Working part time on a vet med course

Watch this thread
Helena3001
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I’m helena. I’m a graduate biomed student who is looking to apply for vet med.

I’ll be funding the course out of my own pocket, so was wondering if those doing or have done vet med were able to work part time whilst studying.

I appreciate any response, thank you so much!
RambleAmple
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I've just finished my first year at vet school although I am not a graduate. I think the general consensus is it is possible, especially in years 1-3, but it isn't the easiest thing. Generally the course is expected to be Monday-Friday 9-5pm, and it is a tough course, not so much in difficulty understanding things but there is just so much content to go over so you'll have to do some studying outside of the 9-5. It is also very stressful and I think being able to engage in hobbies, seeing friends and whatnot is very important to be able to get through the course. If you are highly organised and have a high work ethic etc then working part time would be fine but I wouldn't be picking up too many hours and overworking yourself. There are a lot of people in my year who do have part time jobs, but I'd say the majority do not. I personally could not have handled one in first year, but I also had a gap year before and lived off those savings so I suppose I didn't have a 'need', I'm more considering getting my preclinical placements done ASAP so I can get a summer job next year. It is also a bit difficult with placements since obviously those might be different hours and in different places so it depends if the job would be cool with those kind of arrangements. That being said I have no insight into working in the clinical years once you start rotations etc, I imagine that would be much harder.
AHB27
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Helena3001)
Hi everyone, I’m helena. I’m a graduate biomed student who is looking to apply for vet med.

I’ll be funding the course out of my own pocket, so was wondering if those doing or have done vet med were able to work part time whilst studying.

I appreciate any response, thank you so much!
If you could avoid it I would. It’s possible but hard, you need a really disciplined work ethic and you also don’t want to burn yourself out.

My advice would be try and find an employer who is flexible and understanding. I’ve heard tuition is a popular side hustle since you ultimately get to pick when you work. Also, exhaust any source of free money you can - notably scholarships and bursaries. Every university will have some form of either/both. Some companies offer scholarships, such as IVC Evidensia and their ethnic diversity scholarship.
Last edited by AHB27; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
33.33%
Take a gap year (5)
20.83%
Resit my exams (6)
25%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12.5%
I don't know yet (1)
4.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.17%

Watched Threads