There is no G.O.A.T

Watch this thread
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In this modern age we've been overusing the term GOAT to define who we think is the Greatest of All Time. I know there are many personalities worthy of such labels, and if you truly believe in the concept of a GOAT then you do you, but personally I think it's a load of rubbish.

The problem I have when it comes to defining someone as a GOAT, is that it's completely ignorant of everyone else. We hold aloft Lewis Hamilton in F1 as the Greatest of All Time, simply because he broken many records in the motorsport and is revered as much as an Ed Sheeran or The Undertaker in the realm of the WWE.

However, there are so many talents that deserve just as much adulation and credit as the ones we're all frothing over like a class of seizure-suffering orangutans. Instead, there are a pantheon of greats who define an era, because what is a "GOAT" without his or her competition?

Second of all do we ever think about what we're saying when we say someone is a greatest of all time? We've been on this planet for two-hundred thousand years if Google is to be believed, and in that time I'm sure there are many who have been considered the greatest at something over and over again. GOATs can move from one person to the next-from Muhammed Ali to Mike Tyson, so how can there only be just one?

People also say stuff like "they are the GOATs," which is in its entirety saying they are the Greatest of all Times-which doesn't make sense.

Also to say "of all time" is bogus because we don't know if there will be greater athletes in the future who will come along and make the previous "GOAT" obsolete. Again, this is why a pantheon of greats is a much better, fairer and more sensible way of defining the best.
Brief Chaos
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for that insightful essay
Spelunker
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
wrong the GOAT is the apple crumble lady from BGT.
sufys
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JDINCINERATOR)
In this modern age we've been overusing the term GOAT to define who we think is the Greatest of All Time. I know there are many personalities worthy of such labels, and if you truly believe in the concept of a GOAT then you do you, but personally I think it's a load of rubbish.

The problem I have when it comes to defining someone as a GOAT, is that it's completely ignorant of everyone else. We hold aloft Lewis Hamilton in F1 as the Greatest of All Time, simply because he broken many records in the motorsport and is revered as much as an Ed Sheeran or The Undertaker in the realm of the WWE.

However, there are so many talents that deserve just as much adulation and credit as the ones we're all frothing over like a class of seizure-suffering orangutans. Instead, there are a pantheon of greats who define an era, because what is a "GOAT" without his or her competition?

Second of all do we ever think about what we're saying when we say someone is a greatest of all time? We've been on this planet for two-hundred thousand years if Google is to be believed, and in that time I'm sure there are many who have been considered the greatest at something over and over again. GOATs can move from one person to the next-from Muhammed Ali to Mike Tyson, so how can there only be just one?

People also say stuff like "they are the GOATs," which is in its entirety saying they are the Greatest of all Times-which doesn't make sense.

Also to say "of all time" is bogus because we don't know if there will be greater athletes in the future who will come along and make the previous "GOAT" obsolete. Again, this is why a pantheon of greats is a much better, fairer and more sensible way of defining the best.
The greatest of all time would obviously mean the greatest of all time that has passed (so time that does not yet exist - the future - is irrelevant), so your last point is a moot point.

There's also nothing wrong with the applicability of the term to a person(s) being volatile. If the GOAT changes, the previous GOAT is no longer a GOAT.

A lesser talent does not deserve as much "adulation and credit" as a greater talent.

Just debating this because why not?
Last edited by sufys; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (23)
30.67%