The Student Room Group

Grads applying to A100 2023 Entry

Dear

I was unable to find a thread titled "Grads applying to A100 2023 Entry" so made one.

Will be extremely thankful if you make necessary changes to reflect the other useful threads.

Sorry if this thread has already been made (if thats the case please delete this)

Welcome to the grads applying to standard undergrad medicine 2023 entry thread.

Other useful threads
Medical Schools Index 2023 entry (for specific med school entry discussions): not made yet
Undergrad Medicine 2023 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6902612
GEM 2023 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6655172
UCAT 2023 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7161733
BMAT 2023 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7211426
GAMSAT 2023 / 2024 entry discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126849

Previous grads applying to A100 threads
2021 entry: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6653952
2022 entry: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6992837

Template for the thread
Applied:
UCAT:
BMAT:
GAMSAT:
Achieved A-Levels/Access course: (if relevant to the entry requirements for the university you are applying to, if not leave it blank)
Predicted / achieved degree:

University 1 / UCAS code
Date: (date) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

University 2 / UCAS code

University 3 / UCAS code

University 4 / UCAS code

Firm:
Insurance:

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi
Are any graduates applying to 5 year medicine courses? If so, which ones are you applying to?
Reply 2
Sorry for that. I thought I had lost my thread. New on here so still figuring stuff out...
Hi all,

Can anyone advise whether Glasgow accept an employer's reference as my UCAS reference for A100? I graduated from my MSc in 2020, and my other choices have indicated that an employers reference would be preferable, but other universities are strictly requiring an academic reference. Has anyone successfully used an employer's reference in this situation? I have emailed the admissions office a couple of times in the last 2 months but haven't got anything back.

Thanks!
They don't publish any info on acceptable references as many other unis do, and have not responded to my enquiries. My other preferred choice has stated to me that they'd prefer an employer's reference in my circumstances, and I'm conscious that I'm only able to submit one reference though UCAS.

My MSc supervisor has stated he'd be happy to provide one, it'd just be nice to provide what my other choice have stated they'd prefer.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by a100gradapp
They don't publish any info on acceptable references as many other unis do, and have not responded to my enquiries. My other preferred choice has stated to me that they'd prefer an employer's reference in my circumstances, and I'm conscious that I'm only able to submit one reference though UCAS.

My MSc supervisor has stated he'd be happy to provide one, it'd just be nice to provide what my other choice have stated they'd prefer.

I think reference is usually a formality and in my experience, if the universities are not happy with the UCAS reference, they will normally email you to ask you to provide an additional reference from an academic or an employer, depending.

I'd double check Glasgow's site as many universities allow grads to submit two references. Presumably one through UCAS and the other directly to the medical admissions team.
Hi all,

Can anyone advise whether Glasgow accept an employer's reference as my UCAS reference for A100? I graduated from my MSc in 2020, and my other choices have indicated that an employers reference would be preferable, but other universities are strictly requiring an academic reference. Has anyone successfully used an employer's reference in this situation? I have emailed the admissions office a couple of times in the last 2 months but haven't got anything back.

Thanks!

Hi. I'm a grad who's starting at Glasgow in September :smile:

Glasgow want one academic reference. I got one from my BSc dissertation supervisor - ut was very short and sweet, and I graduated in 2016. I did MSc afterwards but didn't really know anyone well enough to ask! And you can only submit one reference for Glasgow, they use the UCAT one. TBH you know that they only look at UCAT score after they tick off that you met minimum req, right?
Original post by bunbunbun
I'd double check Glasgow's site as many universities allow grads to submit two references. Presumably one through UCAS and the other directly to the medical admissions team.

Glasgow don't allow you to submit an additional one.
Original post by eion tusk
Hey guys, I'm planing to apply for A100 as a graduate for next years cycle, I'd appreciate if any of the grads who did the same this cycle could possibly share their UCAT scores please.
I got 2860 - B2, and am not sure if this will be good enough.
Thank you.

I'm a grad starting med at Glasgow in September and got 2750 B1 back in 2020 (deferred entry). I also had an offer from Aberdeen.
Original post by eion tusk
Hey guys, I'm planing to apply for A100 as a graduate for next years cycle, I'd appreciate if any of the grads who did the same this cycle could possibly share their UCAT scores please.
I got 2860 - B2, and am not sure if this will be good enough.
Thank you.

Hi, I got 2990 B2 and I had offers from UEA and SGUL. I think your UCAT should be okay for UEA. SGUL cut-off for grads was 2810 last year so hopefully it will also be okay for you. All the best!
Hi, I’m probably gonna apply for 2 undergrad, 2 postgrad haven’t decided which yet tho. I’ve got a small selection cause I retook my A-levels and a lot of undergrad medicine courses don’t accept retakes. I got AAB, 7A*/3A GCSE’s and 2820 Band 1 in UCAT. I’m hoping to be predicted a first in my biomed degree. :smile:
Does anyone know how the degree prediction works when applying to medicine? Do they ask for a transcript etc. or is it based on simply what you put in your UCAS application?
Hi guys,

I just sat my UCAT today and i got a 2810 B1. I have a 2:1 degree prediction (uni of birms biomed department really hate second years!) and im wondering whether this is good enough to apply anywhere? I have AAA alevels in bio, chem and psych but i know most places dont really care about regardless. Kinda wish id had the medicine epiphany before doing a degree as that wouldve been much easier :/

Obviously want to apply strategically as to maximise my chance of getting in somewhere! Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by _kiiara_
Does anyone know how the degree prediction works when applying to medicine? Do they ask for a transcript etc. or is it based on simply what you put in your UCAS application?

It varies from med school to med school, some will ask for a transcript, some won't, I think
Hi guys,

I just sat my UCAT today and i got a 2810 B1. I have a 2:1 degree prediction (uni of birms biomed department really hate second years!) and im wondering whether this is good enough to apply anywhere? I have AAA alevels in bio, chem and psych but i know most places dont really care about regardless. Kinda wish id had the medicine epiphany before doing a degree as that wouldve been much easier :/

Obviously want to apply strategically as to maximise my chance of getting in somewhere! Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

You have lots of choices, including Warwick for GEM. Most A100s do actually care about A levels, even for grads
Avoid Bristol, Newcastle, Glasgow, St Andrews, Edinburgh, SGUL, Barts, possibly Southampton
You do not mention GCSEs, so cannot say re Kings and Dundee
Not sure how much QUB, Cardiff and HYMS need a 1st
Not sure what is needed for Brum
I would avoid Keele and SUnderland as they use the R&R form, which is very subjective
Other than that, you look to be OK most places.
Thank you so much for your quick reply and for all your advice! Didnt think GCSEs were relevant but i did pretty well in them (four 9s, four 8s, one 7, one A and one A*) so hope that helps out!

In regards to Warwick my only problem is I dont currently have the minimum work experience hours needed! Would it be possible to make up for the 70hr requirement (give or take as i do have a few hours of shadowing experience and such) before applications need to be sent off? When i quickly looked at their page it seemed they were very specific in what they will/wont accept towards the 70hrs
Original post by GANFYD
It varies from med school to med school, some will ask for a transcript, some won't, I think

You have lots of choices, including Warwick for GEM. Most A100s do actually care about A levels, even for grads
Avoid Bristol, Newcastle, Glasgow, St Andrews, Edinburgh, SGUL, Barts, possibly Southampton
You do not mention GCSEs, so cannot say re Kings and Dundee
Not sure how much QUB, Cardiff and HYMS need a 1st
Not sure what is needed for Brum
I would avoid Keele and SUnderland as they use the R&R form, which is very subjective
Other than that, you look to be OK most places.
Thank you so much for your quick reply and for all your advice! Didnt think GCSEs were relevant but i did pretty well in them (four 9s, four 8s, one 7, one A and one A*) so hope that helps out!

In regards to Warwick my only problem is I dont currently have the minimum work experience hours needed! Would it be possible to make up for the 70hr requirement (give or take as i do have a few hours of shadowing experience and such) before applications need to be sent off? When i quickly looked at their page it seemed they were very specific in what they will/wont accept towards the 70hrs

Warwick are very specific, but it is 70 hours, so at 8 hours a day, it is <2 weeks work, albeit on 2 experiences. I don't know whether oyou can get that in the next 7 weeks - probably not if not already in process, not least due to DBS issues

Kings will score you the same as school leavers, so GCSEs, UCAT and SJT, but unless your 7 & A are core subjects, you should be OK
Dundee score everything, so you are probably too low in A levels and degree classification for them
I calculated the specifics of the work experience requirements and i already have ~20 hours of online work experience, as well as 8hrs of in person shadowing. Im also waiting to finalise a role as a volunteer vaccinator with St johns ambulance which they now accept due to the covid climate. Their page states that the work experience survey needs to be completed by October 31st so i think i might try get as much experience as i can across September and review whether it may be worth applying to Warwick based on how many hours i manage to get done! Regardless, thank you so so much for all of your info, its been super helpful! :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Warwick are very specific, but it is 70 hours, so at 8 hours a day, it is <2 weeks work, albeit on 2 experiences. I don't know whether oyou can get that in the next 7 weeks - probably not if not already in process, not least due to DBS issues

Kings will score you the same as school leavers, so GCSEs, UCAT and SJT, but unless your 7 & A are core subjects, you should be OK
Dundee score everything, so you are probably too low in A levels and degree classification for them
I calculated the specifics of the work experience requirements and i already have ~20 hours of online work experience, as well as 8hrs of in person shadowing. Im also waiting to finalise a role as a volunteer vaccinator with St johns ambulance which they now accept due to the covid climate. Their page states that the work experience survey needs to be completed by October 31st so i think i might try get as much experience as i can across September and review whether it may be worth applying to Warwick based on how many hours i manage to get done! Regardless, thank you so so much for all of your info, its been super helpful! :smile:

In recent years, they have maxed out online WEx allowed at 10 hours, I believe, however much you have done, and it counts as part of the shadowing element, so you have that virtually achieved, and need 50 hours of hand on stuff. Good luck!!

The website says the survey is due then but all work experience has to be completed by the 15th October. I found a place that will accept my DBS from the NHS I previously got. Nursing homes will be more flexible than hospitals. It also says it has to be hands on so befriending on wards and portering and admin jobs don’t count remember

Quick Reply

Latest