The Student Room Group

How lenient are Birmingham or York for entry?

I'm studying maths, physics, English lit and EPQ
I'm predicted AAC (C in Physics)
I'm also starting AS Further Maths in Y13.
I expressed my enthusiasm and prep pretty well in my PS
The entry requirements for Maths and Philosophy at Birmingham and York are AAB
Should I still apply or is it a waste of time?
Thanks!
The usual advice for your 5 UCAS choices is :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grades

More advice about How to Avoid 5 Rejections here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Btw, getting a decent grade in Physics is worth far more than an EPQ or an additional AS.
Focus on your 3 main subjects, and forget the 'extras'.
Reply 2
I've got a short list with a variety of requirements.

Liverpool ~ ABB (ABC with A in EPQ)
Royal Holloway ~ ABC
Southampton ~ ABB (BBB with A in EPQ)
Keele ~ ACC
And either Birmingham or York (can't decide which)

What do you think of me trying my luck with Birmingham or York as a 'risky' choice?

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
The usual advice for your 5 UCAS choices is :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grades

More advice about How to Avoid 5 Rejections here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Btw, getting a decent grade in Physics is worth far more than an EPQ or an additional AS.
Focus on your 3 main subjects, and forget the 'extras'.

I'm also gonna work my arse off to try for a B in Physics as it is one of my main subjects at the end of the day.
Hi, I’ve just finished year 13 myself and I too am doing maths and philosophy at university next year. I don’t know about Birmingham myself but I put York down and got an offer, I believe they ask for AAB if I’m not mistaken? Personally I didn’t like the place much so rejected them but the university and course itself did look pretty good tbf. If you’re predicted AAC I don’t see why you wouldn’t be given strong consideration for an offer especially if you manage to get an a or a star in epq (although it is true that EPQ’s don’t matter too much to unis), so if you want to apply I wouldn’t let that predicted C in physics stop you! Hope this helps.
Reply 5
Original post by Rex paludis
Hi, I’ve just finished year 13 myself and I too am doing maths and philosophy at university next year. I don’t know about Birmingham myself but I put York down and got an offer, I believe they ask for AAB if I’m not mistaken? Personally I didn’t like the place much so rejected them but the university and course itself did look pretty good tbf. If you’re predicted AAC I don’t see why you wouldn’t be given strong consideration for an offer especially if you manage to get an a or a star in epq (although it is true that EPQ’s don’t matter too much to unis), so if you want to apply I wouldn’t let that predicted C in physics stop you! Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks so much!!
I have a couple of questions if it's okay.

1) where will you be studying?
2) what a levels did you do?
3) what did you achieve/what are you predicted?

Thanksss
Yep no worries, happy to answer.
So once I heard back from all the uni’s I applied too I put Manchester as my first choice, essentially the fact that I liked the city so much was really the decider for me seeing as I thought the courses everywhere I applied all looked v good. For my insurance choice I kept Sheffield just because it was asking for lower entry requirements than Manchester and I also really liked the city.

For A levels I did Maths, English and Philosophy, (hence you can see where the interest in the combination of the two arose from).

And as for what I think I’ll get, I was predicted A* A A in year 12 and that’s what I need to get into Manchester, I’m not sure if I’ll get it I mean I think exams went well but you know you never know, I think if I don’t though I’ll be at least fine for getting into Sheffield which really wouldn’t be the end of the world. I also did an EPQ in year 12 and got a B in it, unfortunately I was one mark off an A ahah. But anyway hopefully that serves as reassurance that if you don’t do amazing in your EPQ it won’t hinder you too much I don’t think, it’s one of those things where if you do outstanding in it a fair few unis will lower entrance requirements but just doing average won’t hinder your application.

Quick Reply