BS and Economics.t
The lowest grade I got in economics was a B and I have got a* 3 times now. I got E in maths even though it is the subject that I have been working the most for. My teacher knows that I have got the highest in econ for 3 times in a row in which I will tell my head of sixth form he also teaches me econ that if I work a lot during the summer I should be on track in getting a good grade.
peteryoungy
Rep:
(Original post by Behemouth)
I am not sure if I just do exam question over the summer and take an exam at oct to see where I am. As I am very scared with maths.
peteryoungy
Rep:
I have just saw someone who studies accounting and that they did bated business extended diploma. As it is only coursework I do believe that I will get in as a level are more respected than BTEC.
peteryoungy
Rep:
If i keep maths then how on earth should I get it to a C at the least even though this was the subject that I studied the most.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
reason being i chose business is that i believe that it will prevent me from repeating the year. in my year there are people who business and economics and managed to get an offer for QMUL

These are the unis i will consider if i take busoiness

soas
qmul
university of surrey
royal holloway
university of roehampton
Greenwich university
Probably fine for those unis then, although given your excellent grades otherwise it seems a shame to not take a different subject and consider UCL/LSE/KCL if you plan to stay in London (and many other unis if you look outside of London including Oxbridge).
peteryoungy
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Probably fine for those unis then, although given your excellent grades otherwise it seems a shame to not take a different subject and consider UCL/LSE/KCL if you plan to stay in London (and many other unis if you look outside of London including Oxbridge).
Need to speak to my head of sixth form of whether he will allow me. Just can’t see myself repeating another academic year.
Behemouth
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Need to speak to my head of sixth form of whether he will allow me. Just can’t see myself repeating another academic year.
Have you used maths resources in your revision? It can't be too late to go from a D to an A in A level maths.
Tlmaths is really good for maths revision, his yt is really good.
Alisha.690x
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Maths is going to get harder as you progress. If you feel like maths is hard for you I think it is best if you drop if for an a level you are best suited at. However if u feel like you can improve with effort then it’s best to keep it because maths is a strong subject which looks extremely good when applying to unis. If you don’t need maths as a requirement for the unis you want to go to then it’s not exactly necessary to stick to it . Changing it to business studies would perhaps give you a better combination of grades.
Before making your decision, ask yourself if you can improve on maths because overall maths does outweigh business studies if you are able to get an A*-B in maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69.7%
In the post (3)
3.03%
Text (13)
13.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14.14%

Watched Threads