The Student Room Group

Can't decide which qu for history coursework

Hello, I'm just starting my Year 13 WJEC history coursework and am struggling to decide which question/topic to do, between the two that our school offers.

Cold War/Cuban Missile Crisis
Pros:
- New and definitely more interesting as I've never really learned about this, and I am interested in modern history around this time
Cons:
- Quite a challenging question that's rather political (about how the US administration acted), compared to the Hitler question which I would have a lot more knowledge about
- A totally new topic that I really have no idea about, so would probably involve way more research and I may struggle a lot more with understanding it all
- Hard to find sources for this question
- (Teacher is possibly harder to approach?)

WW2 causes/Hitler
Pros:
- We have done WW2 at least 2 times in our school years in history, so I am quite familiar with this topic. Would involve less research and I would probably be more likely to do well
- Easier to find sources for this question
- (Teacher is clear and easy to approach)
Cons:
- We have done WW2 so many times, that it feels quite repetitive and boring to go over it again
- Potentially less relevant to what I want to study in the future (but still a huge part of my interest, modern history, and still really fascinating for me - I've just done it a lot before (though of course in less depth than in A Levels I presume))

Any outside advice? (I have been leaning to Cold War because of my interest but am now really doubting myself.) Thanks :smile:
No advice but good luck
Original post by sabrina19_
Hello, I'm just starting my Year 13 WJEC history coursework and am struggling to decide which question/topic to do, between the two that our school offers.

Cold War/Cuban Missile Crisis
Pros:
- New and definitely more interesting as I've never really learned about this, and I am interested in modern history around this time
Cons:
- Quite a challenging question that's rather political (about how the US administration acted), compared to the Hitler question which I would have a lot more knowledge about
- A totally new topic that I really have no idea about, so would probably involve way more research and I may struggle a lot more with understanding it all
- Hard to find sources for this question
- (Teacher is possibly harder to approach?)

WW2 causes/Hitler
Pros:
- We have done WW2 at least 2 times in our school years in history, so I am quite familiar with this topic. Would involve less research and I would probably be more likely to do well
- Easier to find sources for this question
- (Teacher is clear and easy to approach)
Cons:
- We have done WW2 so many times, that it feels quite repetitive and boring to go over it again
- Potentially less relevant to what I want to study in the future (but still a huge part of my interest, modern history, and still really fascinating for me - I've just done it a lot before (though of course in less depth than in A Levels I presume))

Any outside advice? (I have been leaning to Cold War because of my interest but am now really doubting myself.) Thanks :smile:

Hi @sabrina19_

I would always recommend choosing the topic you have the most interest in. If you are interested in the topic, even though it may involve more research, you will be more motivated to write it, and research always improves your writing! I personally find writing about a topic I have little interest in very laborious and having to force myself to write doesn't produce the best quality of work.

Regarding your teachers I am sure both will be able to help you with the core skills of how to write and research well, and where to find sources.

Ultimately, it is you decision and only you can make it! It might be a fun challenge to explore something new, or it might just be a safe bet to tread familiar ground.

Best of luck with whichever question you choose! :smile:

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)
Heyyyy while I’d say pick the topic you’re interested in, as someone who just finished her coursework like 4 weeks ago I would 110% advise you to go for something you have more knowledge on. But that being the case, Cold War is also good cause you are studying it rn but if you know more about WW then go w it. Good luck
(I got a 30 :frown:, I hope u get more xxxx🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending