A level chemistry can & medicine

Watch this thread
melissa9021
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m writing this to ask for advice from people and would really appreciate if you guys could help me out!!
how on earth do you revise for a level chemistry? I revise the content and then when I look at exam questions I seem to be so clueless as the application is a little tricky. So do I have to do loads of practice application questions and then I’ll eventually get the hang of it? Plus could anyone give me methods that they use that works for them that could also potentially work for me too?!

Additionally, i did both my chem AS mocks and I know for a fact I have not performed very well on them due to this reason however I have a strong feeling I have performed well on my other 2 subjects which is bio and psych.

What do I do if I have received a bad predicted grade in chem but a good on in my other 2 subjects? Do I just apply next year and work harder to achieve a good grade in chem?
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by melissa9021)
I’m writing this to ask for advice from people and would really appreciate if you guys could help me out!!
how on earth do you revise for a level chemistry? I revise the content and then when I look at exam questions I seem to be so clueless as the application is a little tricky. So do I have to do loads of practice application questions and then I’ll eventually get the hang of it? Plus could anyone give me methods that they use that works for them that could also potentially work for me too?!
Practice questions are the best way to learn how you should approach questions in chemistry. Try to look things up if you get stuck instead of going straight to the mark scheme as it can help with understanding.
Additionally, i did both my chem AS mocks and I know for a fact I have not performed very well on them due to this reason however I have a strong feeling I have performed well on my other 2 subjects which is bio and psych.

What do I do if I have received a bad predicted grade in chem but a good on in my other 2 subjects? Do I just apply next year and work harder to achieve a good grade in chem?
You need AAA minimum for medicine. If you get predicted below AAA then the best option is to do your best in your A-level exams and apply with actual grades.
TypicalNerd
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Practice questions are the best way to learn how you should approach questions in chemistry. Try to look things up if you get stuck instead of going straight to the mark scheme as it can help with understanding.
Couldn’t agree much more about the use of practice questions.

I’d say that there are some brilliant YouTube channels out there for most of the exam boards, which are pretty epic too. If you just say which exam board you are doing, I’ll see what resources I can find you.
Spelunker
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i would suggest Allery chemistry and elliot rintoul for revising content as they really helped me understand more about the content and they go through some past paper questions.
past paer questions are really important because some questions are always similar and if you keep practising them you will start to be able to answer some questions without a lot of thought. you can make some model answers for certain questions.
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I strongly recommend focusing on past paper questions and past exams under exam conditions. Doing practice papers can also help you identify what you do and don't understand fully so you can focus on the weaker areas rather than trying to revise everything. For all you A-levels, exam technique is just as important as understanding the content.

If you're in year 12, your predicted grade can still go up before you submit your UCAS as you've got some time. You can also talk to your teachers about it to see what they think (ask them whether they think you can increase your predicted grade in time and how you can go about doing that).

Good luck!
melissa9021
Rep:
(Original post by hungrysalamander)

You need AAA minimum for medicine. If you get predicted below AAA then the best option is to do your best in your A-level exams and apply with actual grades.
Thank you very much for your advice. I feel as though you're right I need to start approaching exam questions rather than learning the content and methodology. I suppose that's what I am going to have to do if my school doesn't do anymore mocks before ucas submissions.
melissa9021
Rep:
(Original post by TypicalNerd)
Couldn’t agree much more about the use of practice questions.

I’d say that there are some brilliant YouTube channels out there for most of the exam boards, which are pretty epic too. If you just say which exam board you are doing, I’ll see what resources I can find you.
I do AQA and thank you very much!!
melissa9021
Rep:
(Original post by Spelunker)
i would suggest Allery chemistry and elliot rintoul for revising content as they really helped me understand more about the content and they go through some past paper questions.
past paer questions are really important because some questions are always similar and if you keep practising them you will start to be able to answer some questions without a lot of thought. you can make some model answers for certain questions.
yes!! I use those videos to take my notes however I think it'd the lack of exam practice that resulted in my doing quite poorly and I completely agree with you. thank you very much for your advice.
TypicalNerd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
General:
The Exam Formula (my favoured source of past papers): https://www.theexamformula.co.uk/
PMT (notes and topic specific questions): https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...stry-revision/
Study Mind: https://studymind.co.uk/revision-not...vel-chemistry/
Allery Chemistry: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPt...25YHw5SPGdPz0g

AQA specific:
Dr Clay (Website): https://drclays-alevelchemistry.com/
Dr Clay (Youtube): https://www.youtube.com/user/DocClay1978?app=desktop
Eliot Rintoul: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCps...su6-b-7mwK41lg
melissa9021
Rep:
(Original post by kaorimiyazono)
Yeah I strongly recommend focusing on past paper questions and past exams under exam conditions. Doing practice papers can also help you identify what you do and don't understand fully so you can focus on the weaker areas rather than trying to revise everything. For all you A-levels, exam technique is just as important as understanding the content.

If you're in year 12, your predicted grade can still go up before you submit your UCAS as you've got some time. You can also talk to your teachers about it to see what they think (ask them whether they think you can increase your predicted grade in time and how you can go about doing that).

Good luck!
now I know how vital exam technique is paired with the content and yes hopefully my school does mocks again so I can actually practice past papers/questions and apply it to my new exams. thank you very much for your advice!!
TypicalNerd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
May also be worth looking at, seeing as they have specimen set 2: https://plutoniumscience.com/past-pa...-chemistry-pp/
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by melissa9021)
now I know how vital exam technique is paired with the content and yes hopefully my school does mocks again so I can actually practice past papers/questions and apply it to my new exams. thank you very much for your advice!!
Np and good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads