If I got a 57% in second year llb at Leeds, can I still get a 2:1 overall

Watch this thread
paulanderson455
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm quite dissapointed with my results this year and really hope to improve them in third year.
y_emil
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes absolutely!!! I would suggest over the summer reading through all your feedback and seeing what you could do to get higher grades next year. Also see if your university offers any help through the library, as I go to uni of Leeds and they offered skills for enhancing my academic writing so that might be of use to you!
Miracle Day
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes

P.s most of not all units have a rule whereby if your average is 58% and half your modules were graded 2.1 or above you get bumped up to a 2.1
Last edited by Miracle Day; 4 weeks ago
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes. You just need to ensure that your result next just is sufficiently above 60% to offset the 57% in Year 2. How are the years weighted on your course? You can probably get away with 62% in Year 3 and still make 60% overall. As 57% clearly isn't a million miles away from 62%, it's certainly achievable.
MyNameIsAiyan
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
2:2 is good either way. Getting a 2;1 in third year is possible if the work is done
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Year three counts more towards your final grade than second year does, so a 2:1 is a realistic goal. You can definitely achieve this. Over the summer, go over all your feedback in your second year essays, and if you spot common areas of improvement i.e they mention you using descriptive writing instead of critical writing, then use this to make a list for yourself of how to write a better essay.

You can then either work on these areas over the summer, or, when you go back to uni, find out what resources they have available to help you improve, such as, what sessions are they running either in person or online at the Skills centre, are there online university resources, can your personal tutor help and so on.

Some tips for improving include:

1) Use critical writing. To do this, it is important to use counter arguments. The best way I have found to do this is to state what you think by using evidence from someone else's research, then find differing research/a different theory, one that could argue against what you first said, then find research either discrediting this second person or one in further support of the first person, saying this is why that is actually the stronger theory. This way you are making your point critically, even countering your counter argument, and have shown wider reading on the topic. If you scroll down on this site https://libguides.shu.ac.uk/academicwriting it gives an example on how to do this.
2) Make sure your views are all backed up by research/evidence.
3) Look into academic skills sessions your university holds and attend sessions.
4) Follow your learning outcome. Aim for the 1st, then you are likely to at least get a 2:1.
5) Study with others. You can go to the library and all work together. You can motivate each other and give each other advice
6) Make an appointment with your personal tutor to go over all the feedback on your assignments, so they can help you come up with a plan to improve
7) Speak to your academic advisor

I hope you find this helpful.

- Rosie
Last edited by hallamstudents; 4 weeks ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by paulanderson455)
I'm quite dissapointed with my results this year and really hope to improve them in third year.
The question is not, is it possible...
But what will you do to improve your average so that you get a 2.1...
L.Grylls
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I got a 2:2 overall last year, averaging 57.6%. This year I completely switched it up, I tactically picked modules that i thought I would do well in, not ones I thought I would necessarily enjoy or find useful. This tactical change allowed me to get mostly 1sts and one 2:1. Haven't got my classification yet, but according to the calculator Leeds provides, I got a 2:1 overall. You can definitely do this too.
paulanderson455
Rep:
(Original post by DataVenia)
Yes. You just need to ensure that your result next just is sufficiently above 60% to offset the 57% in Year 2. How are the years weighted on your course? You can probably get away with 62% in Year 3 and still make 60% overall. As 57% clearly isn't a million miles away from 62%, it's certainly achievable.
Thanks for your help! I believe that in all courses at leeds if you perform better in third year your final year marks are double weighted. I will be putting a lot more work in for final year so hope this plays in my favour.
paulanderson455
Rep:
(Original post by L.Grylls)
I got a 2:2 overall last year, averaging 57.6%. This year I completely switched it up, I tactically picked modules that i thought I would do well in, not ones I thought I would necessarily enjoy or find useful. This tactical change allowed me to get mostly 1sts and one 2:1. Haven't got my classification yet, but according to the calculator Leeds provides, I got a 2:1 overall. You can definitely do this too.
Thanks for the help! Do you know where I could find this calculator? My personal tutor is not too helpful when it comes to questions like this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69.7%
In the post (3)
3.03%
Text (13)
13.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14.14%

Watched Threads