I'm the only one without a phone (teenager)

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm the only teenager without a phone i'm in 9th grade and my phone got tooken away like for a year now and since i'm starting high school i'm afraid to go without a phone i also get super jealous of people my age with a phone and i've tried asking my mom but she is super strict and refuses to ever buy me one i'm literally heart broken (what should i do now) btw my dad is also strict he refuses to buy me a phone too.
RushingRiver
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm the only teenager without a phone i'm in 9th grade and my phone got tooken away like for a year now and since i'm starting high school i'm afraid to go without a phone i also get super jealous of people my age with a phone and i've tried asking my mom but she is super strict and refuses to ever buy me one i'm literally heart broken (what should i do now) btw my dad is also strict he refuses to buy me a phone too.
In the nicest way possible.. you should just learn to deal with it.

I’m in year 10 (I’m 15) and I didn’t have a phone for over a year. I have one now, under strict supervision at all times. Yeah, it’s annoying. But you don’t need a phone to survive and the fact that you’re “heartbroken” suggests some kind of social media addiction that you need to break free from.

Besides, you’re on TSR, so you clearly have some sort of device at least. I didn’t! Make the most of what you do have.

Just don’t do anything - you can live without a phone, and you’re under 18 so there’s not much you can do about it anyway. I don’t take my phone to school, and for a while when I didn’t have a phone at all, I found it beneficial. Go outside. Take up a hobby. You don’t need a phone to be happy!
Last edited by RushingRiver; 1 month ago
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
No mobile phone? Lucky you!

You can get on with things in peace with no one pestering you.

No upfront cost for the phone and no monthly subscription fees.

No device to carry around with you.

Nothing that you need to charge every 1 to 4 days.

No chance of your parents tracking where you are 24/7.

No endless hours staring at and interacting with something with a tiny screen and stupid little input touchscreen buttons.

No electromagnetic waves right next to your brain.

You are different to most people - in a nice enough way - because of your mum and dad's approach to parenting.

Your disappointment at not having a phone should be an important life lesson. Gadgets, consumer goods, chasing after them and lusting after them is a mug's game. You don't need them to be content.
Wanting to be like everyone else is you submitting to the matrix and being a good little boy or girl. It's you being manipulated. Aim to be different to everyone else, internally. Release the consumerist lust. Go your own path in life instead of following everyone else like a sheep.

Make "What else?" the question that you ask yourself most often. What else can you do with your time? What else can you do with your money? The vast majority of the time there will be better alternatives than what most people do.
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Kids these days... so what if you don't have a phone? If anything, you are avoiding all the BS associated with them. At your age I was happy with a Nokia 3310.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You know what friends did before mobile phones? Talked to each other face-to-face at school: had conversations, told jokes and made arrangements to meet up. Try it, it works!
dasmanamesss
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don't have mine either... like until now.. im 16! and i don't have a phone.. well i did used to but it got taken away when i was 13... its been 3 years and im dying too.. its very hard to like communicate with others cuz no one else looks up from their phones...i know how you feel...
LillyTeganLavSul
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
trust me ur not the only person not 2 have a phone.
Im nearly 16. and i have 2 deal with emailing people. its so lame!!!!!
ask if u can get a job somewhere and buy urself one maybe??
btw, i used 2 have a phone, but...i misused it apparently, so....yh...
Serene Dreams
Report 1 month ago
Although I agree with most people on this thread and yes, you do not strictly need a phone, I don't think some of the advice is helpful in that it completely disregards the feelings of the poster. OP is in Year 9, so what, 14? At such a young age most people want to fit in and social media is how most friends keep in touch, so I imagine it makes OP feel left out.

Not really sure what advice to give you as I have no idea why your parents are choosing to not get you one. Have you tried explaining how you feel to them?
LillyTeganLavSul
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RushingRiver)
In the nicest way possible.. you should just learn to deal with it.

I’m in year 10 (I’m 15) and I didn’t have a phone for over a year. I have one now, under strict supervision at all times. Yeah, it’s annoying. But you don’t need a phone to survive and the fact that you’re “heartbroken” suggests some kind of social media addiction that you need to break free from.

Besides, you’re on TSR, so you clearly have some sort of device at least. I didn’t! Make the most of what you do have.

Just don’t do anything - you can live without a phone, and you’re under 18 so there’s not much you can do about it anyway. I don’t take my phone to school, and for a while when I didn’t have a phone at all, I found it beneficial. Go outside. Take up a hobby. You don’t need a phone to be happy!
Im in yr 10 too, and trust me, im so much better without a phone - im not addicted, cuz i dont have a phone anymore!!!!
so much better 4 ur mental health!!!!
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Serene Dreams)
Although I agree with most people on this thread and yes, you do not strictly need a phone, I don't think some of the advice is helpful in that it completely disregards the feelings of the poster. OP is in Year 9, so what, 14? At such a young age most people want to fit in and social media is how most friends keep in touch, so I imagine it makes OP feel left out.

Not really sure what advice to give you as I have no idea why your parents are choosing to not get you one. Have you tried explaining how you feel to them?
prsom
Adz2042
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
having no phone is the best possible thing.
guarantee that most adults you know didn't have phones when they were in 9th grade.
LillyTeganLavSul
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Adz2042)
having no phone is the best possible thing.
guarantee that most adults you know didn't have phones when they were in 9th grade.
100% agree!!!!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
You kinda just have to suck it up! I was left like this for a while. Everyone would ask me for my phone number etc meanwhile I was just trying to avoid the subject.

Whatever you do, don’t ask again, it generally just makes it worse. If you have an addiction, maybe losing it is for the best.

Just have time away from the screen and then you might get it back!
LillyTeganLavSul
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You kinda just have to suck it up! I was left like this for a while. Everyone would ask me for my phone number etc meanwhile I was just trying to avoid the subject.

Whatever you do, don’t ask again, it generally just makes it worse. If you have an addiction, maybe losing it is for the best.

Just have time away from the screen and then you might get it back!
Same!!! so many people have asked me for my number, but i dont even have a phone!!!
haha
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LillyTeganLavSul)
trust me ur not the only person not 2 have a phone.
Im nearly 16. and i have 2 deal with emailing people. its so lame!!!!!
ask if u can get a job somewhere and buy urself one maybe??
btw, i used 2 have a phone, but...i misused it apparently, so....yh...
misuse it ? :confused:

(Original post by gtty123)
Kids these days... so what if you don't have a phone? If anything, you are avoiding all the BS associated with them. At your age I was happy with a Nokia 3310.
Didn't lots of people use Blackberry's back in the day?
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
I'm 16 and I've never had a phone (getting one soon tho) and honestly, after hearing how toxic and addictive social media can be I'm glad I didn't get one. I'm lucky to have a laptop that I email friends with but like others have said, it's not the end of the world and you could always arrange to meet friends outside of school, which i certainly wasn't allowed to do. In a way, you're unique in saying you manage life without the need for social media, it's fun to see people's faces when I tell them I've never had a phone. My advice is to find a hobby, this is the opportune time to branch out you interests and discover something you're passionate about! Make the best out of a 'bad' situation I say
gtty123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Didn't lots of people use Blackberry's back in the day?
The privileged few did, yes. It wasn't common in my year, personally.
xox416
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
People survived without cell phones for decades.
You'll be ok.
mari_101
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LillyTeganLavSul)
Im in yr 10 too, and trust me, im so much better without a phone - im not addicted, cuz i dont have a phone anymore!!!!
so much better 4 ur mental health!!!!
im in year 10 as well and i have never owned a phone and my mum said i never will until im married lmao😂
still i really want one and i feel like my mental health is suffering because i constantly feel as if im missing out on things on social media
but everyone tells me its good
dw ur not the only one out there👍🏽
Other_Owl
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
32.79%
They're what I expected (19)
31.15%
They're worse than what I expected (22)
36.07%

Watched Threads